X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P&W for 737 Replacement?

By Dominic Gates

Seattle Times aerospace reporter

Before Boeing commits to developing a replacement for its best-selling narrow-body jet, the 737, commercial airplanes chief Alan Mulally wants a breakthrough in engine efficiency.

He may have it sooner than expected.

Pratt & Whitney, hungry to reclaim its lost share of the huge market for narrow-body jet engines, is moving aggressively to ready "a game changer that takes us to the next level of propulsive efficiency," said Steve Heath, president of its commercial-airplane engine division.

Heath met with Boeing officials in Seattle last Friday to discuss progress on his company's so-called "geared turbofan" — an engine it claims will burn 12 percent less fuel than today's engines, cost up to 15 percent less to operate, and reduce noise and emissions as well.

Pratt has put development work on a fast track, with a ground test planned next fall and flight test in 2008. If the tests go well, Heath said Pratt could formally launch an engine for the narrow-body market by the end of that year. With a typical four-year engine-development program, that could allow Boeing to deliver a 737 replacement jet as early as 2012.

Mulally has said Boeing will have a new narrow-body ready to enter service sometime between 2012 and 2015, and Airbus insists it will be ready to respond. But both plane makers routinely downplay talk of an early launch, reluctant to curtail sales of recently updated existing models. The current Boeing 737s and Airbus A320s are selling well and have huge order backlogs.

The launch of the 787 depended crucially on next-generation engine technology to significantly reduce fuel burn. So it will be with the 737 replacement.

Pratt's geared turbofan, if it lives up to the promises, could let Boeing make an aggressive move early in Mulally's time frame, launching soon after the wide-body 787 enters service in 2008, while Airbus is still shouldering major development work on its wide-body alternative, the A350.

"We're not waiting," Heath said in a recent interview in London. "We're developing the technology. ... We'll be ready for it in 2008."

Boeing remains tight-lipped about its study of a 737 replacement. At the rollout this week of the latest and biggest 737 derivative, the 737-900ER, Carolyn Corvi, Boeing's vice president of airplane production, said it's hard to beat the current plane's efficiency, and she repeated the need for a new engine.

Could that be Pratt's geared turbofan? "We keep talking to them about it," Corvi said.
    Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Well, P&W better do something, because RR and especially GE have been kicking their a$$ in recent years.

Comment

Re:

Geared turbofan:

Source: http://www.flightglobal.com/Articles...+turbofan.html

This is an old link (PW 8000 is probably not the designation any more, but it provides a good insight into the engine):

Should be interesting to see how this develops.

Foxtrot

Comment

Well considering PW has like 8% of the market share in engines.
        -Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by ACman
          Well considering PW has like 8% of the market share in engines.
          looks they are out in the cold. In addition to AF, there are battalions of airlines fleetmembers of which are not anymore powered by P&W....

Alain
          Thanks for visiting
          *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
          *JetPhotos*
          Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Interestingly explicit and crystal clear
              Alain
              Thanks for visiting
              *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
              *JetPhotos*
              Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Sorta funny...I've always been wondering why Boeing hasn't ever offered the IAE V2500's as a option on the 737 series. If Boeing does offer something other than just one engine type on the 737 replacement, I think they could potentially attract more customers.

Comment

Originally posted by NWA 757 351
                  Sorta funny...I've always been wondering why Boeing hasn't ever offered the IAE V2500's as a option on the 737 series. If Boeing does offer something other than just one engine type on the 737 replacement, I think they could potentially attract more customers.
                  Thats where Airbus have the "advantages" by providing the A320 family with more than just one type of engine.

^^If we ever saw an IAEv 2500 equipped-737 one day, man It would make my day !
                  Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Sound great but im a bit scared that others like GE will make a better offer since they have far more credits in aviation than PW and they have way more money for tests....
                    My New Photo Name on JP.net is DutchAviation!!!!

why should we fight about wich aircraft manufactor is better..............

thats so childish....

because hey we all know boeing is better

Comment

Well, with GE owning over 50% of the jet engine market these days, you definitely got a point there.

Comment

Originally posted by DAL767-400ER
                        Well, with GE owning over 50% of the jet engine market these days, you definitely got a point there.
                        More than 50%, remember, they also own CFM Engines.
                        -Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by MaxPower
                          Thats where Airbus have the "advantages" by providing the A320 family with more than just one type of engine.

^^If we ever saw an IAEv 2500 equipped-737 one day, man It would make my day !

Definitely, it would make my day as well since I like the V2500 turbines better than the CFM56's, the IAE's have more of a "kick" to them in my opinion

Comment

Working...
                          X