Airlines to offer in-flight internet service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airlines to offer in-flight internet service

Passengers may soon hear a new in-flight announcement: “You can now log on.”

Starting next week and over the next few months, several American airlines will test Internet service on their planes.

On Tuesday, JetBlue Airways will begin offering a free e-mail and instant messaging service on one aircraft, while American Airlines, Virgin America and Alaska Airlines plan to offer a broader Web experience in the coming months, probably priced at about $10 a flight.

“I think 2008 is the year when we will finally start to see in-flight Internet access become available, but I suspect the rollout domestically will take place in a very measured way,” said Henry Harteveldt, an analyst with Forrester Research. But “in a few years time, if you get on a flight that doesn’t have Internet access, it will be like walking into a hotel room that doesn’t have TV.”
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/07/te...FTvYzwUoNtMDjw

Well it's about time!

On the other hand, I do hope they never allow mobile phones in flight. (Unfortunately I think it's inevitable though)

Yes, but remember - once there is internet access, you cannot stop communicating devices from working. What is to stop me from using an internet phone carrier while inflight. The only thing that can stop phone use is to have the airline pass an operating procedure banning the uses of all phones onboard and aicraft - which will probably never happen. The skies are about to get alot louder.
    Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Qantas has been "trialling" the use of mobile phone data connections for a while now... so far voice has been inhibited.

They have stated they intend to keep it that way... the majority of passengers will get peeved if they don't!

The thing that amazes me is that a lot of long haul aircraft have the capacity for people to make phone calls already (Qantas certainly have it on their longhaul aircraft). Sure, its expensive, but its possible.

If your mobile is allowed to be used, it will be equally expensive... but yet people still want it! YOU'VE ALREADY GOT IT!

Beats me!

Comment

It has been known for a couple months that Alaska is going to be testing inflight internet.
        You've got to try to find what's right before your eyes-Finger Eleven

Comment

Working...
        X