Pilot Retirement Age - 65 (almost)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pilot Retirement Age - 65 (almost)

The U.S. House of Representatives has voted to raise the maximum commercial pilot age to 65. Not it only has to pass the Senate and get the President's signature!

USA TODAY delivers current national and local news, sports, entertainment, finance, technology, and more through award-winning journalism, photos, and videos.
    Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

The article says it has passed the Senate late today and I suspect it is highly unlikely to face a veto.

Comment

2/3s majority, haha

yes i am a boeing fan, and i know thats a airbus, haha

Comment

Glad to see this! I knew it was only a matter of time, exciting news, thats for sure!
        Last edited by DAL767-400ER; 2007-12-14, 09:44. Reason: Deleted Off-Topic part
        sigpic
        http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

On Topic: What does this mean for pilots? And, are there any concerns for working age and consistency?
          Last edited by DAL767-400ER; 2007-12-14, 09:47. Reason: Deleted Off-Topic part
          My Flickr Pictures! Click Me!

Comment

Originally posted by Cam
            On Topic: What does this mean for pilots?
            That they can work longer and earn more money (d'uh ). But really, this more an advantage for the industry than for the pilots themselves, as this could help reduce the prevalent lack pilots the industry is experiencing, even if not by a huge margin. Of course, it all depends on how many pilots are actually willing and/or able till they are 65.

Originally posted by Cam
            And, are their any concerns for working age and consistency?
            There are, which is why it took so long for the retirement age to be raised. But it seems that people have finally realised that through regular medical checks (eyesight, hearing, reaction time, etc), it can be determined whether a pilot is still a good flyer or whether he should better retire, regardless of age.

Comment

For those of us stuck at a crappy job, it sucks.
              Bite me Airways.....

Comment

DAL, its good in theory, not so in practice. The medical guys still don't really know when someone is going to keel over.

ICAO have allowed this for a while now, however they have required that only ONE of the two pilots can be over 60. So, for an over 60's captain, an under 60 F/O is required. There has been no age restriction on F/O's, only on captains.

The real risk is in say, for example, over 60's doing single pilot IFR RPT... the stresses are huge, and if they keel over... there is no-one else there and the pax are in serious trouble. Multi crew airline ops this isn't such an issue.

It has all come about from pressure from the airlines due to an impending shortage of qualified and experienced pilots. I guess it will stem the tide somewhat.

Comment

Originally posted by LRJet Guy
                  For those of us stuck at a crappy job, it sucks.
                  Yeah, gotta wait longer for the slots to open at the majors eh?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Crunk415balla
                    Yeah, gotta wait longer for the slots to open at the majors eh?
                    If I were going to stay in the airline business. I resigned this afternoon.
                    Bite me Airways.....

Comment

Does anyone know what the airlines have to say about this? It will certainly impact their bottom line having so many peoples on the payroll past 60 now.

Comment

The Airlines are the instigators.

They NEED it desperately just to keep operating.

The shortage is getting that bad!

Comment

Which for us aspiring airline pilots, ain't such a bad thing.
                          sigpic

Comment

You're still going to see hiring at the regional level for quite some time. Hiring at the legacy carriers will slow a bit. Upgrades will slow even more. LCCs will also be hiring fewer pilots.

You can get in at a regional, but good luck getting out. I got VERY lucky!
                            Bite me Airways.....

Comment

Eh, who knows what hiring will be like 10 years from now. Just 3 years ago everyone was all pessimistic saying pilot jobs weren't going to be around for several years. But things turned around fast.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X