Cathay Pacific hiring 1400 flight attendents + Dragonair hiring 50 pilots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cathay Pacific hiring 1400 flight attendents + Dragonair hiring 50 pilots

Local newspaper in Hong Kong reports that Cathay Pacific is going to hire 1400 flight attendents in a few months. 1200 of them would be for CX and about 200 for Dragonair. Salary is not very attractive though. It is about US$18000 annually for entry level FA.

Also, Dragonair is hiring 50 pilots. The article did not mention the salary but I imagine that it should be quite lucrative. Pilots in CX/KA also get a lot more chances to fly widebodies much earlier in their careers compare to their US/European counterparts.
    Next:
    None Planned

Originally posted by CathayPacific
    It is about US$18000 annually for entry level FA.
    I am not into Asian economy and the relation of their earnings compared to North American ones, but it seems to be really low. In Canada I bet you can earn more that that working at the construction site. Any chance for raise there after some time ?

Comment

For $18,000 USD they are making about or maybe even less than the F/As at Skybus - and NO COMISSION! Umm, Cathay Pacific is known for providing great customer service and amenities - how do they expect to attract great staff by paying them so very little?
      Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Salary is not low if you are someone who actually lives in Hong Kong. Food, clothing, transportation, and most other living expenses are a lot lower than Western Europe and North America, with the possible exception of housing.

Comment

Originally posted by AA 1818
          For $18,000 USD they are making about or maybe even less than the F/As at Skybus - and NO COMISSION! Umm, Cathay Pacific is known for providing great customer service and amenities - how do they expect to attract great staff by paying them so very little?
          One major reason for HongKong salary generally lower than in US or Europe is that in HongKong, the income tax rate is 15% flat. And the first US$13000 of your annual salary is NOT taxable. If you have other allowances (e.g. you have kids, you have senior parents who you pay for their expenses, etc.), you are not paying tax at all with a salary of US$18000. Even if you only get the personal allowance, you are only paying 15% tax on US$5000, i.e. US$750 for the whole year. And then there are no sales tax.

US$18000 per year is about the average salary you get in HongKong for a new graduate from university.

Originally posted by pkonowrocki
          In Canada I bet you can earn more that that working at the construction site. Any chance for raise there after some time ?
          Yes, except that I am paying a 45% tax rate in Canada. (no, I am not working at a construction site)

After the 14% sales tax, the effective tax rate in Ontario is over 50%. So, to make the same after-tax income in Ontario compare to what CX is paying its entry level FAs, Air Canada would need to pay about US$38000.
          Next:
          None Planned

Comment

thats one really low pay for FA !! but im sure lots of people will go for it as its like a dream for many hkgese.

Comment

Originally posted by CathayPacific
              One major reason for HongKong salary generally lower than in US or Europe is that in HongKong, the income tax rate is 15% flat. And the first US$13000 of your annual salary is NOT taxable. If you have other allowances (e.g. you have kids, you have senior parents who you pay for their expenses, etc.), you are not paying tax at all with a salary of US$18000. Even if you only get the personal allowance, you are only paying 15% tax on US$5000, i.e. US$750 for the whole year. And then there are no sales tax.

US$18000 per year is about the average salary you get in HongKong for a new graduate from university.

Yes, except that I am paying a 45% tax rate in Canada. (no, I am not working at a construction site)

After the 14% sales tax, the effective tax rate in Ontario is over 50%. So, to make the same after-tax income in Ontario compare to what CX is paying its entry level FAs, Air Canada would need to pay about US$38000.

OK, That has to be nominated for "Answer of the Year"! FANTASTIC ANSWER! I really did not consider the math behind the numbers. Thank you for really presenting it in a way that I can understand - and now, I see what you are saying. BTW, is this payrate unusual for a starting salary at Cathay Pacific? How much do their senior flight attendents make? And, is a college degree required to take the position?
              Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Originally posted by AA 1818
                BTW, is this payrate unusual for a starting salary at Cathay Pacific? How much do their senior flight attendents make? And, is a college degree required to take the position?
                I think this pay is normal for entry level FA. I am not sure how much the senior FAs are paid and what's the career path looks like though. The position does not require college degree but fluency in English and Chinese is required.
                Next:
                None Planned

Comment

Working...
                X