Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Delta to announce changes in response to rising fuel costs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delta to announce changes in response to rising fuel costs.

Possible fare hikes, job cuts, route cuts, a/c cuts....very interesting to see how they handle this:

http://www.ajc.com/business/content/...cxntlid=inform

you know...god forbid you raise fares to make up for the increased cost in your operation. Its not like that works for every other industry on earth or anything.

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
      you know...god forbid you raise fares to make up for the increased cost in your operation. Its not like that works for every other industry on earth or anything.
      Raising fares or prices also means a larger risk of losing a customer to one of those slave-wage paying internet companies. Sure is the case in the printing and ink business .
      Anyway, I'd expect to see quite a bit of RJ routes being cut, primarily p2p routes out of MCO/FLL/TPA/LAX, as well as reducing frequencies out of ATL, SLC and especially CVG, coinciding hopefully with discontinuing the contract with Mesa.

Comment

Originally posted by DAL767-400ER
        Raising fares or prices also means a larger risk of losing a customer to one of those slave-wage paying internet companies. Sure is the case in the printing and ink business .
        Anyway, I'd expect to see quite a bit of RJ routes being cut, primarily p2p routes out of MCO/FLL/TPA/LAX, as well as reducing frequencies out of ATL, SLC and especially CVG, coinciding hopefully with discontinuing the contract with Mesa.
        Yeah...whatever happens I'm keeping my fingers crossed. What a fantastic time to be at the bottom of a seniority list.

Comment

Yeah...whatever happens I'm keeping my fingers crossed. What a fantastic time to be at the bottom of a seniority list.
          I wouldn't worry too much though, as said there are others that would be hit by DL cuts before the EV/OO combo, namely Mesa, Comair, Mesa, Expressjet, Mesa, Chautauqua, oh, and Mesa .

Comment

Originally posted by DAL767-400ER
            I wouldn't worry too much though, as said there are others that would be hit by DL cuts before the EV/OO combo, namely Mesa, Comair, Mesa, Expressjet, Mesa, Chautauqua, oh, and Mesa .
            Not really...last week we announced termination of service of
            ATL-ACY (Atlantic City, NJ) effective 5/1
            ATL-ISP (Islip, NY) effective 5/2
            SLC-BLI (Bellingham, WA) effective 5/1
            SLC-FAR (Fargo, ND) effective 5/1
            SLC-MRY (Monterey, CA) effective 6/5

All of those are Skywest and ASA routes...

Comment

I actually don't think Delta (or any other carrier who increases fares) is remotely worried about driving way the passengers. Where will the passengers go ? With load factors in the US at historic highs, competition is neutralized. The airlines have reached a situation where they can charge whatever they want in the current market since there is no shortage of demand. This is essentially why customer service at US airlines has disappeared. They just don't need to provide any customer service, pure and simple, and a lot of people have not really 'got' this point. Whether this will continue if the US recession bites further remans to be seen.

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaFlyer
                Not really...last week we announced termination of service of
                ATL-ACY (Atlantic City, NJ) effective 5/1
                ATL-ISP (Islip, NY) effective 5/2
                SLC-BLI (Bellingham, WA) effective 5/1
                SLC-FAR (Fargo, ND) effective 5/1
                SLC-MRY (Monterey, CA) effective 6/5

All of those are Skywest and ASA routes...
                So? Just because those routes are being operated by EV/OO doesn't mean they are the ones that will see RJ/job cuts. If there's one thing Delta is notorious for, it's switching around its DCI carriers all over the place.

Comment

Halcyon Days

I somewhat disagree with your point - leisure travelers may choose to displose of their income in other ways. My frequent weekend getaway was WN to various holiday destination cities, but now I dune buggy and boat here in my home state. Why ? because I am no longer 'free to move about the country'... I feel hassled and threatened by all this TSA stuff and by the dictatorial powers flight attendants have these days, like I might go to Federal Prison for calling attention to flaps and slats not deployed like I did once. I dont like being patted down, and told to step thru some dopey machine like a convict.
                  So I spend my money elsewhere.
                  ASMEL-IA 1978 A&P-IA 1965 First Aloft 1954 DC-4
                  Dad: B-24 Ploesti Self: U205A1 private ops Nam

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Jay
                    I somewhat disagree with your point - leisure travelers may choose to displose of their income in other ways. My frequent weekend getaway was WN to various holiday destination cities, but now I dune buggy and boat here in my home state. Why ? because I am no longer 'free to move about the country'... I feel hassled and threatened by all this TSA stuff and by the dictatorial powers flight attendants have these days, like I might go to Federal Prison for calling attention to flaps and slats not deployed like I did once. I dont like being patted down, and told to step thru some dopey machine like a convict.
                    That's fair enough, and no doubt there is a small number of people who have voluntarily withdrawn from flying commercially due to the sheer misery of doing so nowadays. I doubt, however, that the number of such people is very large system-wide, although on certain routes or city pairs it may be meaningful. But it doesn't matter. Airlines simply reduce capacity to meet the demand - and in some cases they do so rapidly and aggressively, and in a sort of ruthless way they didn't until a few years ago. So, broadly speaking, it doesn't matter how many or how few people actually fly - the airlines have the ability to engineer very high load factors, which means that airlines have little incentive to think about customer needs or customer service, which means they can raise fares or reduce service quality in an ever growing downward spiral.

Comment

Amen! Preach it Brother!
                      Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Fare increases have already started at other airlines:

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/fligh...ncreases_N.htm

I guess it's time for me to break out my teleportation machine I've been saving for times like this.....oh wait....I sold it last week for a gallon of gasoline.....damn!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Jay
                          Oh get a life dude...what a load of horse $hit....you feel hassled and threatened? What a joke. Bud I fly every other week for biz and breeze through the checkpoints. Your description of traveling isn't even remotely close to being the real fact.

I have a feeling your the person in front of me who takes about 20 mins to take off the metal on you only to go through the detector set it off be asked for your boarding pass which you left in your carry on going through the X-ray device. Security is easy to get through if you hold a shred of common sense.

Comment

[consumer mode: on]

DL was surprisingly cheap when I booked my dad's ticket from ATL to BOM. it was roughly $1100 when I bought it for him. I was sure it would go up as time went on, but it's now $1050! I know that BOM is a bit more price sensitive than other markets, but I didn't expect anything to be that low. The prices to BOM haven't moved up or down for many years.

[consumer mode: off]

Comment

Working...
                            X