45 dead in PIA F27 crash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 45 dead in PIA F27 crash

BBC reports: 'A Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) passenger plane has crashed in central Pakistan, killing all 45 people on board, officials say. The Fokker aircraft crashed soon after taking off from the city of Multan and burst into flames.

Rescue teams are still struggling to control the blaze. Eyewitnesses say that they have seen a number of bodies which have been badly burnt.

Police have cordoned off the area and are keeping people away from the scene.

The twin-engined aircraft was carrying 41 passengers and four crew members when it went down.

"All passengers and crew are dead in the air crash," district co-ordination officer Iftikhar Babar told Pakistan's private Geo TV channel.

"Fire erupted after the crash and all bodies were charred beyond recognition."

'Huge explosion'

Flight PK 688 was heading for Lahore and then Islamabad, reports say. It appeared to hit an electric power line while crashing in a field.

"The plane lost contact with the control tower about two minutes after take-off. We don't know what happened to it," PIA engineer Mansoor A Rahi told the Associated Press news agency.

Eyewitnesses said it burst into flames.

"There was a huge explosion after the plane hit the ground, one eyewitness, Mohammed Nadeem, told AP.

"The plane began to come down abruptly," another eyewitness, Arshad Gujjar, said.

"Then there were flames and dust."'

This week looks to be a bad one for the aviation world. First an A310 now a F27.

RIP to all.

Rich

Oh f*ck, not another one . RIP to the victims.

Comment

Latest from the BBC - With video report

AP-BAL

Rich

Comment

You gotta be kidding me !!!!!!!!!!!
        Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxPower
          You gotta be kidding me !!!!!!!!!!!
          Beleive me, I wish I was but I'm not.

Rich

Comment

RIP to victims and condolences to the families of both crashes. Does anyone else get the horrible feeling that the traditional three-in-a-row thing is going to apply?
            DTVAirport

Comment

wow, when I first read the news on my homepage I was like "I thought the crash was in Russia, not Pakastan."

Not another one Wonder if we are gona have the dreaded third one

Comment

Originally posted by rich7271
                Beleive me, I wish I was but I'm not.

Rich
                I wasnt doubting the credibility of your post. I was just speechless thats all.

Rest in peace .
                Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

RIP
                  Alain
                  Thanks for visiting
                  *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
                  *JetPhotos*
                  Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Latest pictures from the crash here.

Rich

Comment

Terrible, RIP...

Comment

Sad. I read elsewhere that this particular aircraft was built in 1964....someone out there is actually flying aircraft as old as the Canadian Forces' Sea Kings and E model Hercules. With all the people milling about the wreck in those pictures I can not imagine any evidence as to the crash's cause will be found. Some 42 old part finally wore out probably.

Comment

Really a horrible crash...said to say but almost everytime it was a series of a three aircraft crashes I just hope it's gonna break that tragic rule...

Comment

Rip
                            You've got to try to find what's right before your eyes-Finger Eleven

Comment

wow, i just heard about this, really really sad news, and i've actually flown on one of PIA's Fokker, and you pretty much say your prayers before you get on that thing...really really uncomfortable to fly on.

RIP those who died
                              ***My Blog***

Comment

Working...
                              X