Flight Delayed? Get PAID!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flight Delayed? Get PAID!

RIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil - Airlines operating in Brazil will have to compensate customers for delays of longer than a half an hour, paying more as waits grow longer, the nation's top aviation official said Tuesday.

The new system, that should be implemented by presidential decree before Christmas, will require airlines to pay customers 5 percent of the ticket price for delays of between 30 minutes and one hour and up to 50 percent of the price for delays of more than five hours.
    I guess that's a win for passengers. I don't know how Brazilian airlines on-time performance compares to U.S. based carriers.
    Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

I can't see the airlines in Brazil lasting longer than a few days before filing for bankruptcy if this is the case lol

Comment

No doubt pax should get refunds in case of long delays, but damn, that's just ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by DAL767-400ER
        No doubt pax should get refunds in case of long delays, but damn, that's just ridiculous.
        I think where it's not the airlines' fault (ATC, weather) there should be no refund. But if it's a crew scheduling delay or mechanical, then yes there should be some form of compensation.
        Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Does this mean Brazil pays whent their ATC goes tits up?

Comment

I think penalties starting with a delay of half-an-hour is a bit excessive. Many flight delay insurance offered by credit cards allows claims after 4-hr of flight delay. I think penalties would make sense to start around that.
            Next:
            None Planned

Comment

"Tomorrow class we'll be reading Chapter 11:Brazilian Aviation Strategies."

-Chris

Comment

Once the flight is going to delay over 1/2 hour you only have to cancel it. Then the airline just has to create a "section" at the new departure time.

A number of airlines do that already if the delay is going to be more than 4 hours.

Comment

Ok, I have to wonder why or how this law made sense to the legislators of Brazil. Yes, making laws to improove the services provided by airlines would be beneficial, but to do so at this stage seems a bit idiotic. Their market is budding - new airlines coming online, their larger flag carrier just becoming extinct (and reborn under a new machination). I just think that at this time, this seems a bit harsh.
                  Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Originally posted by AA 1818
                    Ok, I have to wonder why or how this law made sense to the legislators of Brazil. Yes, making laws to improove the services provided by airlines would be beneficial, but to do so at this stage seems a bit idiotic. Their market is budding - new airlines coming online, their larger flag carrier just becoming extinct (and reborn under a new machination). I just think that at this time, this seems a bit harsh.
                    My guess is that with all the deficciencies in Brazil's transport system, legislators were trying to use this as a way to gain favor with the people without actually doing what is needed (ie upgrade the ATC system). This is much like the proposed opening of military air space by Dubya or the proposed pax bill of rights (not B6's version).

Comment

Working...
                    X