United and China

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• United and China

I was watching CNN recently and they said that United Airlines 67% of their aircraft are going to have their maintinance checks done over in China. I dont think this is a good idea since only supervisors have to be FAA certified not the actual machanics, and to top that off they dont do background checks on their workers.

First why is United doing this?

Does this mean that UA is gonna cut jobs here in the states?

And what do you have to say to this?
    BH Airlines A319

It's the same reason everyone is doing everything over there. It's cheaper!

Good for them, they're saving money.
    Tanner Johnson - Owner
    twenty53 Photography

Comment

Never have and never will agree with it, but you will never convince the CEOs or shareholders.
      Workers need to earn a wage that at least allows them to keep pace with the cost of living.
      However they are regularly told to take a pay cut or we will do it overseas because it can be done cheaper.
      Pretty obvious that a business needs to make a profit…but modern times means at any cost.
      My contribution to JetPhotos

Comment

While i am no fan of stuff made in China. the basic fact is that on the long haul flights from the US and Aisa regular maint. checks have to made over there.

The problem is that at a lot of the Japaniese airports they are already overcrowded with planes. Other countries in the region dont even have the facilities to perform the checks. The way i look at it is United has found a service facility that can not only perform the basic checks, but can do small repairs and clean the interiors of the A/C while not having to pay the huge parking fees at some of the regions airports.

They can land, get the passengers, luggage and cargo off the plane. Take off again ferry to China, Get the work done, Return to the departure airport.

The fact of the matter is No airline does 100% of there own maint. on there A/C. Most of it is done by private contractors or other airlines. I have seen Northwest A/C sitting at the Maint. hanger for America West in KPHX a few years back. United replaced a cowl on an America West A319 at KIAD that i was flying on a couple years ago. American Airlines is doing a large amount of winglet installations for other airlines 757's.

As long as the work is inspected by FAA certified people and meets United requirements everything will be OK. sure cost play heavy into this but it also allows United to be able to keep better tabs on the work being performed instead of having to figure out what company touched the plane and did not do the job correctly. In other words less hands in the cookie jar.
        Robin Guess Aviation Historian, Photographer, Web Designer.

http://www.Jet-Fighters.Net
        http://www.Jet-Liners.Net

Comment

But dosent AA do all of its maintinance? From what i understand AA has the largest maintinnce facility in the world, and i know that they do maitinance checks for other Airlines.
          BH Airlines A319

Comment

Originally posted by Asmir Hamidovic
            But dosent AA do all of its maintinance? From what i understand AA has the largest maintinnce facility in the world, and i know that they do maitinance checks for other Airlines.
            AA does perform a lot of there own maint. but they cannot do it all. For example if they have a problem with one of there aircraft say at SXM or CLT they have to rely on another Airline or the Maint. Service at that Airport to get the plane back into the air.

AA has a massive Maint. Facility in Tulsa, OK as well as KLAX, KSFO, KORD and i am sure there are a couple more. When they are overseas they have to rely on other companies just like all the other airlines. No airline can afford to have an company A/P Technician at every airport they serve 24 hours a day 7 days a week. if they did they would all be broke paying for a Technician to sit around waiting for a plane to break.
            Robin Guess Aviation Historian, Photographer, Web Designer.

http://www.Jet-Fighters.Net
            http://www.Jet-Liners.Net

Comment

Originally posted by Tanner_J
              It's the same reason everyone is doing everything over there. It's cheaper!

Good for them, they're saving money.
              well perhaps UA mechanics in the states can pull their fingers out and get some of the 744's they've been sending down to Oz in better shape? 5 fuck ups and cancellations in 4 weeks, hardly a glowing endorsement for either tech group.

next trips
              USA/DXB August.

Comment

Ohh i see JF.

Question, for example. Delta jet is in Germany and it has a problom that needs maintinance work can they do that in a Lufthansa hanger even though Delta is a Sky Team member and not a Star Alliance?
                BH Airlines A319

Comment

Originally posted by Asmir Hamidovic
                  Question, for example. Delta jet is in Germany and it has a problom that needs maintinance work can they do that in a Lufthansa hanger even though Delta is a Sky Team member and not a Star Alliance?
                  Very unlikely, I'd say. Dependant upon the magnitude of the problem, they could ferry the part(s) on another plane headed to the same destination and fix it, at least temporarily, until it could get stateside to get the problem addressed in full.

Comment

Originally posted by Longreach747
                    well perhaps UA mechanics in the states can pull their fingers out and get some of the 744's they've been sending down to Oz in better shape? 5 fuck ups and cancellations in 4 weeks, hardly a glowing endorsement for either tech group.
                    Ok?
                    Tanner Johnson - Owner
                    twenty53 Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Star Alliance
                      Very unlikely, I'd say. Dependant upon the magnitude of the problem, they could ferry the part(s) on another plane headed to the same destination and fix it, at least temporarily, until it could get stateside to get the problem addressed in full.
                      That's exactly what I thought. Then again the company's MX team has to do a cost/benefit analysis - is it cheaper to keep the aircraft there, have it fixed there and then return the airliner to service? Or carry a part, then replace it and ferry the aircraft home.

From my own experience - I was flying on POS-MIA flight leg, and the 757 (AA 1818 - the morning flight) had an issue. She simply would not make the leg to MIA, so they had a dilemma. There was an evening departure to MIA (on a 767-300), and so they did what they could to re-book as many as possible to the evening departure. Then at the station, the on-base mechanic stated that he needed a certain part. Luckly dispatch found a 757 in SJU that they ferried to POS. We then boarded the recently- arrived aircraft and headed to MIA. The other aircraft came with an auxillary crew and a the part, was fixed and flew to SJU a few hours later. It was quite fun to see. Many complaining passengers but the crew did all that they could to pacify us.

Although I am not sure for all airlines, but AA normally had their own mechanic - that is on call 24/7 on staff at most stations. I know that at POS we had this guy that was GREAT! He had other responsabilities as well though (like mainitaining the warehouse parts - that every station has {extra tires, extra parts and the like...}) but then again, I can only assume that when 9/11 hit that all that might have gone away.
                      Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Working...
                      X