A Non-Rev. Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Non-Rev. Question...

I know that it probably is determined by each airline, but let's say that I have a non-rev. ticket on a flight that has a connection, and I get checked in at the point of origin, am I guaranteed a seat all the way to the point of departure?

For example, if I am on a flight from POS-MIA-CDG and it's all under one flight number, am I guaranteed a seat on the connection through to CDG if I board at POS?

The reason being, I was watching "Airline" and they do have these flights that have 4 and 5 connections under one flight number. If you are a non-rev, and you check in at the point of origin, are you guaranteed a seat to your final destination or technically, must you go through the non-rev. process (of standing at the gate and waiting to get called) each time?
    Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

When you are traveling on a "Non-Rev" ticket, they can check you in for the first leg and check the availability of seats for your next and subsequent legs. If seats are available, one is assign to you. They are not guaranteed seats. This does place you at the head of the standby list for each flight "IF" the airline sells the seat previously assigned to you.

"Usually" if they assign a seat all the way through, you will not have a problem. Just be aware that you can be bumped for any reason.

Dress reasonably nice. All airlines have lowered the dress code and no longer require a coat and tie for men and Similar dress clothing for a woman, but dress in slacks, no shorts, a shirt with a collar, no TEE shirts.

If you are bumped, wait until all passengers have boarded or the agent invites you to approach the desk. Be on your best behavior, you are at their mercy! Let them work out your travel arrangements, you may make suggestions. DO NOT argue or make a scene. If an overnight stay is involved, inquire about any hotels they may be able to recommend.

When I was single I traveled up and down the West Coast and Alaska on standby all the time. I had an occasional hiccup in plans but nothing I couldn't live with. After marriage and kids it simply became too much trouble. Internet advance ticks aren't that bad and a couple nights in a hotel eats into the difference very quickly.
    Don
    Standard practice for managers around the world:
    Ready - Fire - Aim! DAMN! Missed again!

Comment

AA1818- YOU're reffering to SWA correct?

Southwest has a very different policy of flying non rev on them versus other airlines. When we non rev on a flight that has 1 or more stops (we say stops, not connections), you are still not confirmed. However, you do have higher prioirty at that intermediate stop.

The ONLY way a non rev is pulled off at a intermediate stop is for an oversold flight, or to get a dead heading crew on board the flight.

On connections, when you get off you go back on the stand by list, and you are NOT ahead of anyone else at the gate. However this is going to change soon.

Non revving on SWA is pretty cool, t shirts, jeans, are allowed, sandals, etc etc. Just have a clean attire on whatever you are wearing.

Alex
      Stop Searching. Start Traveling. southwest.com

Comment

Originally posted by AA 1818
        I know that it probably is determined by each airline, but let's say that I have a non-rev. ticket on a flight that has a connection, and I get checked in at the point of origin, am I guaranteed a seat all the way to the point of departure?
        NO

For example, if I am on a flight from POS-MIA-CDG and it's all under one flight number, am I guaranteed a seat on the connection through to CDG if I board at POS?
        NO

The reason being, I was watching "Airline" and they do have these flights that have 4 and 5 connections under one flight number. If you are a non-rev, and you check in at the point of origin, are you guaranteed a seat to your final destination or technically, must you go through the non-rev. process (of standing at the gate and waiting to get called) each time?
        YES However you won't see "connections" under the same flight number, at least not on Southwest. The plane might make several stops, but it's considered a "direct flight" if you stay on the plane. As a non-rev you risk getting "bumped" each time the plane lands.
        Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Thanks guys! I hve non-revved for decades (OH GREAT! I AM OLD!!!) with AA and with FL. Because of my exposure to the systems, I understand their systems a bit better, but as I said, I was watching Airline and was wondering how it worked with that many 'stops'. Anyway, thanks again guys. Oh, at FL, DL and AA the dress code is stricter - mostly Business Attire, but thats a passive rule sometimes.

Nishri.

Comment

Oh, at FL, DL and AA the dress code is stricter - mostly Business Attire, but thats a passive rule sometimes.

Nishri.
            DL's non-rev dress code has been relaxed (too much)...shirts, t-shirts and flip flops are acceptable now...even in first...

Comment

I think the important thing to remember about non-rev travel is that you're not guaranteed anything.

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaFlyer
                DL's non-rev dress code has been relaxed (too much)...shirts, t-shirts and flip flops are acceptable now...even in first...

