FAA: Terrorists Could Hack New Boeing Jetliner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FAA: Terrorists Could Hack New Boeing Jetliner

In-flight entertainment has come a long way since passengers craned their necks to catch a glimpse of the flickering films shown in 1980s aircraft.

Today's passengers expect on-demand video systems, telephones and even broadband Internet access.

Unfortunately, that's not all they can do. The technology used by the new generation of aircraft is now so advanced that aviation officials fear that terrorists could use it to fly the plane.

Aviation regulators have refused to certify Boeing's new 787 Dreamliner passenger jet until it redesigns its computer system to protect against such an event, The Times has learned.

The Federal Aviation Authority is concerned that terrorists could use the Dreamliner's in-flight Internet system to connect to "systems critical to the safety and maintenance of the aircraft."

In a report released last week, the FAA said that Boeing had left the pilots' computers open to attack by connecting the Dreamliner's entertainment system to the pilots' controls.

A hacker with a computer and some IT training potentially could hijack the system from his seat.

They need to figure this out ASAP. Hopefully they can sort this all out quicky and on March 31st (Tentativly) she will begin flying.
    John Poshepny

If the Wright brother were alive today Wilbur would have to fire Orville to reduce costs.— Herb Kelleher, Southwest Airlines, 'USA Today,' 1994

Comment

Don't worry, as long it is a Microsoft-based system, they only would generate errors like this: "General Protection Fault. Program "Highjack" will be terminated. Press ESC....."

get FRA spotting informations here:
      www.Frankfurt-Aviation-Friends.eu

Comment

A wiring issue? This sounds familiar...
        Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

I was just watching the local news and left wondering this, is it true that the whole thing can jeopardize the whole 787 program...
          Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Remember the media exaggerates things greatly. Whatever the issue is, the media usually gets it wrong, and likes to over simplify and exaggerate things to make a story. I'm sure the Boeing engineers will figure it out, so that connecting to the wifi/internet network wouldn't make it possible to connect to any other on board networks.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxPower
              I was just watching the local news and left wondering this, is it true that the whole thing can jeopardize the whole 787 program...
              All they would have to do is de-activate Wi-Fi use for passengers. Pilots could use the system as designed. Problem solved. Might not be an ideal solution but it could get the plane flying.

Boeing assures the wiring system is perfectly safe as designed, I am inclined to take their word for it.
              Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Yeah, I'd belive Boeing over the hyper sensitive media.
                sigpic
                http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Interesting seeing how the IFE systems don't hook up to the flight systems.

Comment

I am sure Boeing has this taken care of-I can't imagine they'd be heading into certification without doing so.

Comment

Working...
                    X