17 Years Ago Today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17 Years Ago Today...

Today marks 17 years since Pan Am 103 was blown from the sky. On board were 259 people, including 35 Syracuse University students on their way home from a semester in England. In addition, 13 residents of the town of Lockerbie, Scotland, were killed. This thread goes out in memory of all of the victims and their families.

RIP

Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

I took Pan Am 103 on December 20, 1988 the night before it was bombed. At that time, I was stationed in London and was going home for Christmas. When I made the flight reservations, the 21st was given to me as an option but I took the 20th so I could get home and do my Christmas shopping.

The night of the bombing, I was at the mall and ran into a friend of mine. We decided to get a few drinks and while in the bar, I notice that the t.v. was showing a fire. I looked closer and saw that Pan Am 103 was down. Needless to say, I was in shock and it took me a while to put that behind me especially since the 21st was an option for me to fly home.

Comment

Pan Am 103 was one of the first major air disasters that I remember seeing on TV (I was 9 years old) and I just remember feeling so horrible and helpless... it was such an awful tragedy.
      My Jetphotos.net Images

Comment

Originally posted by timman19
        I took Pan Am 103 on December 20, 1988 the night before it was bombed. At that time, I was stationed in London and was going home for Christmas. When I made the flight reservations, the 21st was given to me as an option but I took the 20th so I could get home and do my Christmas shopping.

The night of the bombing, I was at the mall and ran into a friend of mine. We decided to get a few drinks and while in the bar, I notice that the t.v. was showing a fire. I looked closer and saw that Pan Am 103 was down. Needless to say, I was in shock and it took me a while to put that behind me especially since the 21st was an option for me to fly home.
        Wow...that is an incredible story! Thank God (or chance) that you took the earlier date. I can imagine the effect that an incident like that would have on someone, it must have been difficult.

Being part of a Syracuse family (my mother is an alum and my sister is a current student) living near Syracuse for the past few years this date has always had a special significance for me. I always try to visit the memorial at SU when I am there, and there was always a certain sadness in the air in the city on December 21st.
        Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

I was in England with my parents visiting my sister and family for Xmas. We had just return to Bedford after a day in Stoke on Trent and figure PA 103 had to have passed pretty close to us as we were returning. At least the US govet got to the bottom of this unlike the Canadian govt which has farted around for years with the Air India 747 bombing which killed 326 in 1985 off Ireland.

Comment

May the poor souls of that flight RIP

Comment

Was watching News Channel 9 (not sure if it is 9 anymore, the ABC one) herpa,

They showed the cerimony on TV. It truley is sad to see all those people there, all affected by the tragedy. RIP

Comment

But what happened to the aircraft (I wasn't born yet so I don't know)??? Was it bombed or what?

Comment

Originally posted by pkonowrocki
                  But what happened to the aircraft (I wasn't born yet so I don't know)??? Was it bombed or what?
                  See here.

May they Rest In Peace.

Comment

R.I.P to all those who were invloved in this tragic event

Dale
                    Last edited by G-DALE; 2005-12-22, 00:02. Reason: Shadower beat me to it...

Comment

Originally posted by herpa2003
                      Wow...that is an incredible story! Thank God (or chance) that you took the earlier date. I can imagine the effect that an incident like that would have on someone, it must have been difficult.

Being part of a Syracuse family (my mother is an alum and my sister is a current student) living near Syracuse for the past few years this date has always had a special significance for me. I always try to visit the memorial at SU when I am there, and there was always a certain sadness in the air in the city on December 21st.
                      It was difficult. Initially, I was like "phew, that was a close one" but after Christmas, it hit me harder. When I went back to London, I had to take Pan Am and had a morning flight out of JFK. When I got to the gate, there were maybe 30 people there. I thought that the flight had been delayed but was told it was on-time. About 30 people were on the 747 to Heathrow. It was deserted and the flight attendants didn't have too much to do.

Comment

RIP
                        I remember I wished leading a max of chirurgical bombings across Lybia when I heard it.
                        Alain
                        Thanks for visiting
                        *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
                        *JetPhotos*
                        Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Working...
                        X