Collecting safety cards.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collecting safety cards.....

I just got an email from someone who collects airline safety cards asking me to take one from any future flights I make and send it on to them.

I really think that something needs to be made very clear here.

Taking these cards from an aircraft constitutes the criminal offence of theft. The cards are the property of the airline and are required to be available to all passengers using the aircraft on the basis of safety requirements. I made some enquiries with some legal eagle friends who tell me that removing one from an aircraft could also technically be the basis for a criminal charge of endangering the safety of an aircraft and its occupants. That is a big time offence and could attract a very long prison sentence depending on the country of origin of the airline.

Please think of the potential implications to you and other passengers before considering stealing one of these cards.
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Great reminder for those "hobbyists" out there who call stealing "collecting."
    Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

I got the same thing. It was from the OP in a thread about upcoming flights (not the ongoing one in the Flight Review forum).

Comment

i got the same e-mail this morning. Pretty much told them that i refused to take the cards.

If people are so interested in collecting the cards perhaps the airlines can sell them to the collectors online???
        Robin Guess Aviation Historian, Photographer, Web Designer.

http://www.Jet-Fighters.Net
        http://www.Jet-Liners.Net

Comment

I do collect, and when I'm flying, I find that if I just ask the F/A they'll give me one. Not only is this legal, it also works out better for me because it sparks conversation and the card is in good condition.

Comment

I do collect, and when I'm flying, I find that if I just ask the F/A they'll give me one. Not only is this legal, it also works out better for me because it sparks conversation and the card is in good condition.
            Absolutely no problem at all with that approach. Ask and thou might or might not receive....but ask....don't just take.
            If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by Star Alliance
              same here, all the cards in my collection have been obtained by either asking the F/A or e-mailing the airline with a request (surprisingly the latter approach tents to yield more cards)

Comment

Keep in mind that cards are supposed to be restocked every flight, they typically have a full box up front of them. Plus no airline is going to sue you for taking the cards.

Comment

I have quiet a few friends working as FA and as I collect safety cards I asked them what they think about the people stealing safety cards. It's funny because they say it's the most stolen items on planes because a lot of people just like to have it as a souvenir and they are not collectors at all. they also said there's NO danger about security or anything as all planes have a lot of extra safety cards as they have to be restocked at the end of the flight. And no they will never sue you for doing it. If they see you they'll just ask you to give them back.
                  BUT...
                  Originally posted by Star Alliance
                  This is by far the best way to do it. Very very rarely they refuse to give you the card and very often they'll even give you 2-3 of them.
                  A few exemples
                  - I got 7 (!!!) Lloyd Aéreo Boliviano (LAB) 727 cards
                  - I got 4 Aeroflot Il-86 cards
                  - I got 5 IB 742 cards (only to forget them 10min later in the aeroport restrooms...)
                  And that only by asking with a smile...
                  As a last note what airline REALLY don't like is the people who are stealing life vests... and there's a lot of people doing it too... And I really doubt they are collectors...
                  Cheers
                  Alex

Comment

Cards are not supposed to be restocked after every flight... they're not supposed to go anywhere!

Comment

I know that here at BNA we do haver a small supply for our everyday aircraft, but keep in mind that if there is indeed a card missing without a replacement in stock that aircraft is technically not airworthy...... I know that if you are just very nice that most folks would be glad to track you a couple down.....
                      O'Hare - The Aviation God's greatest creation, or their greatest mistake? you be the judge!

Comment

I have one from Virgin Blue and the Menu as well, and I want more, should i email the airlines? or just take it like i did last time.

And is it possible they track you down if it's missing from your seat at the end of the flight? and would security take it off you if they found u with it?

thnx
                        There's nothing like an airport for bringing you down to earth. — Richard Gordon

Comment

Originally posted by QFCPT747
                          And is it possible they track you down if it's missing from your seat at the end of the flight? and would security take it off you if they found u with it?

thnx
                          For 3 tenths of a cent worth of paper and ink, it's not nearly worth the hassel for them to go to such lengths. Not that I'm advocating the pilfering of them, just saying that it would be like looking for an hour for a nickel that fell out of your pocket.

Comment

We carry 4 extra on the -100, and 6 extra on the -300 minimum. Every RON station has a supply as well.

Most FAs also check to see that each seat has one while they're crossing seatbelts and picking up trash.

Ask, and you shall receive.
                            Bite me Airways.....

Comment

BTW, check out this site for safety cards: http://safety.mania.ru/airlines.htm

Comment

Working...
                              X