Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airline sponsorship to learn how to fly

Hey guys,
    My physics teacher (down under in victoria, australia) told me that he saw an advertisement in The Age (local newspaper), saying that there are airlines willing to sponsor people to learn how to fly and then be contracted to them for a period of time. This sounds good as i dont have 80K hanging around to pay for 3 years of Uni.

Anyone have information on this topic? thanx
    There's nothing like an airport for bringing you down to earth. — Richard Gordon

I doubt it, there is no shortage of pilots. The airlines have their pick right now and there really is no reason for them to pay for training when there are so many pilots that already certified that are willing to work for peanuts just to get hours logged.
    Signatures are overrated

Comment

Originally posted by Airfoilsguy
      I doubt it, there is no shortage of pilots. The airlines have their pick right now and there really is no reason for them to pay for training when there are so many pilots that already certified that are willing to work for peanuts just to get hours logged.
      Are you talking about in Australia or the U.S.? I'm sure plenty would beg to differ on that in the U.S...

Comment

There is a HUGE shortage of qualified pilots at the moment, especially in Australia.

REX, Virgin and Qantaslink have been cancelling flights due lack of pilots, and they are struggling to find suitable applicants.

Rex is now running a cadet program where they do some form of bond/interest free loan arrangement, so look at their website if you are interested.

I believe the Qantas program now is involved with the uni's, and is now part of the FEE-HELP program (or whatever it is now called.. the old HECS)

Just seach the airlines websites... plenty of info there.

Comment

Wow, that news to me. Everything I have seen on other forums is that entry level pilots in the U.S. are getting paid minimum wage and are treated like crap.
          Signatures are overrated

Comment

Originally posted by Airfoilsguy
            Wow, that news to me. Everything I have seen on other forums is that entry level pilots in the U.S. are getting paid minimum wage and are treated like crap.
            Well... there's still a pilot shortage despite that.

Comment

In Germany, too, pilots are in high demand. The German Airforce is lacking 20-30% of required crews because recently a large group of pilots quit service to accept better paid jobs in civil aviation which were offered to them (http://rhein-zeitung.de/on/08/03/09/...zo408212.html). And according to an article in the German aviation magazine Aero International, due to the booming industry, there are 17.000 new pilots required globally each year atm (http://www.spiegel.de/reise/aktuell/...28756,00.html). Lufthansa alone requires about 430 new pilots annually.

Oh yeah, and about the sponsorship: At Lufthansa, they finance the training and you have to repay ca. 40.000 Euros, i.e. about 60.000 US$ once you finished training and got a job. If you don't get a job with a Lufthansa company within five years after the training, or you have to quit the training due to lack of skills or due to health problems, you don't have to pay back anything.

Comment

Working...
              X