X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As if we didn't expect this...

2 passengers on Chicago crash plane sue Southwest
    Tue Dec 20, 2005 04:32 PM ET
    NEW YORK, Dec 20 (Reuters) - Two passengers on a Southwest Airlines (LUV.N: Quote, Profile, Research) plane that skidded off a runway earlier this month, killing one person, have sued the airline, Boeing Co. (BA.N: Quote, Profile, Research) and the city of Chicago, their lawyer said on Tuesday.

The passengers, Mariko Bennett and Stanley Penn, claim to have sustained injuries when the Boeing 737-700 aircraft plunged through a fence-like barrier and onto a busy street, killing a child riding in a car.

Southwest did not immediately return phone calls seeking comment on the lawsuit, which accuses it of negligence and conscious disregard for safety. Boeing could not immediately be reached for comment.
    So, anyone willing to estimate for how many millions they will be suing ?

Notice pleading does not require a set amount...usually the language "in an amount in excess of Ten Thousand Dollars" is all that is required to invoke the jurisdiction of the trial court. The amount will be determined during and after discovery is complete. Talk about killing some trees there....jeez.

There is some benefit to being a lawyer in real life....
    Last edited by okairpix; 2005-12-20, 21:51. Reason: typo....spell check didn't catch it.
    Culture is roughly anything we do that the monkeys do not. --Lord Raglan
    For more of my shots have a look at www.okairpix.smugmug.com

Comment

I hope what they sue for is the amount for medical bills and such, i think its ridiculous to sue for more then absolutely needed. Of course iv never been hurt enough to sue so I can't comment right now but from what i know..I would only sue for medical bills and thats it.

Alex
      Stop Searching. Start Traveling. southwest.com

Comment

Peope here sue for everything. I wonder how much they'll get.
        sigpic
        http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

From a legal perspective, there anre many culpable parties here and that all too often equates to major monetary damages, that if assesd correctly could lead to massive settlements or rather embarassing and public court incidences. So here is my take on this issue.

The airline is to blame - the passengers were under the care of the airline at the time of the incident. This is the same reason to justify all other incidents of this nature.

The airport authorities (i.e. the county/city) is to blame - they could have installed more security and safety features at the airport that could have avoided an incident or at least diminished the events that took place as a direct result of the incident.

The federal government is to blame - according to their laws, their own agencies failed to properly adress that safety issues at the airport. They ordered more space to remain between runways and streets prior to this incident, and they are at fault for not enforcing the ruling with greater vigilance.
          Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

What in the hell are they sueing boeing for? It sounds to me most of it was pilot error, not going around for starters, let alone landing too late. And then the thrust reversers may have been because they landed too softly on the snow, or it could be a WN maint problem, but I fail to see how you can sue boeing for this at this point and time. I have also heard that they family of the 6 year old boy is going to sue. Saw it on the news tonight.

Although the father didnt seem very educated telling someone to move the plane off the car immediately. Saw that remark on the TV tonight, I was like WTF, ok lets just get man to lift the nose of a good 100,000 pound aircraft

Comment

Originally posted by chrisburns
              What in the hell are they sueing boeing for? It sounds to me most of it was pilot error, not going around for starters, let alone landing too late. And then the thrust reversers may have been because they landed too softly on the snow, or it could be a WN maint problem, but I fail to see how you can sue boeing for this at this point and time. I have also heard that they family of the 6 year old boy is going to sue. Saw it on the news tonight.
              It is America, we are sue happy. we will find any connection we can to sue. and I do not blame the family for sueing SWA, SWA killed their son. It was sad and tragic though.

Alex
              Stop Searching. Start Traveling. southwest.com

Comment

What in the hell are they sueing boeing for?
                Because they can, and because they obviously just read that Boeing got those two huge multi-billion dollar orders from Emirates and QANTAS, so there obviously must be more to get than from Southwest.

Btw. I'm seriously considering sueing Coca-Cola for my stomach problems and overweight, as I have become addicted to Coke, and I suspect they still indeed use real coke in their Cola. Far out, I know, but I just know that there are lawyers out there waiting for such a lawsuit.

Comment

No luck in Germany with that. the man who started the Snikcers, Twix and Cola case and blamed the companies for his health problems (diabeties) lost.

Comment

Originally posted by seahawk
                    No luck in Germany with that. the man who started the Snikcers, Twix and Cola case and blamed the companies for his health problems (diabeties) lost.
                    I'm aware of that, but I'll be in the US over the holidays . Not much time, but it should be doable .

Comment

Originally posted by Crunk415balla
                      Peope here sue for everything. I wonder how much they'll get.
                      The minimum together with the promise to be jettissoned over the country's geographical central point should they dare travelling with WN again :twist:
                      Alain
                      Thanks for visiting
                      *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
                      *JetPhotos*
                      Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

I'm sure they'll settle out of court for an amount we'll never see published.
                        Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

What in the hell are they sueing boeing for?
                          Heck, Boeing was sued over Sept. 11th. I don't remember seeing how that case turned out.

Comment

Working...
                          X