Boeing to decide on 737 replacement by 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boeing to decide on 737 replacement by 2010

Now time to think on mid-term, they get the money to do so and the opportunity to really hold the lead for some more decades. Not only "may decide" but should decide

SOURCE:Flightglobal.com
    Boeing may decide 737 replacement plan within 18 months
    By Stephen Trimble

Boeing may decide to launch a replacement programme for the 737 before May 2009.

Scott Carson, Boeing Commercial Airplanes president, says the company will “likely” decide on a single-aisle replacement within 18 months. A final decision must be made by the company by 2012, he adds.

A Boeing spokeswoman confirms Carson’s remarks, which were reported in the French newspaper Le Monde.

The new timeline means Boeing could be seeking to advance the development schedule for the 737 replacement.

In the past, company officials have stated that technology to justify a 737 replacement would not become available until at least 2015.
    Thanks for visiting
    *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
    *JetPhotos*
    Airliners*Pbase.com

I think this article deserves its own topic, could make for some interesting discussion .

IMHO, Boeing would probably have no problems launching the 737RS before 2010 using 787 technology, but the question still is, will RR, PW or GE be able to have the wanted "super-efficient next-generation engine" available that soon? The engines are pretty much the main factor that decides the market arrival of the 737RS (and the A320 successor for that matter).

Comment

Really not much of a surprise. A launch in 2010 would make EIS by 2015 doable.

Comment

I wonder what they'd call it. 797? If not, would they begin a new series? Or just continue the 7X7 series, and start using letters instead, such as 7A7, 7B7, and so on?

This'd be interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by callufrax
          I wonder what they'd call it. 797? If not, would they begin a new series? Or just continue the 7X7 series, and start using letters instead, such as 7A7, 7B7, and so on?

This'd be interesting.
          I'd imagine that Boing would go to 797. From there its anyone's guess. Im pulling for 8_7.

Comment

My guess is the 797, but who knows.

-Chris

Comment

A new Boeing 737 replacment? Sounds good, I wonder what it's going to be called.

Comment

The risk is the engine, if you launch the program to early. In the class of the 737/A320 you could go with more electrified engines like the 787 / fans with reduction gear like PW is working on or even open-rotor / propfan designs.

As long as the engine makers have not decided which way they want to go, Boeing is trapped in the same position as Bombardier with the the CS-Series, which would also need a new engine to distance itself from the competition.

Comment

My guess, for once, Boeing will skip a number and grasp this opportunity to introduce the Eight series, starting with the 807 or even the jump straight to the 837 and altogether set aside the 797/807/817/827 if they go for 837. Remember they once jumped from the 377 to the 707 back in '52.
                  As for the motorist, Boeing may have a persuading power not enjoyed by Bombardier.
                  There too, motorists often followed Boeing, sometimes in a do-or-die with the 747, just to name one.
                  Thanks for visiting
                  *JetPhotos*
                  Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

However engine manufactures are still undecided which goals will have to be met and what will be most important. For example a prop-fan will give you a huge CO2 reduction as it is more efficient that a normal fan, yet it is also more noisy.

Comment

Whatever the replacement is, I can't wait! I am betting is will look like a smaller-scale single aisle 787.
                      Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

It might look like a DC-9.

Comment

Originally posted by uy707
                          My guess, for once, Boeing will skip a number and grasp this opportunity to introduce the Eight series, starting with the 807 or even the jump straight to the 837 and altogether set aside the 797/807/817/827 if they go for 837. Remember they once jumped from the 377 to the 707 back in '52.
                          As for the motorist, Boeing may have a persuading power not enjoyed by Bombardier.
                          There too, motorists often followed Boeing, sometimes in a do-or-die with the 747, just to name one.
                          It was no jump. Boeing had a lot of different projects, military and civil, and each of them had its own model-number up to 600 (....missiles I think...?). Apparently the 700's were free and the Boeing's marketing department found "Boeing 707" much better than Boeing 700. If Boeing should keep this system, so a Boeing 797 will be definetly the last one of the 7's.

get FRA spotting informations here:
                          www.Frankfurt-Aviation-Friends.eu

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingPhotog
                            Whatever the replacement is, I can't wait! I am betting is will look like a smaller-scale single aisle 787.
                            Also going on that
                            Thanks for visiting
                            *JetPhotos*
                            Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Originally posted by seahawk
                              It might look like a DC-9.
                              NOT Funny!

OK well maybe a little funny, but a scary thought.
                              Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Working...
                              X