Branson Message to FA's - Priceless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Branson Message to FA's - Priceless

Planned flight attendant strikes at Virgin Atlantic Airways (ATWOnline, Dec. 21, 2007), however, appear imminent as management and Unite-represented cabin staff apparently are not talking. The two 48-hr. strikes, which would be the first in the airline's history, are planned for Jan. 9-10 and Jan. 16-17. The union claimed that the pay received by VS cabin crew lags behind other carriers flying similar routes. The strike vote followed seven months of negotiations and a November rejection of the carrier's final offer.

In a widely reported letter to all of VS's approximately 4,700 cabin crew, Chairman Richard Branson wrote: "For some of you more pay than Virgin Atlantic can afford may be critical to your lifestyle, and if that is the case you should consider working elsewhere."
    Nicely done, Sir!
    Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Originally posted by FlyingPhotog
    well its ok for him sitting on his island home in the Caribbean whilst pocketing billions each year...

next trips
    USA/DXB August.

Comment

I don't necessarily know that he is wrong in saying that b/c to demand that they recieve the same pay as BA is a bit outrageous. I am not saying that thye do not work dilligently, and maybe just as hard (or sometimes even moreso than those at BA) but he does have a point - (he has said this in other articles) that BA has benefitted from being a flag-carrier for quite some time, a privilage that VS has not had. Either way, this is not going to go over well at all. The staff is going to be suffering from low-morale and eager to strike. He should have said it better. A certain level of finess was necessary here, but then again, subtlety has never been his strong-suit, somehting that has made him what he is today (for better and for worse).

I am kinda curious to know - do you guys think that they should match the salaries of BA's crews?
      Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Longreach747
        well its ok for him sitting on his island home in the Caribbean whilst pocketing billions each year...
        Regardless of Branson's wealth, he earned that money by being a brilliant businessman.

I have always believed that of you don't like you job or how you're being treated in that job, you should find another one. You can't just sit around hoping someone else will make your situation better.

Comment

^That's exactly what I would tell my employees. If you like your job and desire it, but the wages are just not what the FA has expected for the same hard labor on the same route, you can either stay, let the Union fight for you, but in this case, you're in the wrong side, this is a competition business. Hit the road, Jack !
          Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Its disapointing to see so many guys being so eager to sell someone in their industry up the river.

Big Business these days is just after making more and more money... why isn't it reasonable that the Cabin Crew are rewarded adequately for their contribution to those company profits?

CPI ensures that the cost of living goes up each year... it is perfectly reasonable that 1) The flight attendants get a wage increase to ensure they dont' lose out, and 2) They should be rewarded for their contribution to the company brand.

How often does Branson trade on the image of their flight attendants? They are a MAJOR reason people choose to fly with them, and so they should be rewarded approprately.

And I'm sorry, but I really don't see the relevance of what BA USED to be. Virgin came into the market knowing that. And they're doing fine now.

Comment

I for one am on the side of the F/As. They are a huge part of the team, and accordingly their voices should be taken seriously. Brason's message was far from correct in a way to address those who have given his empire so much.
              sigpic
              http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Originally posted by MCM
                Its disapointing to see so many guys being so eager to sell someone in their industry up the river.

Big Business these days is just after making more and more money... why isn't it reasonable that the Cabin Crew are rewarded adequately for their contribution to those company profits?

CPI ensures that the cost of living goes up each year... it is perfectly reasonable that 1) The flight attendants get a wage increase to ensure they dont' lose out, and 2) They should be rewarded for their contribution to the company brand.

How often does Branson trade on the image of their flight attendants? They are a MAJOR reason people choose to fly with them, and so they should be rewarded approprately.

And I'm sorry, but I really don't see the relevance of what BA USED to be. Virgin came into the market knowing that. And they're doing fine now.

take note of this reply people...

Regardless of Branson's wealth, he earned that money by being a brilliant businessman.
                by the sounds of it he also makes a good profit by paying his staff average wages that are probably not enough to survive on in this day & age.

I have always believed that of you don't like you job or how you're being treated in that job, you should find another one. You can't just sit around hoping someone else will make your situation better.
                funny thing is that Branson has no issue in exploiting his staff in the name of money, be it using them in bikini calendars or other. I'd say most of the staff enjoy their job and just want a fair salary for a days work.

next trips
                USA/DXB August.

Comment

Branson has never paid his crews worth a shit. The good thing is that they seem to be treated well.
                  Bite me Airways.....

Comment

Originally posted by LRJet Guy
                    Branson has never paid his crews worth a shit. The good thing is that they seem to be treated well.
                    And that thought seems to add to the perspectiveo f the economist here. Remember, for Branson, it has never been about an airline, it has always been about a business venture. He invested in an airline, and has operated within legal parameters since the airline's conception. From the point-of-view of the economist, look at this sittuation - (and remember, this is a free market, where the liberty to act {within the parameters of the law} are both guaranteed and valued) :

A flight attendant goes for an interview with VS, and is offered a job with a salary of X thousand dollars per year.

