RIP: Paul Tibbets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP: Paul Tibbets

COLUMBUS, Ohio - Paul Tibbets, who piloted the B-29 bomber Enola Gay that dropped the atomic bomb on Hiroshima, died Thursday. He was 92 and insisted almost to his dying day that he had no regrets about the mission and slept just fine at night.

Tibbets died at his Columbus home, said Gerry Newhouse, a longtime friend. He suffered from a variety of health problems and had been in decline for two months.

Tibbets had requested no funeral and no headstone, fearing it would provide his detractors with a place to protest, Newhouse said.
    Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Yes just heard about it. R.I.P. to the guy. He didn't do anything bad...he did what he was told to...

Comment

Rest in Peace, General.

Comment

Damn, I just did a presentation on him and Hiroshima in English class last Friday!

Comment

Originally posted by B757300
          Rest in Peace, General.

Amen

Comment

God Bless and Rest In Place
            O'Hare - The Aviation God's greatest creation, or their greatest mistake? you be the judge!

Comment

Originally posted by Crism
              Damn, I just did a presentation on him and Hiroshima in English class last Friday!
              Would you mind sharing some of it? I did my senior thesis on nuclear weapons in WWII when I was finishing up my History BA @ Texas A&M so this is a topic of great interest to me and I wouldn’t mind hearing what you did.

Comment

R.I.P. Paul you are a great hero in helping to end WW II.

Just a little FYI Pauls Grandson is a B-2 Commander with the 509th at Whiteman AFB Mo. The same bomb wing that Paul commanded in WW II. it is good to see the family traditions being carried on thru the years.
                Robin Guess Aviation Historian, Photographer, Web Designer.

http://www.Jet-Fighters.Net
                http://www.Jet-Liners.Net

Comment

Originally posted by Jet-fighters.Net
                  R.I.P. Paul you are a great hero in helping to end WW II.

Just a little FYI Pauls Grandson is a B-2 Commander with the 509th at Whiteman AFB Mo. The same bomb wing that Paul commanded in WW II. it is good to see the family traditions being carried on thru the years.
                  Wow that's VERY cool indeed!
                  Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Originally posted by Crism
                    Odd how timing works isn't it?

I just got to know and photograph Steve Fossett as he was being enshrined into the Hall of Fame less than a month before he disappeared
                    Tanner Johnson - Owner
                    twenty53 Photography

Comment

Yeah, just read an article. We were at war. He was a solider. He did his job and nothing else. RIP.
                      sigpic
                      http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

I always looked up to him. He did his job and never complained, even when it was something like bombing the sh!t out of Japan. RIP

Comment

R.I.P Brigadier General Paul Warfield Tibbets !

Comment

Nobody denies that what happened at Hiroshima was a great tragedy, but there is no way you can complain at a 92 year old man who did what he was told and ended a war that could have ended in far more meaningless deaths.

My prayers rest with him and his family. May he rest in peace.

Comment

Watch video - Click Link

The human toll of a nuclear blast

I dont know what to say about the video. Mr. Tibbets carried out an order and he accomplished it. Basically he's a pilot that followed an order. And because of his actions, it made the japanese surrender. But watching the outcome in the video is just disturbing. People that did survived the blast thought they had their second chance, but little did they know that they slowly dying, getting ill because of the radiation. I feel sad that so many lives lost that day. May Mr. Tibbets and the 80 million japanese people rest in peace !!!!
                              Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Working...
                              X