Why no windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why no windows

Can anyone please tell me why there are gaps in window panels of some aircraft? For example of the B747 just in front of the wings there is a break in the line of windows. Very frustrating when one asks for a window seat and is faced with a solid panel when on board.

Good question, i know on alot of planes the toilets are against the wall so from the outside theres a gap in the windows, but on the plane im not sure, maybe a wiring thing, i doubt it would b coz of aerodynamics.
    There's nothing like an airport for bringing you down to earth. Richard Gordon

Comment

It is where the airconditioning crossover ducts pass from the packs below the cabin to the ceiling ducting.

Comment

Originally posted by AJ
        It is where the airconditioning crossover ducts pass from the packs below the cabin to the ceiling ducting.
        That's exactly what I was thinking!

I NEVER would have guessed that! Rather interesting though.

-Chris

Comment

Airbus A340-500

Originally posted by bedders174
          Can anyone please tell me why there are gaps in window panels of some aircraft? For example of the B747 just in front of the wings there is a break in the line of windows. Very frustrating when one asks for a window seat and is faced with a solid panel when on board.
          Be fortunate when you specifically ask for a window seat and you do get your actual seat. I happened to talk with two Check In agents in MNL, I dont remember if one of them was new at work or not, I specifically requested an aisle seat for "easy access" to the galley/lavatory. Or window seat as I liked to look out of the window. But no they put me on the middle seat of a three-seatrow all the way from MNL-CPH via AMS. So like I said, be fortunate atleast you get what you asked for.

Just found an Air International magazine, and I looked at the cutaway drawing. Confirming what AJ said in his post. Here's a shot of the drawing.

Courtesy of Mike Badrocke '04 for Air International magazine.
          Last edited by MaxPower; 2007-12-11, 01:56.
          Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by z740
            That's exactly what I was thinking!

I NEVER would have guessed that! Rather interesting though.

-Chris
            How about we stop posting in every single thread, calm down, and think about what we're saying so that it actually makes sense and contributes to what the thread?

Comment

[QUOTE=MaxPower]Be fortunate when you specifically ask for a window seat and you do get your actual seat. I happened to talk with two Check In agents in MNL, I dont remember if one of them was new at work or not, I specifically requested an aisle seat for "easy access" to the galley/lavatory. Or window seat as I liked to look out of the window. But no they put me on the middle seat of a three-seatrow all the way from MNL-CPH via AMS. So like I said, be fortunate atleast you get what you asked for.

haha, they gave you the average of the two seats, be specific with them :P.
              better luck next time
              There's nothing like an airport for bringing you down to earth. Richard Gordon

Comment

Bad seat - KLM Bad service...= Worst flight ever. Food was alright though.

Originally posted by QFCPT747
                haha, they gave you the average of the two seats, be specific with them :P.
                better luck next time
                Yeah. But it's really bad, when I asked her, please give me an aisle seat or a window seat, not half of each. damnit woman..*Duh...* she even then confirmed that I GOT the window seat... I was so disspointed. I think the reason is that I was travelling alone, and the bad part of it is not knowing any of my seat-partners, like I did outbound CPH, its always better to travel with someone you know, better yet your gf. thus I can't neither lean towards right or left. I was limited to my '32 x '17 seatpitch.
                Last edited by MaxPower; 2007-12-12, 11:21.
                Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

In addition to what AJ said before, some aircraft (KL's 744 comes to mind) have galleys on the side of the aircraft, and configure the aircraft with the windows covered

Comment

(Maybe) noteworthy is that Deltas MD-88 aircraft are unique compared to other MD-80s I think that they too have one window covered on the left-hand side on the forward fuselage because of airconditioning ducts - I cant confirm this information. This was probably because the MD-88s of Delta were configured for a possible retrofit to MD-80UHB-standard and thus some modifications were made. Practically all other MD-80s do not have covered windows because of ducts (but galleys/lavatories/stowages etc.).

Regards, IB M87
                    http://www.MD-80.com / MD-80.com on facebook https://www.facebook.com/MD80com / MD-80.com on Twitter: https://twitter.com/MD80com

Comment

Crism, Chris is just enthusiastic about airplanes.....and posting.
                      My Flickr Pictures! Click Me!

Comment

Working...
                      X