Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound insulation cut on the Boeing 787, 747-8 and the Airbus A350

Hi,

For years, eversince the first Boeing 777-200 aircraft came out we have been hearing about newer "quieter" aircraft and the Boeing 777 did deliver as it was way quieter than the old Airbus A340-200/300, however, Airbus answered back with the quieter Airbus A340-500/600 series. I know that today's aircraft are scignificantly quieter than aircraft of 20 years ago. However, there has been a lot of speculation that both Boeing and Airbus might leave out a lot of sound insulation because of the quieter GEnx and Rolls Royce engines, which would essentially reduce the benefit of the quieter engines. However, both Boeing and Airbus claim that less sound insulation will reduce aircraft weight and increase both fuel efficiency and range.

I know that these planes, the Boeing 747-8, 787, and Airbus A350, have many noise reducing features like the swoping wings, the chevrons on the Boeing engines, better acustic liners on the front of the engines, etc. Nevertheless, with the reduced sound insulation on these aircraft I have doubts on whether they will be supper quiet or just a little bit quieter than today's aircraft.

What are your guys' thoughts?

Rohan

well, its all about weight savings these days, and cutting down on insulation shouldn't be a problem imo because its amazing how quiet the new engines are, when the a380 came to LA, 1st time, a UA 747 landed right before it, it was loud, then the a380 came by, it was nearly a swoosh, the RR trents are really quiet, it was even more quiet than the group of 737s that landed earlier, i think some members can back me up on this, this is why new engines have very huge bypass fans these days, to reduce noise, i think the 787 engines are larger than the 777s

yes i am a boeing fan, and i know thats a airbus, haha

Comment

Id rather hear jet noise and wind noise than chat noise and ass gas noise.

Comment

Originally posted by E-Diddy!

Good point. Personally, I don't care about engine noise on short to medium haul flights (2-6 hours), but on those long overnight 10 hour flights, such as, LAX-LHR or even DEN-LHR a quiet plane would be really nice because it allow you sleep better, instead, of staying awawe through the whole flight. That being said, the Boeing 777 is pretty quiet and if the Boeing 787 is even 15% quieter than the 777, I think I would pretty happy.

My main concern with the reduced insulation, is that Airbus and Boeing will become a little slap happy and bascially take out a lot. Basically I don't mind a soft hum or roar from the engines, but it would really suck if the engine noise in the cabin was a deep roar or a shrill hum.

Rohan

Comment

Sadly, even though I completely agree with you, the flying public is against us. For the most part, people want to have a 'quieter' aircraft - all the more quiet for them to use their cellphones, and for their crying babies to make all the more noise!
          Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

ture, true, but only if the others..., u know what, they should have variable noise planes, a few loud ones in the fleet, lol

yes i am a boeing fan, and i know thats a airbus, haha

Comment

Originally posted by AA 1818
              Sadly, even though I completely agree with you, the flying public is against us. For the most part, people want to have a 'quieter' aircraft - all the more quiet for them to use their cellphones, and for their crying babies to make all the more noise!
              I agree the flying public wants "quieter" aircraft so that they can make more noise on their cellphones or let their craying babies make all of the noise. However, quieter planes will help many passengers sleep better and allow them to listen to music or their PTV in peace. Also, it would be nice if on a Boeing 747-8 your flight attendant could actually your drink order, unlike on the Boeing 747-400 or the Airbus A340-300. I've had no problems with the noise level on the Boeing 777 or the Airbus A340-500/600. I would like some background engine noise to filter out these "undesireable" sounds, but "quieter" planes have some nice advantages.

Rohan

Comment

Working...
              X