AC319s to fly over the pond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC319s to fly over the pond

Air Canada to offer non-stop seasonal service between St. John's, NL and London, U. K., with daily flights during summer peak travel

MONTREAL, July 20 /CNW Telbec/ - Air Canada announced today seasonal non-stop service between St. John's, NL and London, U.K. beginning April 6, 2007. Air Canada's service to London will operate three times weekly onWednesday, Friday and Sunday in April 2007, increasing to five times a week inMay 2007, and to daily service from mid-June to September 2007. Air Canadaflight AC830 will leave St. John's at 12:55, arriving in London at 21:25, andflight AC831 will leave London at 22:40 arriving in St. John's at 00:40. "The people of Newfoundland and Labrador have told us loudly and clearlythat they value a non-stop link to the U.K. and we believe we have found acreative solution that meets demand," said Ben Smith, Vice President, NetworkPlanning, Air Canada. "With this service we will be able to offer theconvenience of daily non-stop service to London for summer peak travel." The carrier will operate the route using newly refurbished 120-seatAirbus A319 aircraft in a two-cabin configuration offering a choice ofExecutive Class and Economy service. The A319 jets to be deployed on thisroute feature Air Canada's new personal entertainment system currently beingintroduced fleet-wide with 8.9-inch wide digital in-seat monitors and touch-screen controls offering audio and video on demand programming at every seat.Other features include Air Canada's new seating and cabin design with in-seatpower within reach of every customer. From Newfoundland and Labrador, Air Canada and Air Canada Jazz offer morethan 159 scheduled flights each week to 9 destinations across Canada, morethan any other carrier. Air Canada provides scheduled and charter air transportation forpassengers and cargo to more than 150 destinations on five continents.Canada's flag carrier is the 14th largest commercial airline in the world andserves more than 30 million customers annually. Air Canada is a foundingmember of Star Alliance providing the world's most comprehensive airtransportation network.
    As rumoured a few months back, Air Canada is offering seasonal service to LHR from YYT using an A319. This is very disappointing given the fact that YYT has a prime LHR slot that will be given up to YHZ starting this fall. AC might find this route will appeal to a lot of Canadians who do not like to fly red-eyes and it could be more popular than they think.

________
    Chrysler sebring (sedan) history
    Aeroplan Elite / *A Gold

Next Flights:

Jan 6th YZF-YEG-YYC-YYZ
    Jan 7th YYZ-YEG-YZF

TBC Jan 14th YZF-YEG-YOW
    TBC Jan 17th YOW-YEG-YZF

Jan 23rd YZF-YEG-YOW-YHZ-YQX
    Jan 27th YQX-YYT-YYZ-FRA-BUD
    Feb 13th LBJ-FRA-YYZ-YOW
    Feb 17th YOW-YEG
    Feb 18th YEG-YZF

Definately doable with an A319 at 2316 miles. When it comes down to it, there just is not the market to justify a 767 landing in YYT to pick up a few pax year round. On the other hand there are a number of existing flights between YHZ and YYT. YEG lost its non stops to LHR some years ago for the same reason (use it or lose it) AC is in business to make money for its shareholders which was not always the case when this route was likely established during its Crown Corp days. As for the slot it always was shared between YHZ and YYT as the flight orginated there did it not?

Comment

OK, where is Da-Bob to start dissing AC?
      You've got to try to find what's right before your eyes-Finger Eleven

Comment

Thats kinda neat if you ask me, a trans-Atlantic A319!

More than likely its a A319M.
        -Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by ACman
          Thats kinda neet if you ask me, a trans-Atlantic A319!
          Some may think it's neat... that isn't my opinion of it at all.
          Trump is an idiot!
          Vote Democrats!!

Comment

Why not? Its just like those charters flying the 737NG's over the pond. We get Excel in YHZ, 737-800's to LHR.
            -Kevin

Comment

It will be neat to have 319's going across the pond, but now the largest daily visitor to YYT will be the Kelowna Flightcraft 727s...AC 320s and WS737s just don't bring excitement.

The stats have shown that YYT is as logical as YHZ for the 763 daily flight, just that the complainers in YHZ have finally won out. AC860/861 has flown from YYT since I was a kid, as long as I can remember. Some of the blame for this must be shouldered on Canada Customs who were running a very inefficient operation at the airport. The small continental flights will continue to/from EWR, but likely staffing cuts for customs given that they will no longer need to process the 763, but instead the little ERJ's yearround and the 319 seasonally.

