X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to be a Chinese Airline F/A

Just imagine how many lawers would be all over this method in the US

http://www.startribune.com/722/story/1571106.html
    Robin Guess Aviation Historian, Photographer, Web Designer.

http://www.Jet-Fighters.Net
    http://www.Jet-Liners.Net

SingAir's been doing similar interviews in the past.

Comment

Just illustrates that fortunately the world still has it's different cultures and hasn't yet merged into one giant culture. Still, I wanna see the tv prog!!! Anyone know what it's called?

Comment

Originally posted by B7772ADL
        Just illustrates that fortunately the world still has it's different cultures and hasn't yet merged into one giant culture. Still, I wanna see the tv prog!!! Anyone know what it's called?
        Yeah.... and frankly that proably makes the flight a lot more enjoyable!

Comment

Originally posted by B7772ADL
          "Flight Attendant Idol"
          And as "discriminating" as this is, it's certainly better than having age 60+, 250-lbs FAs like the US carriers have .

Comment

I think that China has far bigger problems to worry about than whether the flight attendants are picked based upon looks or skill, anyway.
            Plus, I can't say I've ever seen a fat chinese woman...

Comment

Originally posted by Star Alliance
              Plus, I can't say I've ever seen a fat chinese woman...
              Just wait until All-You-Can-Eat buffets are being introduced in China .

Comment

Originally posted by DAL767-400ER
                Just wait until All-You-Can-Eat buffets are being introduced in China .
                Aaaaaaand, I stand corrected.

Comment

Ok, so where this might come into play is if a U.S. group learns of this - and then protest airlines that codeshare (or are in alliances said airlines) that are based in the U.S. For example, if UA codeshares with China Southern then people who would be offended by this measure would boycott UA. This is discriminatory, but it is valid in the nation in which it is occuring.
                  Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

This is a common practice across Asia. It may not be as extreme as having a swimsuit competition, but you have to look good (male or female) to be a F/A. Japan Airlines, ANA, Korean Air, Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific and China Airlines (of Taiwan) all use the same criteria. JAL and ANA Female F/As are required to retire from work after marriage (actually most female workers are required to leave work after marriage in Japan). Cathay and Singapore mandate a 45-year-old retirement age for female F/As.

Their primary market is in Asia and I can tell you that Asian passengers will not tolerate old fat F/As after paying the fare that those airlines charge them.
                    Next:
                    None Planned

Comment

Does anyone remember what the late sir Reginald Ansett once called f/a's?

"old boilers" was the remark that changed the criteria used for hiring after strike action taken by them for more pay. Its a culture thing with China. Good on em i say.
                      You cant have the best virtual airline in the world without the best people. Ansett Australia.

Comment

Working...
                      X