X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHINA SOUTHERN set to put Teheran on its route map

China Southern launching non-stop Beijing-Tehran service
    By Nicholas Ionides

China Southern Airlines is to launch non-stop passenger services between Beijing and Tehran at the end of this month.

The SkyTeam alliance carrier says in a statement that it will operate non-stop flights between the Chinese and Iranian capitals from 31 March. Two flights will be operated each week with Airbus A330-200s.

China Southern already serves Tehran from Beijing two times per week but those flights, which it will be retaining, operate via the Chinese city of Urumqi.

Iran Air is the only airline that currently operates non-stop Tehran-Beijing services, according to Innovata.

Source: flightglobal.com's sister premium news site Air Transport Intelligence news
    Thanks for visiting
    *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
    *JetPhotos*
    Airliners*Pbase.com

That's a smart move for the airline as they can tap into a market that is relitavely underserved. It's yet another option for those ex.pat Iranians or travellers that are wishing to go home for vacation and the like. I can only imagine that there is little or no traffic originating within China, right? Also, last week (or maybe it was two weeks ago) didn't a China Southern flight crew foil a terrorist attempt on one of their aircraft? Where did the flight originate?
    Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Originally posted by AA 1818
      That's a smart move for the airline as they can tap into a market that is relitavely underserved. It's yet another option for those ex.pat Iranians or travellers that are wishing to go home for vacation and the like. I can only imagine that there is little or no traffic originating within China, right? Also, last week (or maybe it was two weeks ago) didn't a China Southern flight crew foil a terrorist attempt on one of their aircraft? Where did the flight originate?
      I think it was a domestic flight from Urumqi, which is in Xinjiang province in far western China. There has been low-level Muslim activism there for many years which the Chinese have been trying to suppress (though I don't know if this incident was linked to this movement). The far west has historically been populated by non-ethnic Chinese (ie. Muslim Uighur people). By the way, Iran Air has been flying to Beijing for many years, so there is demand for flights between the two countries.

Comment

Working...
      X