A380 gets 4 more Orders from EK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A380 gets 4 more Orders from EK

Dubai based Emirates Airlines has reaffirmed its order for 43 Airbus A380 aircraft and additionally signed a contract for a further four. Emirates will begin receiving its first A380 aircraft in the third quarter of 2008.

Emirates was a launch customers for the A380 and already had the largest number of aircraft on order which has now been increased to 47.

“We have repeatedly said we are committed to the A380 and, having now fully settled all past issues, this latest agreement should leave no one in any doubt about our faith in Airbus, the company and the quality of the aircraft we are committing to,” said Sheikh Ahmed Bin Saeed Al Maktoum, chairman, Emirates Group. “The Airbus A380 will be instrumental in helping Emirates meet its growing passenger demand and will do it using one of the most efficient and greenest aircraft ever produced”.
    Sam Rudge
    A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Whoopee, 4 more planes they will have trouble filling :rolleyes: .

Comment

Whoopee another wonderfully happy post from our resident emo Colin.
      Sam Rudge
      A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

I don't know what my attitude has to do with my opinion on this order but anyway, if need be, let me elaborate what I base my "emo" opinion on:
        -When EK originally ordered their A380s, they were pretty much the only large player in the ME and the Indian-Europe low-price market.
        -Nowadays, you have QR with 20+ 777s, and 60+ A350s, and at least 4 A380s, plus EY with equally ambitious plans, all competing with EK for the Uber-hub market in the Middle East
        -And you have more and more Indian carriers with more and more planes that allow Indians to go to Europe or the US without the stopover in DXB
        The Middle East growth is a bubble that is bound to burst sometime in the foreseeable future.

Comment

Lets not forget that EK can't even fill the planes that they have now.

Comment

Maybe some of these A380s will be sold or converted to A380Fs as soon as delivery. It doesn't really make sense, but I too find it difficult to believe they can fill up all those planes.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisburns
              Lets not forget that EK can't even fill the planes that they have now.
              Though for now they at least have a somewhat stable LF at around 75%. Of course, with all the A330s, A340s (if they ever take those), 777s, A380s and soon A350s (787 appears doubtful with this new A380 deal) and likely 748Is, loads are bound to slip.

Comment

And let's not forget the other 2 A380s that EK will lease from ILFC making the total order a whooping 49 A380s.

Regards.
                TAP - Transportes Aéreos Portugueses

Voe mais alto. Fly higher.

www.flytap.com

Comment

Originally posted by TAP-A343
                  And let's not forget the other 2 A380s that EK will lease from ILFC making the total order a whooping 49 A380s.

Regards.
                  Of course that leads to the question as to why bother leasing 2 planes of a plane type you are buying 47 of. Somehow those numbers don't really relate.

Comment

Originally posted by DAL767-400ER
                    Of course that leads to the question as to why bother leasing 2 planes of a plane type you are buying 47 of. Somehow those numbers don't really relate.
                    Isnt it an issue of getting earlier slots? I know Air Canada is leasing a 777 (from ILFC I believe) simply because they wanted an additional plane earlier.

As for the A380, is this pretty much a guarantee that they will be starting a high-density LCC? there just doesnt seem to be the capacity.

Comment

Not if they delayed the delivery slots for their two ILFC slots to 2013 .

Comment

Not if they delayed the delivery slots for their two ILFC slots to 2013 .
                        True, but consider when EK's 47 purchased A380s will be delivered. I dont know what the production rate is going to be, but surely you cant do that many in 47 months. IN additon, if the rate is slow enough Airbus may be backlogged passed 2013. So, this could have been the quickest way to get two additional EK A380s in the air.

Comment

Don't forget that those 2 A380s were initially A380Fs whose order was later converted to the pax version.

Regards.
                          TAP - Transportes Aéreos Portugueses

Voe mais alto. Fly higher.

www.flytap.com

Comment

There is also one other possibility - when EK placed the "blitz" order for the A380s it made me think that maybe, they might lease aircraft out to other airlines. I mean, some Indian airlines (when they survive the initial shakeout) may want to operate the A380 and not be able to get them in time. To do so, many airlines can look towards EK to get A380s leased and quickly.

Anyway - at least a pair of A380s will be converted to VVIP transports for the the elite travellers in Dubai (mostly governmental use IIRC) and I am sure that we will see some converted to freighters.

BTW, I wonder how much EK will actually pay for their A380s. They have been delayed for sooooooooooooooooooooooo long, I mean - Airbus must have given them a deal.
                            Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Working...
                            X