Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First flight of 787

Mark your calendars for March 31, 2008

Robin Guess Aviation Historian, Photographer, Web Designer.

http://www.Jet-Fighters.Net
    http://www.Jet-Liners.Net

Do you take this to be reliable. Will it really be march 31st? Also is there a good chance of more dalayes? If the blog is true, this is good news... I guess.
    Will C.

Comment

Flightblogger is an extremely reliable source. Given the fact that they have actually put a date on it, I give it much credibility. They have given so many earlier ranges of dates, but now that they have given a firm date I feel confident in it.

Comment

flight blogger is very reliable, check out its archives and you will see, hope march 31st comes soon

yes i am a boeing fan, and i know thats a airbus, haha

Comment

As reliable as FlightBlogger is, I still have my doubts. Oh well, here's hoping for the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerrycobra Boeing
            flight blogger is very reliable
            He is only as "reliable" as the people within Boeing who are willing to jeopardize their jobs/careers.

All it takes is one Boeing employee to feed him some untrue 787 material which he will post - and poof!

All his "reliability" will be in tatters.
            ...Because The Sky Is A Canvas, Waiting For A Masterpiece...

Click

Comment

Originally posted by Bok269
              Flightblogger is an extremely reliable source. Given the fact that they have actually put a date on it, I give it much credibility. They have given so many earlier ranges of dates, but now that they have given a firm date I feel confident in it.

Flying along with this. I also figure the guys at Flight to make regular cross checking.
              Thanks for visiting
              *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
              *JetPhotos*
              Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

flight blogger is only ran by one person, and he's known as IAD787 on airliners

yes i am a boeing fan, and i know thats a airbus, haha

Comment

I think flightblogger provides a reliable alternative to the normal bland press releases.

His latest news is fascinating regarding a new nose section that appears not to have any production related destination, and suggests it is possibly a new test piece.

As a humble engineer I still wonder about the 787's ability to withstand the flexing that is associated with conventional metal fuselages.

It is after all allegedly "stiff", and although the wings are easily explained by the fact that the fibre layers are laid in the direction of flexing, a composite barrel does not enjoy that luxury.

Many years ago I flew sailplanes with composite wings, and they were great!

Comment

lets hope they iron out those problems, but then like the A380 it is a breakthrough aircraft and if problems weren't picked up something must be wrong.

Looking forward to seeing it in the air though, if it does fly then how does that alter the delivery schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by chaser
                      I still wonder about the 787's ability to withstand the flexing that is associated with conventional metal fuselages.
                      One thing that has been discovered the past few years with composit components is the ability to design flex into the layup of the fibers. While not quite the same thing as jetliner Formula 1 cars has started to use wimgs that would flatten out at high speeds and snap back up under braking to add drag and aerodynamic downforce. The amount of flex that they got was 3-4 times more than with Aluminum wings with no signs of cracking and such. So the possibility is there to create flex into the design.
                      Robin Guess Aviation Historian, Photographer, Web Designer.

http://www.Jet-Fighters.Net
                      http://www.Jet-Liners.Net

Comment

Composites flex very well when they are laid in the expected load paths, like a wing spar for instance.

The problem I see is that the barrels composites are laid to provide circumferential (big word) strength and integrity.

The bending of the fuselage as a whole is in a completely different plane (no pun intended)

Just hope my fears are unfounded, but the minimum unstick test may be interesting when the aft section drags along the runway. That is a big bending moment

Comment

It would be good to finally see a 787 in the air. It's a great plane.

Comment

Working...
                          X