25 More ERJ-190s for US Airways!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25 More ERJ-190s for US Airways!

A Brazilian plane manufacturer, Embraer, has a new plane on the market, and Tempe-based US Airways is a fan.

The carrier has ordered 25 of the planes, the first of which will go into service at its Philadelphia hub in December.

"This is filling a hole in the lineup that's existed for some time," said Andrew Nocella, senior vice president of planning.

The Embraer 190 jet, which looks like a Boeing 737 on a diet, was designed to appeal to airlines looking for something bigger than traditional regional jets and smaller than a Boeing or Airbus narrow-body jet.

Embraer officials took US Airways executives on a demonstration flight to Tucson.

The plan debuted at JetBlue Airways in November. The $32 million plane can accommodate up to 106 passengers without first class and about 100 with first class. Many regional jets have 50 seats.

The Embraer 190 has range. Air Canada flies it between Phoenix and Toronto.

Embraer's main sales pitch, though, is passenger comfort. It touts wider seats, wider aisles, no middle seat and larger overhead bins. Mark Hale, vice president of airline marketing and sales, even shows off the restroom, noting that it's "bigger than Airbus."

US Airways' Embraer 190s also will have first-class seats.

"You still feel like you're on a large airplane," said Gary Blohm, chief pilot of contract training for US Airways and the initial trainer of US Airways pilots on the Embraer 190. He will pick up US Airways' first plane in Brazil this fall.

From Phoenix, the new planes could be used to add an early-morning flight from, say, Atlanta to Phoenix, Nocella said. There is not enough demand to justify an Airbus plane at that hour, he said.

"This would be a great opportunity to fill a hole in the schedule," he said.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/t...et0805Z10.html
    GREAT NEWS!!! I wonder who will be the next to order ERJ's?
    Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Old news -- this was booked a few months ago. Note also that are mainline aircraft but not counted against the minimum number of aircraft required under the pailot's contract.

Comment

Should make up for a solution to resolve problems in fleet flexibility.
      Alain
      Thanks for visiting
      *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
      *JetPhotos*
      Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Originally posted by AA 1818
        GREAT NEWS!!! I wonder who will be the next to order ERJ's?
        Noone, considering the market for RJs is dead . Whereas the market for small mainline planes like the E170-195 is booming .

Comment

Embraer took NW people for a ride last month, I would expect them to order the 170/190/195 series. Of which the 190/195's would be used for mainline operations.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisburns
            Embraer took NW people for a ride last month, I would expect them to order the 170/190/195 series. Of which the 190/195's would be used for mainline operations.

Everytime that I read about a possible order for NW, I think of a DC-9 replacement. And with all of the rumors - from a possible CRJ order, to a possible order for an Airbus product (for A320s to A319s and I have even heard of A318s turned into the mix), to even the wild rumor of 737s, but I have to wonder, will NW be willing to give up those DC-9s soon. Also, I know that NW likes the fact that the DC-9s have been tried and true and that they have survived for years. I wonder if the possible batch of ERJs will be there for decades to come, as the DC-9s have been?
            Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Working...
            X