There's no doubt about the ability of the aircraft to make the distance, we also have a 737 that does regular charters from YDF to I believe it's LGW.
              ________
              Dc Medical Marijuana
              Aeroplan Elite / *A Gold

Next Flights:

Jan 6th YZF-YEG-YYC-YYZ
              Jan 7th YYZ-YEG-YZF

TBC Jan 14th YZF-YEG-YOW
              TBC Jan 17th YOW-YEG-YZF

Feb 13th LBJ-FRA-YYZ-YOW
              Feb 17th YOW-YEG
              Feb 18th YEG-YZF

Comment

Originally posted by jmackey_YYT
                The stats have shown that YYT is as logical as YHZ for the 763 daily flight, just that the complainers in YHZ have finally won out.
                Service up in the air
                Newfoundlanders travelling to London will have to fly two hours west to Nova Scotia, switch planes, then fly seven hours east to London
                By CAROL MOREIRA

-snip- Ray Dillon, president of St. John’s Board of Trade, describes Air Canada’s decision as extremely short-sighted and a public relations disaster that ignores the fact that St. John’s economy is growing strongly due to recent oil production. St. John’s unemployment rate has fallen by half from 15.5 per cent in 1990.

Of the total 50,000 passengers that fly the route, between one-third and one-quarter originate or terminate in St. John’s. Dillon has advised his 800 members to travel on other airlines whenever possible and to let Air Canada know it is losing business. (WestJet and CanJet also fly out of St. John’s.) -snip-
                So, if we give St. Johns the whole 1/3 of the 50,000 pax who travel the route each year and divide it by 365 you get 45 pax a day...hardly enough to justify a 767.

Never mind that Edmonton has more people living in it than the entire province of Nefoundland and they lost their direct flight years ago...

Comment

The Edmonton situation is somewhat different since passengers are not required to fly backwards to Vancouver in order to catch a flight. Basically, someone will now have to leave St. John's and fly backwards to Halifax / Montreal, then on to London and the same coming back.

Air Canada and the airport are both admitting that there are about 50-100 passengers per day on the route originating in St. John's. Basically AC has to tie up an A319 to fly them back and forth since there's no way to accommodate them on existing routes. You'll find that the passenger load factor on YYT - YHZ/YYZ/YUL flights is as tight as any route in the entire network despite horrible flight times.

This is and always has been about YHZ passengers whining about having to stop in YYT. The changeover to a domestic flight in YYT was what really caused this cancellation due to YHZ passengers being inconvenienced for 2 hours in YYT each day.

I think you will find that cargo out of YYT is equal to or greater than the cargo yields out of YHZ.

I give credit when it is due, but I also will point out what I see as bonehead moves. I hope someone else is able to compete on the route. I know the lack of a viable Houston connection has resulted in Continental offering very successful flights YYT - EWR - IAH.
                  ________
                  DC MEDICAL MARIJUANA
                  Aeroplan Elite / *A Gold

Next Flights:

Jan 6th YZF-YEG-YYC-YYZ
                  Jan 7th YYZ-YEG-YZF

TBC Jan 14th YZF-YEG-YOW
                  TBC Jan 17th YOW-YEG-YZF

Feb 13th LBJ-FRA-YYZ-YOW
                  Feb 17th YOW-YEG
                  Feb 18th YEG-YZF

Comment

Originally posted by ACman
                    Why not? Its just like those charters flying the 737NG's over the pond. We get Excel in YHZ, 737-800's to LHR.
                    Why not? - Because it sucks ass to fly in anything thats smaller than a 777/744 accross the pond. I would pay the extra $ not to fly those A319's, to be honest id pay the extra not to fly AC but thats another story. Oh and I think you'll find Excel dont fly in/out of LHR.

Comment

Originally posted by BA747-436
                      Why not? - Because it sucks ass to fly in anything thats smaller than a 777/744 accross the pond. I would pay the extra $ not to fly those A319's, to be honest id pay the extra not to fly AC but thats another story. Oh and I think you'll find Excel dont fly in/out of LHR.
                      Ok Mr Bigmoney, that's your decision, but not everybody has the money to do that .

Comment

Get a decent job then

Comment

What about if we do have a decent job but the salary svcks...

Or maybe you can define "decent" a little bit more.
                          Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by BA747-436
                            Get a decent job then
                            I would, but due to the lovely regulations in the EU, most jobs that are of interest to me can't be done because I haven't got the right drivers license . Damn EU, what used to be one class in Germany decades ago now are 3 seperate classes with seperate additional costs...

Comment

This is possibly the first time a A319 have been used on a transatlantic flight in a traditional way. I wish AC good luck with this one.
                              Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Working...
                              X