Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When do airlines decide to switch the aircraft they use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When do airlines decide to switch the aircraft they use?

ive noticed british airways, air france, and lufthansa all switch aircraft in the month of april to service to YYZ(toronto). british airways send a 747 instead of the 777 in the spring and summer, air france sends the 747 instead of the a340, and lufthansa sends the a340-600 instead of the a340-300. is like april to october the peak months for travel to these destinations and is that why they switch aircraft? im happy cause i plan to do some spotting in a while and i would rather see some 747s rather then a 340-300 or a 777-200 just cause there so rare now at yyz.

They take all thier planes and routes and historical passenger figures and fuel prices and what planes are being retired and what new planes are coming into service and put it all into a big Excel spread sheet and have this macro that figures out the best thing to do.
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Typically, aircraft are switched due to seasonal traffic (or frequencies cut). For example, JFK/EWR-SXM will run daily during peak months (Oct-Apr about), but will only run 4-5 times weekly during the rest of the year.

Comment

Yes it has to do with peak seasons. If you realize, in every instance that you have highlighted, there was a capacity increase. The reason being, more travellers wisshing to travel. Things may not be the same in Canada, but those months correlate to the summer season here in the U.S., a time when many people choose to get leisurely time off to travel to Europe. It's hellish in Europe with that many "stupid' tourists. Anyway, during the peak seasons, you always see larger aircrafts, or more frequencies. In the case of YYZ, adding more frequncies may be impossible, if not incredibly expensive, so a capacity increase has to be done the only way possible. I think that when the A380 comes online with AF and BA (and to a lesser extent LH) it would not shock me to see them being sent to YYZ instead of their 747s. LH might as well, but that depends on if they need that much of a capacity jump. To jump from an A346 to a A380 is quite a bit much.
        Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Originally posted by AA 1818
          Yes it has to do with peak seasons. If you realize, in every instance that you have highlighted, there was a capacity increase. The reason being, more travellers wisshing to travel. Things may not be the same in Canada, but those months correlate to the summer season here in the U.S., a time when many people choose to get leisurely time off to travel to Europe. It's hellish in Europe with that many "stupid' tourists. Anyway, during the peak seasons, you always see larger aircrafts, or more frequencies. In the case of YYZ, adding more frequncies may be impossible, if not incredibly expensive, so a capacity increase has to be done the only way possible. I think that when the A380 comes online with AF and BA (and to a lesser extent LH) it would not shock me to see them being sent to YYZ instead of their 747s. LH might as well, but that depends on if they need that much of a capacity jump. To jump from an A346 to a A380 is quite a bit much.
          By the same token, the summer months are off-season in teh Caribbean, Florida, Mexico, etc., and capacity is shifted elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Bok269
            By the same token, the summer months are off-season in teh Caribbean, Florida, Mexico, etc., and capacity is shifted elsewhere.
            Even that depends. I mean, for sure - FL sees a dip in traffic. Being at PBI during non-peak months gets a bit depressing. But flight to the Caribbean are always full. I have even seen capacity increases to the Caribbean (for AA) duing the summer months. Most of those passengers are ex-pat. travellers, or those going on vacation. So, as for the Caribbean, AFAIK, things are a bit weird.

Comment

I don't know if i'd say summer is off season in Florida. As AA 1818 said, maybe a place like PBI will be dead, but go to MCO, and you have a different story.

Comment

Originally posted by Airbus_A320
                I don't know if i'd say summer is off season in Florida. As AA 1818 said, maybe a place like PBI will be dead, but go to MCO, and you have a different story.
                And MIA and FLL swell to fever pitch as well. I know for sure that FL adds capacity to FLL during the summer months (they used to lease Miami Air 738s just to run that route)...

Comment

Originally posted by Airbus_A320
                  I know for sure that FL adds capacity to FLL during the summer months (they used to lease Miami Air 738s just to run that route)...
                  Interesting...maybe Florida is not as susceptible to a summer down turn as the Caribbean.
                  But flight to the Caribbean are always full. I have even seen capacity increases to the Caribbean (for AA) duing the summer months. Most of those passengers are ex-pat. travellers, or those going on vacation. So, as for the Caribbean, AFAIK, things are a bit weird
                  That's interesting because I have had some trouble finding mid-week flights to certain Caribbean destinations during the summer when they run daily during the winter (SXM comes to mind).

Comment

That's interesting because I have had some trouble finding mid-week flights to certain Caribbean destinations during the summer when they run daily during the winter (SXM comes to mind).
                    Each destination is different, but I think that the distinction needs to be made on the type of traffic that each island is recieving. For example, to POS we do get tourists, but mostly ex-pats. are travelling home during the summer. TAB, on the other hand, sees alot of tourist traffic, and not that much ex-pats, so they will see a reduction in services during the summer.

GEO gets a definate reuction in services during the winter, or rather, an increase in services during the summer. Where as it does not surprise me that SXM sees a reduciton during the summer, b/c of so many factors. Mostly due to the fact that most of the traffic travelling to the islands are tourists. Also, due to the fact that so many airlines serve the destination they cannot all hold onto the same capacity year round.

It all depends on the type of traffic going to the destination, and the amount of carriers serving the route. If tourism or rather tourist traffic picks up within Trindad, we may very well see more carriers (we have recently added CO, DL, and will soon might be adding NK, and the ever growing presence of Travelspan), and things may be as things have become with SXM. In the past we only had two options - BW and AA, but with more options you split the market and maybe a need to split frequencies.

Comment

For us in SE Alaska it depends on two things:
                      • How many cruise ships are cruising our waters. With more cruise ships we get a couple more flights added to the schedule, including a red eye out of Juneau.
                      • How many people are stranded due to weather. In the fall/winter when weather causes cancellations, they will throw a couple -900s to help get people out.
                      You've got to try to find what's right before your eyes-Finger Eleven

Comment

Working...
                      X