{At this point in time the possible employee has the freedom to search for another job - to shop around, if you will - and see what competitors are offering}.

He/She accepts the position.

{Thus, waiving their right to complain about a salary citing the fact that they have agreed to the terms set forth by the company when they originally signed for their employment. At the same time, they are not bound to the company - and are still free to search (albiet, in some cases - discreetly) for other jobs at competitiors}.

As time goes by he/she notices that his/her counterparts at another airline is receiving X+10 thousand dollars for a job that is similar (as no two jobs at different firms are identical).

{At this point in time they are still free (even more so - encouraged) to seek employment eslewhere. If they choose to stay, and remain employed, or rather - employed for the same rate of pay, to the same employer, for the same contractual obligations of preformance - their complaining is counter-intuitive! They are choosing not to enact their freedom to leave the company for other sources of employment}.

He/She reacts negitavely and decides to strike.

{They are well within their freedom to strike. The employer is also free to, and well within his right - to hold them liable for breech-of-contract and then seek damages (up-to and including termination of said employee) for non-compliance or non-preformance}.

The truth is simple - we are looking at this from a rather attatched view(us feeling personal attatchment to the people in this sittuation). We are not viewing this from the point of the economist, which is the point of view the decision maker, i.e. the point of power i.e. the only point of view that really matters at this point in time. We are looking at Branson as this big-bully that is cheating his employees out of money - but the truth is that if any of us were in his sittutation - or have been through the things that he has been through to build his empire - then there are very few that would react differently. Remember it is all about freedom, and the free market (in this case the Employment Market).

At this point of time - here are the options:

THE EMPLOYEES STAY: If they choose to stay (to stop the strike) and return to work - they elect to stay and fulfill their current contractual obligations (employment pay) being a part of that, for their current contractual obligations. They remain employed, but still retain their right to search for employment elsewhere. While returning to work, they are highly enouraged to seek out other forms of employment.

THE EMPLOYEES STRIKE: They put themselves in jeopardy because they are placing themselves at the risk of being held in breech-of-contractual obligations. Sir Richard Branson is freedom to pursue the employees for their breech of contract. Their failure to preform puts them at a precarious prediciment. His views are known, and he may very well preform them. The job market is not at a defecit - there are many others that may very well take up the lost jobs.

Economically speaking - the strike sends a deep message to all involved (including the flipside of the coin - business preformance). If all F/As are relieved of their positions - they are left jobless, but fully free to find employment elsewhere. At the same time, their leave sends a message to customers in that they (csr's) are sure to recieve lower preformance, newer crews that cannot (albeit temporarily) provide the level of service that the more-exprienced crews would have provided. Future employees may not be as willing to go to VS seeing the state of affairs as well, but that it negated by the fact that there are quite a many that are willing to work.That translates to lower sales, or in many cases a rather large issue with oppurtunity costs. A looming unprofitable sittuation of this cailber is what will truly motivate Branson to budge.

In the end - you have to ask yourself - are both parties preforming under the same contract? Have their been changes to the contract that either party was not freely able to agree to? Are they being paid that which they agreed to? Are they working within conditions that they agreed to? Is the company receiving the labour that it contracted for? It's a free market - both are free (legally and economically to enact their freedoms at their own will and discretion). Morality, political correctness and social niceties are what make the sittutation a bit more difficult to judge the sittutation. But remember, neither party is obligated to preform under the latter three characteristics - they may choose to do so, but are not obligated to do so.
                    Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Originally posted by LRJet Guy
                      Any word on how the flight crews are payed?

Comment

His quote is exactly right. If you're living a lifestyle you can't afford you either get a new job, or change your lifestyle.

It's the same in business everywhere. A rich man owns it, and pays his workers average salaries. What's the big deal with Branson? Why are we singling him out? It's the same at your job.
                        Tanner Johnson - Owner
                        twenty53 Photography

Comment

We really have to see what the salaries are in comparison to other airlines.
                          My Flickr Pictures! Click Me!

Comment

re: the exploitation comment... Those women aren't being forced to pose in in front of those cameras.

The fact is everyone accepts jobs with full knowledge of what the wages will be. I started at Southwest making under $20,000 a year - which is about HALF of what a new school teacher makes.

With the current state of the industry they (VS f/a's) must have a lot of nerve to play this game of "chicken".

Branson's comment struck me because it's exactly what I would expect to hear from Southwest.

Comment

From his comment you now know why we have Unions!

Comment

Working...
                              X