*Delta Air Lines Secures $2.5 Billion Exit Financing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *Delta Air Lines Secures $2.5 Billion Exit Financing

At Yahoo Finance, you get free stock quotes, up-to-date news, portfolio management resources, international market data, social interaction and mortgage rates that help you manage your financial life.

ATLANTA, Jan. 30, 2007 (PRIME NEWSWIRE) -- Delta Air Lines (Other OTCALRQ.PK - News) announced today that it has obtained commitments for a $2.5 billion exit financing facility, marking a significant step forward for the company's plan to exit bankruptcy in Spring 2007 as a strong, well-capitalized standalone carrier.

The exit facility will be co-led by six financial institutions -- JPMorgan, Goldman Sachs & Co., Merrill Lynch, Lehman Brothers, UBS, and Barclays Capital -- and will consist of a $1 billion first-lien revolving credit facility, a $500 million first-lien Term Loan A, and a $1 billion second-lien Term Loan B. The facility will be secured by substantially all of the first-priority collateral in the existing debtor-in-possession facilities.

Edward H. Bastian, Delta's executive vice president and chief financial officer, said: ``This is an important milestone in the successful implementation of our restructuring plan. The competitive terms and unique structure of this financing package reflect our considerable progress and the soundness of Delta's standalone plan of reorganization. We appreciate the confidence the financial markets are showing by making this commitment in support of Delta's standalone plan. We look forward to partnering with our lenders through the exit process and into the future.''

As co-lead arrangers of the exit facility, the financial institutions made the following statements in support of the proposed transaction:

-- "JPMorgan is pleased to partner with our long-time client Delta
    in leading their benchmark financing. We are looking forward to
    aiding Delta in their successful reorganization and standalone
    exit from bankruptcy."
    -- "Goldman Sachs appreciates the opportunity to take a leadership
    role in Delta's landmark exit financing and believes Delta is well
    positioned to emerge from bankruptcy. Goldman Sachs has had a
    long-standing relationship with Delta and looks forward to helping
    Delta pursue its strategic plan."
    -- "We are pleased to help lead Delta's exit financing. Merrill Lynch
    looks forward to continuing to work with Delta Air Lines as the
    company executes its standalone strategic plan."
    -- "Lehman Brothers is delighted to play a leading role in this
    important financing for Delta, and to support the company as it
    emerges from bankruptcy as a strong global carrier."
    -- "UBS is excited to be involved in Delta's exit financing and
    helping Delta emerge on a standalone basis."
    -- "Delta Air Lines is an icon in the airline industry and Barclays
    Capital is honored to play a key role in the remarkable turnaround
    of the last 16 months. We look forward to contributing to the next
    chapters of this impressive story."

Proceeds from the facility will be used by Delta to repay its $2.1 billion debtor-in-possession credit facilities led by GE Capital and American Express, to make other payments required upon exit from bankruptcy, and to increase its already strong cash balance.
    Things are pressing ahead .

I did see a group of Delta creditors would like the February date extended so they could look at the US proposal some more. The group was quoted as considering the US offer better than what they would recieve under the exit plan...

Interesting to see how this plays out, I'm still unsure which to support BUT free enterpise is free enterprise, whatever works for the market will work for the companies.

Comment

It's still additional debt, right?
      Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingPhotog
        It's still additional debt, right?
        yes and no...

The first round of exit financing is secured to pay off Debtor in Possession loans that allow us to operate in bankruptcy...The exit financing is normally at a lower interest rate then DIP financing...so we are getting loans to pay off current loans...
        For those of you that have been involved in building a new house it is a similar process...you get a construction loan to pay for the construction and then when the house is completed you get your mortgage which pays off the construction loan and completes payment on the house...

Comment

people who give airlines (especially ones already in bankruptcy) huge sums of money are freaking stupid

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
            people who give airlines (especially ones already in bankruptcy) huge sums of money are freaking stupid
            Joe, I always thought you were against industry consolidation because people tend to lose their jobs. I know you've been very outspoken about job loss in the past, right? If DL doesn't get this money, they're more likely to be bought by US, leading to job losses.

But I do agree - that giving airlines large sums of moola is teh stoopid.
            Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingPhotog
              Joe, I always thought you were against industry consolidation because people tend to lose their jobs. I know you've been very outspoken about job loss in the past, right? If DL doesn't get this money, they're more likely to be bought by US, leading to job losses.

But I do agree - that giving airlines large sums of moola is teh stoopid.
              actually, while I dont like that people will be losing jobs, there is too much competition in the industry right now. The industry will suck until there is some consolidation. The invention of regionals at first was to fly into smaller airports that didn't need a mainline jet. Now it has developed into a way to fly into the other airlines' "turf" to steal customers. A little competition is good, but when you can't charge a price that allows you to break even anymore, something is seriously wrong. Some of the competition needs to go down one way or another before we have a healthy system of airlines in this country.

Airlines like Southwest can't give us the transportation system we need, and without some major rethinking of things (not just screwing employees out of their hard earned money) some of these airlines are going to disappear on their own. For this reason I'd rather see some more consolidation than entire companies going away.

Either one will make it more difficult for me to move on in my career, but I'd rather spend a little bit more time at a regional if it means that I will move on to a healthy industry where I don't need to worry about what job I should find after I retire from the airlines.

Comment

Working...
              X