Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tehran mehrabad airport closing?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Tehran mehrabad airport closing?

    Is tehran mehrabad closing and transferring the flights to Imam Khomeni? what is the reason behind this when the airport is 30km out the city and the only means of getting there is via road and you have to pay a toll??

  • #2
    Tranfer of all airlines from THR to IKA was always on the agenda, it was meant to be done in phases which has been completed now.

    More information http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mehraba...tional_Airport

    Comment


    • #3
      ok, thanks

      Comment


      • #4
        BUT - I think that it stays open for flight during Haaj...

        I know that I have heard at least a few people complain that the new airport is far out of the city, and that Mehrabad - while old, was convenient...
        Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by AA 1818
          BUT - I think that it stays open for flight during Haaj...

          I know that I have heard at least a few people complain that the new airport is far out of the city, and that Mehrabad - while old, was convenient...
          trust me, it is very far away, about 1 hour drive from the center of the city. only means of transport to the airport is via car and you have to pay a toll on the road and when you get to the airport itself for your flight you have to pay a toll also. Not much for us westerners, but both the tolls can hit hard on some people who live in iran.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by iranair777
            trust me, it is very far away, about 1 hour drive from the center of the city. only means of transport to the airport is via car and you have to pay a toll on the road and when you get to the airport itself for your flight you have to pay a toll also. Not much for us westerners, but both the tolls can hit hard on some people who live in iran.
            Yeah, a friend of mine told me that the departure tax was a bit outrageous. He said that it was not that bad at the original airport, but that it jumped to huge amounts at the new airport. Why did they build it so far away from the city? I know that they probably needed the extra room, but an hour away seems a bit excessive!
            Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

            Comment


            • #7
              When i was in Iran in 2000 and 2002 the airport it took a really long time, and there was traffic. Which airport is closer to the city?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by hansonator69
                When i was in Iran in 2000 and 2002 the airport it took a really long time, and there was traffic. Which airport is closer to the city?
                mehrabad is virtually in the city centre (thats how close it is as oppose to heathrow and IKA) but the new one IKA is about 30-40km south of the city

                Comment

                Working...
                X