Small Plane Lands on Florida Highway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Plane Lands on Florida Highway

NAVARRE, Fla. -- A single-engine plane made an emergency landing during the morning commute on a busy Florida highway, and the whole thing was caught on tape.

The incident happened Friday in Navarre, which is in Florida's panhandle.

Gas station security camera footage shows the plane just after it landed on Highway 98.

Upon landing, the plane bumped a sport utility vehicle with a family of five inside. However, no one was injured.

The pilot said his engine stopped and he tried to make it it to a nearby landing strip, but couldn't.
    Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

looks like there were no real injuries, but where did the gear go? wouldn't he have lowered the gear first?

Comment

My guess is that he didn't want the gear slowing him up and putting him into a position where he would stall and crash.

Comment

only thing I can think of with the gear, is that he wanted to stop in the absolute shortest distance possible. no gear will help out a lot with that.

Comment

Better gliding distance with no gear.
          Van Hoolio's JP.net Photos
          lp.org

Comment

With the engine not producing any power he would not have sufficient power to lower the gear.

Comment

Originally posted by ptbodale
              With the engine not producing any power he would not have suffucient power to lower the gear.
              Shouldn't need power to lower the gear, there would be an emergency gear release of some sort I'm sure, but I think that Van Hoolio is right, better glide with the gear retracted. Forget what I said about stopping in the shortest distance.

Comment

ah, yeah, now that I use my brain and think that makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodhound96
                  Shouldn't need power to lower the gear, there would be an emergency gear release of some sort I'm sure, but I think that Van Hoolio is right, better glide with the gear retracted. Forget what I said about stopping in the shortest distance.
                  Requiring a lot of energy, using the rescue muscle powered hand crank might have also been a deterant !!!
                  Alain
                  Thanks for visiting
                  *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
                  *JetPhotos*
                  Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Working...
                  X