ATL-PVG To 77L Eff. 3/30/08, China CTOs Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATL-PVG To 77L Eff. 3/30/08, China CTOs Open

According to the latest reports, the inaugural Atlanta (ATL) to Shanghai-Pudong (PVG) flight will now operate using 77L equipment. If you're looking thru schedules to find the flight note that it is still showing as being operated by the ER. This report was included in the DeltaDaily newsletter on February 11, 2008:

Shanghai sales office open to support our new service

Our new sales office in Shanghai, China, is open for business, and general sales agents are busy selling our new nonstop flight between Atlanta and China’s primary business center. Following the GSA model we use in many overseas locations, the agency represents Delta with four offices in China. Besides Shanghai, we have GSA offices in Beijing, Guangzhou and Hong Kong.
    Our new service starts March 30, using the Boeing 777 Long Range aircraft.
    Personally, I think sending Delta's brand-new flagship on such an important inaugural service makes perfect sense. As to what this does to JFK-BOM schedules, it is still showing up in the system as the 77L. It is entirely possible that the second 77L (N702DN, to be delivered in mid-March) will operate the first PVG sector.

N702DN will be delivered on March 21, well in time for the PVG inaugural flight on the 30th. Since we'll essentially have "excess" 777 heavy lift, it isn't that far fetched to adjust ship numbers around quite easily - especially considering 7007's PSV-8 is near completion.

It's also interesting that we're opening up a city ticket office in Hong Kong - I think resumption of Delta service to HKG is definitely "on the table" and I personally hope we resume service there since it's one of my favorite cities in Asia.

In case anyone is interested, the 77L delivery schedule is as follows:

N701DN 7101 2/28/08
    N702DN 7102 3/21/08
    N703DN 7103 12/31/08
    N704DK 7104 1/31/09
    N705DN 7105 1/31/09
    N706DN 7106 1/31/09
    N707DN 7107 2/28/09
    N708DN 7108 3/31/09
    N709DN 7109 6/30/10*
    N710DN 7110 7/31/10*
    N711DY 7111 9/30/10*

*Denotes option.

Cheers,
    Chris in Atlanta
    "Delta Rising."

Definitely a good move to send the 77L to PVG for the initial flights, gotta impress the customers. Too bad the flight times don't match up too well, otherwise a BOM-JFK-ATL-PVG routing might an interesting idea once the 3rd 77L arrives.
    And come February next year, BOM-ATL-HKG .

Comment

Wow. I didn't realize that Delta was getting their first 2 77Ls so close in time to each other.

I wish I worked for Delta
      AVL to ATL and CVG on Delta

My virtual airline is located here.

Comment

Re:

Originally posted by DAL767-400ER
        Definitely a good move to send the 77L to PVG for the initial flights, gotta impress the customers. Too bad the flight times don't match up too well, otherwise a BOM-JFK-ATL-PVG routing might an interesting idea once the 3rd 77L arrives.
        And come February next year, BOM-ATL-HKG .
        How sure of a thing is ATL-BOM-ATL?

Comment

Wow, 3 77L's for delivery at the same time?

Comment

Originally posted by Foxtrot
            How sure of a thing is ATL-BOM-ATL?
            Not 100% sure, but it has very good chances. DL has always enjoyed good loads on their JFK-BOM flights, and even back when that flight stopped in FRA and later CDG, a lot of people were connecting to/from the ATL flights. Besides, consider that US-India flights are still essentially restricted to the Northeast US and soon California. The Southeast is completely neglected, so a nonstop flight to better connect places like ATL, MIA, IAH, DFW and the like to BOM should easily fill up, and at profitable yields as well. For comparison, look at TLV. Before DL's ATL flight, outside of EL AL's 2-3x weekly MIA flight, the flight situation was similar to India, and now that ATL-TLV flight is one of the most profitable routes in DL's network.

Comment

Re:

^That sounds interesting, I might just try that flight sometime if DL launches it. Then again, with 9W looking at IAH and/or DFW, I may have better options later on.

I agree with you about the loads between JFK and BOM via CDG when that flight was operated. But even now the flight's full most of the year anyway now that it's nonstop.

BOM-ATL-HKG and back sure sounds like a hefty run even for the Worldliner, but I guess that's just the kind of job the aircraft's meant to do.

Comment

Working...
              X