Dan Rather - Boeing 787 Dreamliner 'could be unsafe'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CathayPacific
    I But it is, theoretically, riskier, simply because the material is new, so we don't know for sure how it would react in different circumstances

use of composites, or carbon fiber in general is not new. In the article above you can read about a few aircraft that have used a significant amount of composites in their creation.

Every day I spend about 8 hours watching my students beat the hell out of a Diamond Katana which is made of two composites. The skin is made of glas reinforced plastic (fiberglass) and the load bearing structure is made of carbon fiber reinforced plastic, which if I'm not mistaken is what the 787 will be using a lot of.

Actually, the airplane I fly almost exclusively just went in for its 100 hour. I've been flying the airplane a whole lot lately working on a lot of student landings. We found out that the landing gear must be replaced because it is bent. Guess what the gear is made of? Aluminum.

While it is true that when composites fail, they will break entirely, that isn't exactly a bad thing. If a composite is in one piece, that means it is structurally sound because it does not deform like aluminum does.

Comment

What about testing composites for structural failures. Will airlines have to adopt new MTC practices to keep in check the possibility of failure?
      My Flickr Pictures! Click Me!

Comment

Dan Rather has some serious problems. What a sh!thead

Comment

The guy worked for Boeing for 46 years, sounds like he refused to stay on top on the emerging technology trends that are taking place in the AeroSpace Sector.

..... either that or all of his relatives that work for Alcoa have to switch over to beer can production.
          Robin Guess Aviation Historian, Photographer, Web Designer.

http://www.Jet-Fighters.Net
          http://www.Jet-Liners.Net

Comment

So those people who spam youtube videos with fraudulant information are right, Boeing is out to kill everyone. GO AIRBUS!
            sigpic
            http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Originally posted by Crunk415balla
              So those people who spam youtube videos with fraudulant information are right, Boeing is out to kill everyone. GO AIRBUS!
              Chasen, Chasen, please tell me you are kidding.

Comment

The reason there are suggestions that its dangerous are because 1) The composite materials break up into very SHARP pieces when struck, so passenger evac could be rather dangerous, and 2) When they burn, they release highly toxic gasses, and fine particles (like asbestos).

So, for all survivers and bystanders, there is the very great risk of toxic gasses. I've heard of very very large exclusion zones around the fire for preventing the gas inhalation.

Also, has anyone seen a composite material get struck by lightning? I hope they've got good weather radars!

I'm still a fan of pushing new technologies... bring on the 787! But it will have teething problems... lets hope people don't forget that.

Comment

I used to instruct in Grob G115 aircraft in the early 1990s and the composite design never led to any issues. These poor aircraft were beaten senseless by students and suffered their fair share of hangar rash...all repairable.
                  Design

The aircraft is constructed of advanced composite materials and each wing is a single piece.

Comment

Originally posted by MCM

Also, has anyone seen a composite material get struck by lightning? I hope they've got good weather radars!
                    Highly doubtful that Boeing will put an aircraft in the air that cant survive a lighning strike.

Comment

I never said they would... just asking if you've seen it happen!

(Hint... its rather, ah, explosive)

I think maintenance is going to turn out (initially, until there are lots of composite aircraft in service) to be rather expensive, with the inspection processes very slow and difficult.

I'm still looking forward to the 787. But lets not pretend that this is going to be seamless. Boeing makes errors in judgement too.

Comment

Originally posted by Bok269
                        Chasen, Chasen, please tell me you are kidding.
                        As serious as I was last night when I told Jordan I loved him.
                        sigpic
                        http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Originally posted by Crunk415balla
                          As serious as I was last night when I told Jordan I loved him.
                          Oh no!

Comment

Read down in this article to the paragraph next to the ad with the bicycle. All you need to know about the fired engineer.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...boeing180.html

Comment

Originally posted by B757300
                              This from a guy who was forced to retire because he used faked documents to try and bring down a sitting President.
                              I don't recall anyone ever disproving the facts of the story, just that the documents presented by CBS were not real. The actual facts of the story have never been disproven.
                              DFW Tower.com

Comment

Originally posted by gdg9
                                I don't recall anyone ever disproving the facts of the story, just that the documents presented by CBS were not real. The actual facts of the story have never been disproven.
                                In other words, it’s not “the nature of the evidence but seriousness of the charge.”

The documents are fake and therefore anything based on those documents is bogus unless proven otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                                X