Timetables Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timetables Question

How do the airlines create their timetables?

You've got to work out how many flights you can fit into an aircraft per week, then you've got to add the non-flying time to the flying time.

It seems so complicated, does anyone know the procedure?

Regards.
    DTVAirport

For example: (fictional)

One aircraft with one ID tail:

JetBrown B738 N73701 LAX-SFO-SEA-PDX-LAX-LAS-LAX

JetBrown B738 N73702 LAX-JFK-LAX-PHX-LAX

JetBrown B738 N73703 LAX-ORD-LAX-DEN-LAX

JetBrown B738 N73704 LAX-MEX-LAX-MEX-LAX-HNL-LAX

(remember that aircraft cannot fly 24/7 weekly straight they have to one day off flying possible on sunday or saturday or tuesday) the plane must be check up, oil change engines, and etc for a day before return next day service)

that's all you need to make timetable to make one aircraft per day. The plane can make time travel back and fourth no later than 24 hours a day. If that's plane more than 24 hours they're getting 2 aircraft like Delta, NW, UA for a long haul flight. It's pretty complicate.

Stuart

Comment

There are so many factors you have to consider:

Routes to fill.

Available aircraft

Available crew.

Timeslots and gates, as well as support at the airports (agents, baggage handlers, etc.)

Maintenance time

The list goes on. I'd say there probably isn't much method other than to just do it, taking all of those things into consideration.

Comment

I learned a bit about this subject in my Industrial Engineering studies. This is basically an application of decision analysis and operational research.

You define variables such as aircraft, personnel, destinations etc., and then define constraints based on practical requirements (ie: minimum downtime, destination must be served at least X times per day, etc.), and can be expressed as a system of equations. Then you solve the equations with the objective of maximizing profits, maximizing aircraft utilization or whatever.

Comment

Working...
        X