Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Iraqi Airways to Start Flying to London?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iraqi Airways to Start Flying to London?????

Hi All,

I just got some news that Iraqi Airways have leased 2 new planes one being a 747 and the other is a 767. Talk of this began when the Iraqi Trasnport ministor commented on Iraqi TV saying that they hope to start flying to London by December or January. I have searched for the internet but I cant find anything?

I was wondering if anyone has any news?

Btw the 767-200 they had earlier has now gone to Air India and I presume this 767 is from someone else.

Thanks in advance for any info.

I haven't heard anything, but I would be surprise if the British Government even let them considering how high risk area Iraq is.
    John Poshepny

If the Wright brother were alive today Wilbur would have to fire Orville to reduce costs.— Herb Kelleher, Southwest Airlines, 'USA Today,' 1994

Comment

To be honest, I think things have improved since the US surge in Baghdad as well and just today a report said the violence was down by 55%.

As violence goes down then the chance of Iraqi Airways flying into London increases.

Comment

Originally posted by Irajaw
        To be honest, I think things have improved since the US surge in Baghdad as well and just today a report said the violence was down by 55%.

As violence goes down then the chance of Iraqi Airways flying into London increases.
        Very True, I didn't think of that while typing, since my Brain is over worked, 5 Tests this week in 3 Days will do that to you and it isn't even Finals
        John Poshepny

If the Wright brother were alive today Wilbur would have to fire Orville to reduce costs.— Herb Kelleher, Southwest Airlines, 'USA Today,' 1994

Comment

Well hopefully only good will come out of this and not bad. Hopefully.

-Chris

Comment

Are they flying anywhere now? I remember back in 1990 going to JFK and seeing the Iraqi Airways sign, sure would be nice to see them bring back a 747 to JFK...ah one can dream, lol

Comment

Presently no airline shows scheduled service from Baghdad to any of the London airports.

Comment

Originally posted by tommyalf
                Are they flying anywhere now? I remember back in 1990 going to JFK and seeing the Iraqi Airways sign, sure would be nice to see them bring back a 747 to JFK...ah one can dream, lol

They do have some scheduled service to neighbouring countries with daily flights to Amman, Jordan and Damascus, Syria. However there are also flights to Dubai, Cairo, Istanbul and Tehran. There is also national network with flights to Irbil and Basra both from Baghdad respectively.

Flying to JFK....well that would be the ultimate dream....wouldn't it?

Comment

OK, ok, I know that money makes the world go 'round, but I have to ask - why is it that someone did not sponsor IA in order for them to get new aircraft soon. I mean, I understand that they have an outstanding order for Airbus aircraft - albiet an older order, why not covert to another type and place an order for A330s and some A319s?

The reason that I say that is b/c it just seems that every time that I read about the airline - they are struggling to rent/lease aircraft that they can get quickly, but aircraft nonetheless may not be the best fit for them. In all reality does IA need to operate 747s? I don't think that they need a plane of that size for anything other than cargo operations. But I want to see them gat planes that they actually need, and maybe someone aiding them back to their feet - with more affordable leases. More 767s, or some A330s, or some A340s or some 777s...something. I just want to see them find their feet and get back to proper operations. Maybe this way we may see more stability in Iraq.
                  Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

I dont know if this has anything to do with the fact that Iraqi Airways can or cannot get planes but, can there be some insurance thing on?

I read recently that the planes they have now are all registered to countries in Africa. Excuse my ignorance but does this have an effect on whether or not the airline can acquire any planes?

Comment

Well as long as the US government thinks "war is not the answer except for our problems" then Iraqi Airways won't be likely to be flying.

Comment

Originally posted by hansonator69
                        Well as long as the US government thinks "war is not the answer except for our problems" then Iraqi Airways won't be likely to be flying.
                        Mods?

Yes the war is hampering Iraqi Airways operations. No politics are not appropriate here.

Comment

i would love to see one of these a/c in person, that multi-colour green livery is awesome, according to another source, there was an Iraqi 767 at LHR as recent as June 2007.

now type 767, Iraqi Airways and Heathrow into the search option.

Comment

Working...
                          X