Really? I wouldn't dare non-rev on another carrier without wearing a tie. Mainly because they don't have to board me if I'm not nicely dressed. And also because the chance of getting an upgrade might be a little higher.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingPhotog
                  Really? I wouldn't dare non-rev on another carrier without wearing a tie. Mainly because they don't have to board me if I'm not nicely dressed. And also because the chance of getting an upgrade might be a little higher.

it changed a few months ago...I cant bring myself to board in shorts, the most "relaxed" I can go is jeans, tennis shoes and a collared pullover shirt...

Comment

At AC you only get the seat on the 1st leg. Seats are given by seniority. At the connection station you are back to square 1 and available seats are distributed based on your seniority. There is no special treatment for those employees that are "in-transit".

Delta lets you wear jeans? Holy smokes!. No jeans, no running shoes, no open toe shoes for employees on AC services. Men requires dress pants and are allowed "golf style" shirts that must have a collar. Women can wear dessses or pants, no jean material. No bare stomachs, no mini skirts.

Comment

I am totally unaware of exactly what "non-revving" is? How does it work and what is it exactly? and why is there a dress code involved?

Comment

Originally posted by NickN
                        I am totally unaware of exactly what "non-revving" is? How does it work and what is it exactly? and why is there a dress code involved?
                        Typically it means non-revenue. You are not making the airline money when you fly as a non rev/revenue passenger.

You can fly as a non rev usually as an airline employee or on a airline employee's buddy pass.

Non rev also is usually free, sometimes taxed, and you never have a confirmed seat until they finished the revenue passengers.

Back then, and even now some airlines had you dress up for it, to show a proffessional image for the airline.

Alex
                        Stop Searching. Start Traveling. southwest.com

Comment

Originally posted by NickN
                          Too expand a bit on Alex's post.

A Non-Rev PAX is usually an airline employee or the employee of another airline with an "Interline" agreement (meaning the airlines extend Non-Rev (NR) transport to each other).

Non-Rev transportation can be taxable under IRS rules but because the worth of the service is difficult to calculate, they usually don't bother.

Because NR PAX are listed as "Stand-By" in the reservation system, all seating is assigned at the gate after all ticketed PAX are accommodated.

To avoid PR problems, NR's are requested to maintain a "LOW" profile when conducting business with the gate agent and to present a favorable appearance (dress code). The problem was the dress standard for the NR's began to call attention to a group of PAX dressed in coat's and ties that were being assigned last minute seating while people dressed in shorts and flip flops were being seated normally.

Airline employees have enjoyed NR benefits (sometimes called "Jump Seating") for many years. The "Jump Seats" (typically 1 or 2) are located in the cockpit. After 9-11, only airline pilots or FAA check airmen are allowed to occupy these seats. All other employees are seated in the cabin. With the high load factors most airlines are currently experiencing, NR travel has become a problem for employees traveling with a schedule.

Airlines also offer discounted travel which is a reserved seat or has priority on the standby list. However the reserved discount ticket is offered at 50% of the full fare ticket and today, discounted seats are available on the Internet for prices <* the discounted price. Before the Internet came into use the discount system worked very well for a family on vacation. Today, I use the Internet and / or mileage to purchase tickets when traveling with the family.

*< = Less Than
                          Last edited by Dmmoore; 2008-03-17, 17:17.
                          Don
                          Standard practice for managers around the world:
                          Ready - Fire - Aim! DAMN! Missed again!

Comment

Originally posted by Dmmoore
                            The "Jump Seats" (typically 1 or 2) are located in the cockpit. After 9-11, only airline pilots pr FAA check airmen are allowed to occupy these seats.
                            My Dad got to do it all the time when he was with WN, pre 9/11. I wish it were still the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Dmmoore
                              With the high load factors most airlines are currently experiencing, NR travel has become a problem for employees traveling with a schedule.
                              Yes, these days, it is becomg quite inconvenient to travel on Stand-by or Non-Rev passes. I know that it is almost impossible on certain routes, and it is there that you see these very weird routes developing as mainstays with Non-revs. For example, while the non-stop flights from MIA-POS are soo very convenient, the other day, I looked at the loads and the chances of me getting onto a flight with anything less than a A9 pass was so very slim that I had to do MIA-SJU-POS which was trip from hell. Don't get me wrong, the trip was ok, but I will seriously avoid flying Internationally into SJU ever again.

Anyway, can someone explain what an ID-95 is? I have heard the time used, and have probably used tickets that were of that type before, but do not understand what they are or how they are used.

Comment

Working...
                              X