Jumpseat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jumpseat

I don't know if this is the right category, but I've seen multiple pictures taken from the cockpit of an aircraft during flight or on the runway. The person taking the picture was in the jumpseat. Would I be able to ask the pilots to ride in the jumpseat for the flight or would I have to be a dead-heading pilot to ride in the jumpseat.

I wish I worked for Delta
    AVL to ATL and CVG on Delta

My virtual airline is located here.

You need to be a pilot or qualified airline employee from an airline either in the CASS system or who has a reciprocal agreement with the carrier you want to jumpseat on. Ultimately it is up to the Captain, but you won't be able to without meeting the above.

Comment

Originally posted by Bok269
      You need to be a pilot or qualified airline employee from an airline either in the CASS system or who has a reciprocal agreement with the carrier you want to jumpseat on. Ultimately it is up to the Captain, but you won't be able to without meeting the above.
      Translation: NO! Unless employee of airline.

-Chris

Comment

It is all about who you know

Comment

Thanks for the info

I wish I worked for Delta
          AVL to ATL and CVG on Delta

My virtual airline is located here.

Comment

In Canada you must be flight crew in uniform (including IFS but deadheading only). flight dispatchers (fam flight), Operations Control Manager (fam flight), Transport Canada (check ride).

That's it!

Comment

Originally posted by z740
              Translation: NO! Unless employee of airline.

-Chris
              I wish. Its a bit more than that I'm afriad. Customer Service agents like me or others like ramp agents or adminstration people can't jumpseat either, in the US anyway. But those who can jumpseat, pretty much just pilots, but maybe F/As too, can usually jumpseat on other airlines if the captain gives the thumbs up.

However, since it is the captain decision, it may come down to who you know and non-pilots may still on occasion score a jumpseat.

Dale, do you know if the dispatch or weight and balance guys get any jumpseat privlages?
              sigpic
              http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Originally posted by Crunk415balla
                Dale, do you know if the dispatch or weight and balance guys get any jumpseat privlages?
                Nope, as far as Canada is concerned it is only the people I mentioned (dispatch yes, weight and balance no). Pilots from other airlines must be in uniform and it has to be prearranged. Our rules are very tough thanks to a couple of U.S. Senators who keep harping that the terrorists came from Canada, when they did not. They entered the U.S. from overseas.

Believe it or not for my fam trip a couple of weeks ago Homeland Security in the U.S was even notified I would be there on the flight deck. Also to get your ID for a Canadian airport you have to agree to let your personal information be shared with Homeland Security. If you do not you will not get your security clearance.

Comment

Are you insinuating that the US Homeland Security is a tad oversensitive?
                  sigpic
                  http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Unless you're a pilot who works for an airline with a reciprocal jumpseat agreement and in the CASS system, or riding on your own airline, it will never come down to who you know.

I couldn't even let my wife ride the jumpseat if she wanted to.

Our flight attendants are required to ride the jumpseat once per year for training purposes. Other than that ride, and another one while they're on IOE, that's the only time they're permitted to ride the jumpseat.

I know it would be fun for most of you to ride up there, but trust me.... Jumpseats are merely torture devices used for line checks and commuting pilots. Most of the time they're cramped, have no leg room, and you sit bolt upright for the duration.

I had to ride from BTV to BNA via Philly in a CRJ jumpseat. I was, and still am damn appreciative for the ride, but my back hurt for 3 days....
                    Bite me Airways.....

Comment

Originally posted by Crunk415balla
                      Are you insinuating that the US Homeland Security is a tad oversensitive?
                      You can be nice and say it that way.

Comment

Originally posted by ptbodale
                        You can be nice and say it that way.
                        I have to agree with you on that one. Unfortunately.

-Chris

Comment

^I am not surprised about Dale's experience, just a little be outraged as they also are about to require the passengers'list of all flights just overflying the US from/to Canada ...
                          ^^I figure them in going to the extent of requiring a FAA id for all jumseat flying ... the world over, whichever the aircraft's base !!!

Alain
                          Thanks for visiting
                          *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
                          *JetPhotos*
                          Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Originally posted by JSchraub
                            It is all about who you know
                            And what airline the people you know work at. It's still possible to jumpseat in some countries in Europe. In the US it doesn't really matter who you know, even if the First Officer is your brother (which has been the case for me many times), they won't let a regular passenger jumpseat.

Comment

Originally posted by uy707
                              ^I am not surprised about Dale's experience, just a little be outraged as they also are about to require the passengers'list of all flights just overflying the US from/to Canada ...
                              Alain
                              Having worked almost 29 years with a Transport Canada ID and a fairly high security clearance it was a bit maddening to be told I have to allow my personal info to be shared with "other governments" or else I cannot have my new ID card and thus lose my airside access.

Also the U.S. demand to know who is on flights that are not originating or terminating in the U.S. is absurd.

Comment

Working...
                              X