PIT to AMS NWA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PIT to AMS NWA

How likely is a NWA Pittsburgh to Amsterdam flight for summer 08?

I'd consider it very unlikely, if there was Business for one, I would think someone would come in and do it.
    John Poshepny

If the Wright brother were alive today Wilbur would have to fire Orville to reduce costs. Herb Kelleher, Southwest Airlines, 'USA Today,' 1994

Comment

Not happening.
      Trump is an idiot!
      Vote Democrats!!

Comment

I don't see what would lead anyone to think NW had international plans at PIT...
        sigpic
        http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Originally posted by Crunk415balla
          I don't see what would lead anyone to think NW had international plans at PIT...
          Well BDL-AMS is quite a surprise for NW and other I would think.

But then again on the intl side NWA seems to be O and D or non hub flights such as SEA, SFO, LAX, JFK, BDL I believe are non NW hubs that have intl flights?

With those cities you see NRT, AMS, LHR/LGW.

So to me fi I heard NWA were to start PIT-AMS with a 757 it wouldn't surprise me due to what BDL-AMS did.

Granted, BDL has a higher business workplace, PIT I don't know their economic state though.

Alex
          Stop Searching. Start Traveling. southwest.com

Comment

Maybe a codeshare with KLM?

And if there was a market, why wouldn't US have already sprung upon it and maximized their potential for the route?
            Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

If NW wanted to start PIT-AMS in 2008, they would already announced it. New transatlantic routes are usually being announced aroun September/October for launch in April-July, so as to maximise time for selling tickets in advance.

Originally posted by AA 1818
              And if there was a market, why wouldn't US have already sprung upon it and maximized their potential for the route?
              Because US never really realised the potential of PIT and rather chose to concentrate all their business at CLT and that clusterfvck that we call PHL.

I doubt NW would want to launch PIT-AMS, even with just a 757. Having said that, from what I have read, PIT's airport authority is offering quite some incentives to attract new international routes. Whether those incentives are actually enough to get airlines to start longhaul PIT flights remains to be seen. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

Comment

Say what you want about USAirways' decisions at PIT, but the fact is that the Pittsburgh economy has been suppressed for years, and the writing was on the wall for the PIT hub for quite awhile. The O&D numbers out of that airport have fallen significantly since the airport's heyday in the 90's, and haven't been sufficient to support a hub of any size for quite some time.

US' other two east coast hubs are much more feasible. PHL doesn't need anything said about it; it's a central business hub, and one of the largest cities on the east coast. CLT is located in the heart of a fast growing, white collar region, and it's perfectly located to serve as an east coast, Caribbean, and secondary trans Atlantic hub.

I spent a week of every summer when I was younger watching planes land at PIT during our family reunions there (we stayed on business 60 in a hotel right under the 28R approach). Am I sad that PIT is a shell of its former self? Absolutely. Did dumping it make good business sense for US Airways? You bet!
                Trump is an idiot!
                Vote Democrats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Crunk415balla
                  http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07235/811430-28.stm

http://pittsburgh.bizjournals.com/pi...ml?jst=b_ln_hl

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_542731.html

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Kilroy
                    Am I sad that PIT is a shell of its former self? Absolutely. Did dumping it make good business sense for US Airways? You bet!
                    Terribly sad, but true.
                    Originally posted by raykeli
                    How likely is a NWA Pittsburgh to Amsterdam flight for summer 08?
                    Start walkin'. You'll get there before NW has PIT-AMS service.

Comment

Originally posted by Star Alliance
                      Start walkin'. You'll get there before NW has PIT-AMS service.
                      Can't walk on water mate.

How many daily flights from AMS to PIT are there? If there isn't a large need for transportation btwn the two cities then it won't happen. Why do you want to know anyways?

-Chris

Comment

Originally posted by z740
                        He'll be able to before NW starts PIT-AMS service.
                        How many daily flights from AMS to PIT are there?
                        Approxamately...zero.

Comment

Originally posted by z740

How many daily flights from AMS to PIT are there? If there isn't a large need for transportation btwn the two cities then it won't happen. Why do you want to know anyways?

-Chris
                          I live in Pittsburgh, and would love the possibility
                          The people at airliners.net are WAY more optimistic

Comment

Originally posted by raykeli
                            I live in Pittsburgh, and would love the possibility
                            The people at airliners.net are WAY more optimistic
                            Optimistic? Maybe. Foolish...?
                            If it does happen, mind you, I'll eat my sour crow in all of it's b/s-ish glory.
                            I'll happily eat it on the back of my flying pig, with President Nader joyously on board.

Comment

Originally posted by Star Alliance
                              Optimistic? Maybe. Foolish...?
                              I'm not as optimistic as them, but I've got my fingers crossed

Comment

Working...
                              X