X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FAA downgrades Philippines to CAT2, no new service allowed

From Payload Asia Feb 2008 issue.

PAL to continue US flights despite downgrade

Philippine Airlines said it will continue to operate flights to the US despite a downgrading of the country to a Category 2 safety rating by the US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).

PAL said it will be restricted by FAA to the 33 weekly flights it currently operates to the US and will not be able to change aircraft types used on the routes, meaning that six 777-300ERs scheduled to begin delivering next year will not be able to be deployed as planned unless FAA upgrades the country's status.

PAL currently flies to Los Angeles, San Francisco, Las Vegas via Vancouver, Honolulu and Guam. It is the only Philippine carrier operating flights to the US. It said it could add service to those destinations only if it wet-leases aircraft from an airline operating in a Category 1 country.

It expressed concern that the downgrade will "gravely affect inbound and outbound tourism traffic, cargo traffic and investments inflow to the Philippines."

"We lament FAA's decision," PAL President Jaime Bautista said. "We hope the [Philippine ATC service] will soon be able to rectify the assessed deficiencies in its air safety oversight functions so the country can revert to Category 1.
    Next:
    None Planned

It said it could add service to those destinations only if it wet-leases aircraft from an airline operating in a Category 1 country.
    WTF?....That is lame.
    I cannot understand why it cannot proceed with their expansion plans.
    Lufthansa Technic Philippines is the maintenance unit that handles all PAL's aircrafts and are also recognized by international airlines. Jet Star, CX, CebPac, MYT airlines just to name a few that has recieved some service meintenance by LTP.

Just because the ATO is the one that has been downgraded to CAT2, not the PAL airline itself, so why can't it proceed then ?

I'm embaressed to read this about the Philippines. Nothing is running correctly over there.

Even the ATO is screwed up. Put* de mierda
    Last edited by MaxPower; 2008-02-20, 23:51.
    Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

I both understand the support the FAA's decision. I however, disagree with parts of it, one being that the due to the fact that PAL has plans to acquire new 777s - a stipulation should be made allowing them to operate said new aircraft (upon arrival) to operate the routes. I do, however, understand that the rules regulating CAT2 operations are meant to be universal, for the sake of simplicity and non-discrimination. I think that PAL would need to consider either/or deferring the 777 deliveries and/or forming/consulting a company in CAT 1 nation to purchase the 777s and subsequently lease them back to PAL. It sucks, but I do strongly believe the the health of Philippine aviation need to improove significantly. The FAA has both the right and jurisdiction to make such a distinction, and for the most part, has done so in the past concerning sittutations that they deem necessary. This is a severe move, but one that I believe is necessary.
      Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxPower
        I'm embaressed to read this about the Philippines. Nothing is running correctly over there.
        I agree. When your girlfriend points out her old house in upper-class Manila on the Asian News Network as a tank rolls past it, you know the shits hit the fan.
        sigpic
        http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Just because it is new equipment doesn't mean it is necessarily safer.

If an airline has been flying, for example, 747-300's for years, they know how to operate the aircraft.

A brand new 777 needs training, systems, new maintenance plans etc.

I'm sure that the FAA will allow them to fly the 777 to the US, but only after they've seen that they have the training and maintenance structures in place to support it.

Comment

Working...
          X