Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Second Sydney airport back on the agenda?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second Sydney airport back on the agenda?

Seems that there's talk about a second Sydney airport again.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/news/a-se...135622500.html

As in the above report, an airport built in an artificial island is suggested. I can only imagine how expensive this would be. Would Badgeryes Creek still be a contender, or would other locations be more likely?

I wonder if something will actually happen, this time.

Government change so it will all be dredged up again.

Comment

I live in Sydney and i would love to have an airport that is an artificial island!

Although there wouldn't be many good spotting locations unless you have a boat.

Regards,

GJ
      "A pilot lives in a world of perfection or does not live at all."

Comment

Originally posted by badboys777
        I live in Sydney and i would love to have an airport that is an artificial island!

Although there wouldn't be many good spotting locations unless you have a boat.

Regards,

GJ
        Depends on how far off the coast it is, there might be even more spotting locations! Though, I was thinking, last night, that an artificial island might not be viable. HKG and KIX are built in sheltered waters. I can't think of any protected waters large enough, around Sydney, for an international airport.

Comment

They could fill in the rest of botany bay to expand *grin*

Or, of course, they could just tell the noise lobbyists to shove off and operate the airport logically!

Comment

Originally posted by callufrax
            Depends on how far off the coast it is, there might be even more spotting locations! Though, I was thinking, last night, that an artificial island might not be viable. HKG and KIX are built in sheltered waters. I can't think of any protected waters large enough, around Sydney, for an international airport.
            I agree with you callufrax because off the coast of Sydney is the Pacific ocean and you can get some pretty big waves out there. And yes, there aren't many big areas of sheltered water around Sydney. It would be good for Melbourne (Port Phillip Bay) though but not for Sydney.

Regards,

GJ

Comment

Originally posted by MCM
              They could fill in the rest of botany bay to expand *grin*
              I doubt whether that'd make the shipping and oil companies happy!

Comment

Originally posted by badboys777
                I agree with you callufrax because off the coast of Sydney is the Pacific ocean and you can get some pretty big waves out there. And yes, there aren't many big areas of sheltered water around Sydney. It would be good for Melbourne (Port Phillip Bay) though but not for Sydney.

Regards,

GJ
                To be honest, it doesn't leave too many places to build one. Not in the Sydney basin area, anyhow.

Comment

Originally posted by callufrax
                  I doubt whether that'd make the shipping and oil companies happy!
                  I'm sure the oil companies would be jumping with joy! As well as the Sydney Ports Authority!

Comment

Working...
                  X