A glorious day for Delta...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A glorious day for Delta...

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Delta Air Lines Inc. (NYSEAL_W - news) emerged from bankruptcy on Monday, after completing a $3 billion restructuring over the past 19 months.

"This is a great day in Delta's history," Chief Executive Gerald Grinstein said in a statement. "Delta is now a fierce competitor in a tough industry."

Delta, the third largest U.S. airline, emerges as a leaner carrier after cutting capacity and about $1 billion in labor costs. It also added more than 60 international routes to escape brutal low-fare competition in the U.S.

While the U.S. airline industry turned a profit last year for the first time since before the September 11, 2001 attacks, Delta emerges from reorganization amid signs that travel demand, which fueled the industry's recover, is softening.

A number of U.S. airlines, including Southwest Airlines Co. (NYSE:LUV - news) and JetBlue Airways Corp. (Nasdaq:JBLU - news), have recently complained of sluggish bookings ahead of the busy summer travel season.

But Delta believes its expansion into lucrative international markets and its lower costs will help it overcome a downturn.

"Delta used the Chapter 11 process to completely transform every aspect of our business ... That will enable us to weather future volatility in the airline industry," said Chief Financial Officer Edward Bastian in a statement.

Delta has forecast a pretax profit, before special items, of $816 million this year, after a loss of $452 million in 2006.

To finalize its exit from Chapter 11, Delta said it will close on a $2.5 billion exit-financing facility led by banks including JPMorgan, Goldman Sachs, and Merrill Lynch.

The financing package will be used to repay the company's $2.1 billion debtor-in-possession loan, make payments associated with exiting bankruptcy and increase liquidity, Delta said.

A U.S. bankruptcy court had on April 25 given the airline the go-ahead to exit bankruptcy at the end of this month.

Delta's restructuring is projected to cut its net debt by more than half to $7.6 billion at the end of 2007 from $16.9 billion at June 30, 2005, it said.

The company will issue new common shares in payment of bankruptcy claims and as part of a post-emergence compensation program for Delta employees, the airline said.

Regular trading in the new stock is expected to begin on the New York Stock Exchange on May 3 under the symbol "DAL". Until then, they will trade on a when-issued basis.

Delta's old shares, which had been trading over-the-counter, are being canceled. Holders of these shares will receive nothing under the reorganization plan, the company said.

This has been something that they have worked soo very hard for. It is truly inspiring to see DL emerge from bankruptcy, and furthermore that it is such a strong carrier - that took the oppurtunites of Chpt. 11 to do cut back on expenses, to build itself as a dominant International carrier and to stremline a fleet, all to become a much stronger, leaner carrier. Well done DL! Well done to the great employees of that airline that saw the airline at it's worst and still stuck with it. Great Job.
    Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

And they deface the widget on the planes...ugh...I like the bold colors, red and blue..but not the tilted widget...

Comment

Congrats to Delta, on making it through.
      Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

The big day is finally here . Just too bad that the live feed of the new livery unveiling isn't exactly running smooth.

Comment

I wonder if Jim, Ed and Jerry were disappointed by the "stunned silence" that happened when the curtain dropped....loud cheers through all the speeches and almost nothing when the curtain dropped...
          We emerged BK reorg officially at 1020am eastern time...onward and upward...

the first flight of the new livery will be flt 9998/30april for the flyby of ATL and the general offices...It is ship 638 and they have not posted revenue flights for that aircraft yet...

Comment

I'm surprised there's no pics yet?
            Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

As I am watching the feed from ATL I can not say anything else but congradulations! It is nice to see Delta begin the trip back to what it was!
              O'Hare - The Aviation God's greatest creation, or their greatest mistake? you be the judge!

Comment

Don't like the livery so much for now, but hey, according to DL's fact sheet on the new brand, it has its advantages:
                -Less layers, which means less weight
                -Reduces the time and man-hours needed to repaint the plane by 20% and requires one day less
                -Mentions that DL needed a livery solution for "the advent of next-generation non-metal composite aircraft (if that doesn't say 787 order, I don't know what does)

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingPhotog
                  I'm surprised there's no pics yet?

The first real aircraft is being rolled out of the hanger right now for the first time...Pics will start appearing later today on the websites...there were guards posted at the entrance to the paint hanger for the last couple of days searching everyone going in and out - and just to be safe no cell phones were allowed inside...The 757 took 2days to paint and used 54 gallons of paint..
                  The entire fleet should be repainted with the f#cked up widget within four years and all airport signage will be replaced by the end of this year...

Comment

The latest Delta Air Lines news covering business, health and safety, leadership, routes and waivers, Delta people, our values and more.

Official illustration on Delta's website in the press area. Nothing new though.
                    Tanner Johnson - Owner
                    twenty53 Photography

Comment

Maybe one of these days they will actually manage to get the whole fleet into one livery before deciding to change again Personally, I think it would look much better if the tail widget was straight like in the old style.

Either way, good news for Delta. Hopefully they well be able to stay out of BK now

Comment

it looks like the widget is drunk and falling over...probably more appropriate for the time they spent IN bankruptcy, not when they're coming out of it.l

Comment

BTW, maybe I am just weird, but doesn't the red widget (the one displayed on the fuselage) look alot like the citgo symbol?
                          Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Well, as one of my favourite airlines, I'm very happy to see them on their feet once more. I am not, however, happy to see this...swastika, if you will, on their aircraft. I think they should go back to their classic 90's schemes.
                            Well, congrats anyhow, Delta!
                            Mitch

Comment

Pictures coming online now ....
                              [photoid=5967081]
                              [photoid=5967082]
                              [photoid=5967104]
                              [photoid=5967105]
                              [photoid=5967106]
                              [photoid=5967107]

Comment

Working...