Continental Airlines Orders New 777s and 737s From Boeing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Continental Airlines Orders New 777s and 737s From Boeing

At Yahoo Finance, you get free stock quotes, up-to-date news, portfolio management resources, international market data, social interaction and mortgage rates that help you manage your financial life.

HOUSTON, Feb. 21 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Continental Airlines (NYSE: CAL - News) today announced that it has added 27 aircraft to its firm order positions at Boeing, including eight new 777 and 19 new Next-Generation 737 (737NG) aircraft.

The aircraft orders give Continental the flexibility to replace less efficient airplanes and to pursue growth opportunities.

This new order brings Continental's total firm commitments to 111 new Boeing aircraft (25 Boeing 787s, eight Boeing 777s and 78 Boeing 737s) for delivery over the next six years. In addition, Continental has options to purchase a total of 102 additional Boeing aircraft. Continental has taken delivery of five 737NG aircraft this year and plans to take delivery of 27 additional 737NG aircraft by the end of 2008.

777s for International Growth

Already operating 20 777 aircraft globally, Continental will use the eight additional aircraft announced today for long-haul international routes, such as the Newark Liberty-Shanghai route that is scheduled to start in 2009. The need for international widebodies is also driven by Continental's commencement of service to London Heathrow next month, which represents the company largest-ever expansion into a single airport in one day. Continental will begin service to Heathrow twice daily from Liberty and twice daily from Houston.

737NGs Provide Fleet Flexibility

One of the world's most popular and reliable aircraft, the Boeing 737NGs feature advanced technology for greater operational efficiencies. The 19 additional 737NGs, along with other 737NG aircraft already on order, will give Continental the flexibility to continue to grow while replacing less efficient 737 Classic aircraft, such as the company's 737-300 and 737-500 aircraft.
    Definitely good news, but somewhat annoying that no exact plane types are given.

Two of the 777s were booked as an UFO back on December 3, 2007 as -200ERs. The first is due for delievery in August 2009. The rest of the order apparently was booked yesterday -- most certainly not last year -- and should show up in next week's Boeing order update.

Comment

This new order brings Continental's total firm commitments to 111 new Boeing aircraft for delivery over the next six years.
      "That's all?"

Signed,
      Southwest
      Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Hate to break this to you FlyingPhotog, but it's a couple more than what Southwest has on order (105 as of the end of January, but WN has taken at least two planes so far this month.)

Comment

I'm crossing my fingers for a 77W or 77L order

Comment

Re:

I really don't see CO ordering 773s at this point. Maybe a possibility further down the road with increasing traffic on existing routes or for starting new service on denser sectors. I wouldn't be surprised though if some of these were 772LRs.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMightyM
              Hate to break this to you FlyingPhotog, but it's a couple more than what Southwest has on order (105 as of the end of January, but WN has taken at least two planes so far this month.)
              WN took delivery of the following planes this month (assuming the tail letters will be WN)

N907WN (Feb 4)
              N908WN (Feb 11)
              N909WN (Feb 20)
              N910WN (Feb 21)

N912WN (March 3)
              N913WN (March 5)
              N914WN (March 10)
              N915WN (March 17)

N916WN (April 4)
              N917WN (April 4)
              N918WN (April 11)

N913WN at Renton