Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Spirit of Delta farewell tour...

Transcript of JG's company update.....

Hello. This is Jerry Grinstein. Today is Monday, December 19.

On December 15, 1982, more than 6,500 Delta people gathered at the Tech Ops Center in Atlanta along with family, friends, and national and international media.

Almost 23 years ago to the day, they presented this company with a Boeing 767-200.

This state-of-the-art new ship 102, "The Spirit of Delta," was purchased with $30 million raised through an employee-led, grassroots effort known as Project 767.

It was spearheaded by three flight attendants and funded through voluntary payroll deductions plus support from retirees and friends.

Project 767 made history -- not just at our company but throughout the world and particularly throughout the corporate world.

Then as now, it illustrates the unique culture of ownership and shared vision that has long set this airline apart from all others.

All of the other 767-200's that Delta bought have been sold but not Ship 102.

Today, we are taking the first steps in a plan to preserve the Spirit of Delta by bringing it home to the Delta Heritage Museum in Atlanta.

Someday I'll explain to you why this was more complicated than you might at first think.

The aircraft will travel on a farewell flight barnstorming tour to 11 Delta stations, giving employees and customers one last chance to fly on a very special aircraft.

The Delta Museum at the general offices, a non-profit organization, is managing funding and costs through donations from company partners and friends as well as the volunteer efforts of Delta people.

If you'd like to participate as a volunteer -- from painting, refurbishing interiors, and preparing exhibits, and assisting with events on the Farewell Flights -- call the museum.

The Spirit of Delta aircraft belongs to the people of this airline; we will keep it that way. Ship 102 is going to be accessible to those who helped build this company's foundation as well everyone now working together to create a stronger, healthier Delta for the future.

If I lived in atlanta I would volenter to work on the plane for sure!
    Wu Tang Clan: best rap group of all time

Save hip-hop, bring talent and intelligence back into it

Comment

I'd work as a volunteer if I get a Green Card as my invitation wage . Seriously, good to see that there is finally confirmation that the "Spirit of Delta" will indeed go to the Museum, and won't be cut up or sold. The Spirit alongside Ship 41, that'll be sweet.

Comment

Any idea when that schedual will be published? I think ill go see if if it comes here to kbos.

Comment

Originally posted by seventwo
          Any idea when that schedual will be published? I think ill go see if if it comes here to kbos.
          no idea yet...as soon as i see the schedule i will let ya know...

Comment

Originally posted by KBOSv2
            If I lived in atlanta I would volenter to work on the plane for sure!
            Without a doubt, very rare you'd get an oppertunity like that.
            sigpic
            http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Well it's a good thing that I went out of my way at ATL earlier this year to catch her once.

Comment

Good news, excellent news. Would be great to preserve her in two colours
                - right side : the delivery wiglet c/s + the red script across the cheat-line !!!
                - left side : the retro c/s
                Here too no problem, a green-card will be all right as an invitation wage
                Alain
                Thanks for visiting
                *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
                *JetPhotos*
                Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Here is what is up for the next couple of days...

Dec 23
                  flt 973 ATL-JAX
                  flt 238 JAX-ATL
                  flt 859 ATL-ONT

dec24
                  flt 430 ONT-ATL
                  flt 672 ATL-PBI

dec 25
                  flt 200 PBI-ATL
                  flt 1719 ATL-MIA
                  flt 820 MIA-ATL

Comment

Just as an FYI, had the luck to finally see Ship 102 in its current scheme yesterday, operating a flight from ATL, Concourse A, Gate 22 (though I didn't get the destination, d'uh!). Was positively suprised to see it still flying for DL, though it won't be much longer.

Comment

Ship 102 is almost always sitting on the west side of concourse A. The problem though is that the thing never moves. I had heard that it is being used as a back up. This might very well be because of my last 5 trips out to the airport in the last 2 weeks it's been sitting there and hasn't moved. I was at least hoping for a taxi over to their north ramp to be parked for a few hours....but nothing.

-Rich

Comment

Originally posted by INTENSS
                        Ship 102 is almost always sitting on the west side of concourse A. The problem though is that the thing never moves. I had heard that it is being used as a back up. This might very well be because of my last 5 trips out to the airport in the last 2 weeks it's been sitting there and hasn't moved. I was at least hoping for a taxi over to their north ramp to be parked for a few hours....but nothing.

-Rich
                        Ship 102 moves quite a bit...today (02jan) it is running LGA-ATL-PHX-ATL-ONT- it is the only 767-200 still in operation on a regular schedule...

Comment

It is still flying? I would have thought DL was only keeping it active until December 31st to have a worthy year-end good-bye celebration, but I guess I was wrong. Any idea when it will be retired? (If ever )

Comment

Originally posted by DAL767-400ER
                            It is still flying? I would have thought DL was only keeping it active until December 31st to have a worthy year-end good-bye celebration, but I guess I was wrong. Any idea when it will be retired? (If ever )
                            No word yet on when the farewell tour will be starting or when it is going to be put in the museum...

All we know is that when it is retired the engines avionics and "equiptment" (whatever that is) will be removed and it will be handed over to the museum - once the museum has ownership it will be repainted to the original livery and will be configured with various displays for walk thru tours..

The museum will be paying for all reconfiguration once it is handed over to them thru fundraisers and monies they currently have...Delta is not paying for any of it...

Comment

Back to the original livery, now that sounds promising . Will be interesting to see it on display alongside Ship 41 sometime down the road.

Comment

Working...
                              X