X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTF. More TSA Horse Manure

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h...KRTuAD8TQK0CO0
    http://safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html

I usually take my primary photo stuff with me, but might throw stuff I don't really care about (ie spare batteries) in carry on. The AP thing says no rechargeable batteries only, but the thing from the TSA sites doesn't make a distinction.

I can see this is going to go over really well when people start having their batteries taken out of their checked luggage without knowing why. I don't know how much lithium most of the batteries people on here use have in them, but be warned I guess

Great!! I was looking into getting a 350D which uses lithium batteries. How many pics can you get out of two lithium batteries?

-Chris

Comment

Odd, as no lithium batteries in checked in baggage has been a requirement for YEARS in Australia. Its a Dangerous Goods issue.

You've always been able to take it in your carry on bags, but not in the checked in.

I'm very surprised this is a new rule for the US!

Comment

Originally posted by z740
        Great!! I was looking into getting a 350D which uses lithium batteries. How many pics can you get out of two lithium batteries?

-Chris
        two batteries is sufficent for a couple hundred photos.. I went to Vegas with 2 batteries and I took photos on the 2 hour flight there, photos of the city for 4 days and photos on the 2 hour flight back all on one battery.

When I read the title I thought this was going to be some more of the jackass stuff that the TSA comes up with..

Comment

Guys this isn't a TSA move, its the DOT. The TSA hasn't been officially asked to enforce it as of yet but more then likely will soon enough.

Comment

I just don't really understand the problem with the batteries. It's not like lithium batteries have been going up in flames all over the place. And if it's in a carry on it could still catch fire if there is any risk.

Also, since I just happened upon this article randomly since it had been posted on slashdot.org, chances are what's going to happen is people are going to check their baggage with whatever batteries they might have put in there in the past, and then arrive at their destination without the batteries wondering why. The reason why I see this is as a jackass move is because from the looks of it it's being implemented randomly without much of a plan to inform people.

Comment

Originally posted by MCM
              Odd, as no lithium batteries in checked in baggage has been a requirement for YEARS in Australia. Its a Dangerous Goods issue.

You've always been able to take it in your carry on bags, but not in the checked in.

I'm very surprised this is a new rule for the US!
              first I've ever heard about it...

next trips
              USA/DXB August.

Comment

The problem is that if they do catch fire, aircraft cargo fire extinguishers in the hold cannot put out the fire due to something with the Lithium or something.

Just carry them on with you...If you pack photo stuff you're stupid anyways with all the theft that happens. Just keep them in your photo bag.
                Tanner Johnson - Owner
                twenty53 Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Tanner_J
                  Just carry them on with you...If you pack photo stuff you're stupid anyways with all the theft that happens. Just keep them in your photo bag.
                  Agreed. Anything valuable, such as photography gear and laptops, I never trust to checked baggage. I always take it in the cabin with me. I'm not willing to risk thousands of $'s, £'s, whatever.

Comment

Tanner is right. NEVER check your valuables. If only pax knew of all the would be theifs that are caught in the bagroom each WEEK here at SFO, they'd never pack luggage again! And we don't always catch em either. Many pax arrive missing ipods, laptops, ect.

One thing that puzzles me. WHY ON EARTH are aviation photographers complaining that they must take their cameras on board the aircraft.

My camera bag has been my carry-on on every flight I've ever taken since I was 10.
                    sigpic
                    http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

I do it all the time and never had a problem. They always ask me if my camera is a video camera and I had them ask if my scanner transmitted before.

Other than that, they pretty much suck balls. I heard recently that the TSA is past the IRS for the most hated government agency with the Department of Homeland Security close behind.....why am I not surprised...

Comment

Longreach 747...

I was partially incorrect... it isn't just an Australian requirement. It is an IATA requirement (And as such most airlines adopt the IATA requirements with certain exceptions)

I suggest you then read the "Dangerous Goods" declaration that you delcare that you've read before you get onboard the aircraft in Australia, as it is quite a serious matter.

There is a copy of it on the Qantas website.

http://www.qantas.com.au/info/flying...dangerousGoods
                        or from IATA

http://www.iata.org/nr/rdonlyres/790...glish_2008.pdf

Putting Lithium batteries (not actually in the device) in checked baggage is against the DG regulations.

If you want to take them on as carry on, then they must be insulated to prevent short circuit.

Currently, you can take 2 of them, unless their lithium content is under 8g, in which case you can take as many as you want. They still have to be carry on, and insulated.

Those of you getting upset with the TSA for being the enforcers of a DOT requirement... consider that the USA has been far behind the rest of the world in adopting this safety requirement!

Comment

Originally posted by Crunk415balla
                          One thing that puzzles me. WHY ON EARTH are aviation photographers complaining that they must take their cameras on board the aircraft.
                          Because they just like to bitch about the TSA. The professionals I know that travel thousands of miles every week for assignments don't even care.
                          Tanner Johnson - Owner
                          twenty53 Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Crunk415balla
                            No complaining about having to take my photo gear on board with me. My main concern is how the TSA will handle the rule. For example i like to carry 1 spare battery for each camera body along with 1 laptop battery. Since i carry 3 bodies each using a different battery pack that makes a total of 4 spare batteries can i have 2 in my clothes bag and 2 in my camera backpack???

I guess i will have to take atrip over to the airport tomorrow and talk with the Head TSA officer for a clarification.
                            Robin Guess Aviation Historian, Photographer, Web Designer.

http://www.Jet-Fighters.Net
                            http://www.Jet-Liners.Net

Comment

Folks,
                              We can't blame the TSA on this one, eventhough I am not the biggest TSA fan, in this one case I will defend them, they are just enforcing it.
                              John Poshepny

If the Wright brother were alive today Wilbur would have to fire Orville to reduce costs.— Herb Kelleher, Southwest Airlines, 'USA Today,' 1994

Comment

Working...
                              X