A380 at FAJS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A380 at FAJS

Sunday 26 November. Dawn 04:45 drag myself outta bed, wife mutters "Wharra you doing?" "Going to shoot the A380 at 03R threshold" says I. "Coffee and then get outta here, why did you wake me up?" "Yes dear, right away dear".

Then the 4 mandatory "Sh's" (Sh!t, Shower, Shampoo and Shave) and I'm ready for ACTION. Made coffee for the missus - left it next to her (beautiful) unconsoious frame and grabbed camera bag and hit the highway. It was a BEAUT of a morning - sun was rising, not a breath of wind, not a cloud in the sky (that I could see), warm as well - me, shorts, T-shirt, and RAF peak cap.

First stop local petrol station to get a cuppa coffee and some snacks to munch on - ETA at 03R 05:50. ETA of A380 08:00. Shooting location - public park next to 03R with "THE SLIDE" - very limited space going up the stairs of "THE SLIDE" and strict pecking order prevails - me, I'm new on the block so the likes of StephanR and his mates take first option for the top steps.

I'm driving (350d all ready to go - locked and loaded - Sigma 70-300 attached). Hey, where did those darn clouds appear from. It's not looking good. Anyway, arrived at "The Slide" and Stephan and his mates already set up with coffee, eggs, bacon and bread rolls on the "skottle" (you have to be SAfrican to know what a "skottle" is. Talk about organised. BUT, the wind is blowing at +- 13 knotts and it's now totally overcast and it's F^#$%#ng CHILLY and me with sodding T-Shirt and shorts. But it's for the A380 and all SPOTTERS are TOUGH. Two hour wait ahead of us and the park starts to fill up. Stephan (who is "off sick" from work, ja boet - jou baas gaan jou opdonder) calls the tower to check if 03R is still going to be used - Yep and runway will be opened at 07:30.

ANYWAY, it came, we saw, we shot madly, we were astounded by this beautiful (debateable) LARGE mother of an airplane. Post landing discussion and showing off our pics on our camera's LCD screens and much sattisfaction all round. After we said our respective good byes, i was able to thaw out on the way home. NOW TO LOAD MY SHOTS TO (s)laptop.

BUGGER - my shots were "not good" content and composure were super - quality was UUUUURg. I gotta learn that mother 350d some more and without an IS lens - blurry - BUT, it was still very ENJOYABLE to witness this large lady from France in all her glory for the first time at FAJS, Viva le France
    RobB

I would have written Europe instead of France, otherwise, that was a nice and entertaining report to read.

Alain
    Thanks for visiting
    *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
    *JetPhotos*
    Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Originally posted by uy707
      Europe instead of France
      Alain !!!!! Oui, ANY self respecting Frenchman KNOWS that France is Europe and Europe is France - Ze Frenchmen thum their noses at those Eenglish peegs from across ze channel, no ? And zose German, Spanish, Italian and anyone who is part of Airbus can theenk zey are as good as us French, merde !! Have fun.......
      RobB

Comment

don't include me in the napoleonic thinking ones, I am not the kind of ones portrayed, furthermore I also take into account
        - Airbus is now wholly controlled by EADS the french combined holdings of which stand below the 50 % line.
        -the 320 line could have been relocated to Germany so that the whole product range would have been manufactured in on location.
        list goes on

Alain
        Thanks for visiting
        *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
        *JetPhotos*
        Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Hey Alain - it's what English speakers call "sattire" - not meant to be taken seriously. Now if only the French could take care of the All Blacks !!!!!!
          RobB

Comment

Originally posted by RobinB
            Now if only the French could take care of the All Blacks !!!!!!
            Never gonna happen.
            Sam Rudge
            A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

Originally posted by RobinB
              Now if only the French could take care of the All Blacks !!!!!!
              Keep dreaming

Comment

Oh well, my brother-in-law is a Kiwi, so you can imagine the e-mails I get after the AB's win - especially wins against the 'Boks. But of course, as history show, the AB's always peak to soon for World Cup - I just know I'm gonna cop flack on this. Anyway, back to the A380.........
                RobB

Comment

Working...
                X