United to shrink fleet to conserve fuel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• United to shrink fleet to conserve fuel

CHICAGO (Reuters) - UAL Corp (UAUA.O: Quote, Profile, Research), parent of United Airlines, will shrink its fleet by up to 4 percent this year to combat the skyrocketing cost of jet fuel, the chief executive of the No. 2 U.S. carrier said on Tuesday.

In a message to employees, Glenn Tilton said the airline aims to eliminate 15 to 20 of its older, less fuel efficient narrow-body planes. United's fleet currently has 460 aircraft.

The fleet reduction is part of a broader effort to offset a possible $1 billion increase in fuel costs in 2008, UAL's Chief Financial Officer Jake Brace said in a statement earlier on Tuesday.

The airline currently has 20 percent of its anticipated 2008 fuel requirements hedged, Brace said. That's up from 16 percent as reported in previous regulatory filings.
    No exact models given, but it would only be logical to see 733s and especially 735s being retired.

Dale:

What's the yeild on AC's planes? Are the EMB's at the top of the heap for fuel efficiency?
    My Flickr Pictures! Click Me!

Comment

As you may have read, Southwest is also considering ramping up the retirement of it's 737-300s. It looks like the parking lots at MHV and VCV will be filling once again. Or this might give a startup a chance to buy jets on the cheap or expand more quickly.
      Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingPhotog
        It looks like the parking lots at MHV and VCV will be filling once again. Or this might give a startup a chance to buy jets on the cheap or expand more quickly.
        2010: The resurection of Pan Am...IV!*thunder*

The only thing I can see going is the 735s, perhaps some 733s. They can easily cover 737 routes with the Airbus fleet, but it'd be a bit harder to replace any other aircraft. I can see them perhaps parking a few of the heavies again.
        sigpic
        http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Personally I think they need to order new planes... like the 737WL, 738WL, 739WL to replace the 733 and 735. That is a good way to cut the cost of fuel. Anyway the planes would look very nice in that livery!!

Comment

Originally posted by n777co
            Personally I think they need to order new planes... like the 737WL, 738WL, 739WL to replace the 733 and 735. That is a good way to cut the cost of fuel. Anyway the planes would look very nice in that livery!!
            That would be the opposite of shrinking there fleet and cutting costs. By purchasing new A/C that are not in the fleet already would result in added cost in flight crew training, Maint, Etc. kinda counter productive you think.
            Robin Guess Aviation Historian, Photographer, Web Designer.

http://www.Jet-Fighters.Net
            http://www.Jet-Liners.Net

Comment

Originally posted by Crunk415balla
              2010: The resurection of Pan Am...IV!*thunder*

The only thing I can see going is the 735s, perhaps some 733s. They can easily cover 737 routes with the Airbus fleet, but it'd be a bit harder to replace any other aircraft. I can see them perhaps parking a few of the heavies again.
              "Pan Am: The fourth coming. Or 5th. We lost count 5 years ago."

Comment

Originally posted by Jet-fighters.Net
                That would be the opposite of shrinking there fleet and cutting costs. By purchasing new A/C that are not in the fleet already would result in added cost in flight crew training, Maint, Etc. kinda counter productive you think.
                Yes but they really need to replace the 737s they have now. They are reaching the end of there days and are becoming too old to use. Anyway the new planes could possibly be a revinue buster because people will think... "New planes I might have a more enjoyable flight." Just a thought though.

Comment

Yes but they really need to replace the 737s they have now. They are reaching the end of there days and are becoming too old to use. Anyway the new planes could possibly be a revinue buster because people will think... "New planes I might have a more enjoyable flight." Just a thought though.
                  Too old to use? The hell are you talking about? Many of these planes if actually retired will find new homes overseas or with smaller/charter airlines where they will be useful for a very long time. Believe it or not, there are are still airlines operating fleets of 732's 727's and the like which are older than 733's and 735's and they are doing fine. And do you think that most people actually have a clue about if planes are new or old?

And with the amount of A319/320 that they have why would they get 738's, and 739's and have to train pilots to fly them, when they already have the Airbus set up. You make no sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Airbus_A320
                    The hell are you talking about?
                    He obviously doesn't know.

Comment

Too old to use? The hell are you talking about? Many of these planes if actually retired will find new homes overseas or with smaller/charter airlines where they will be useful for a very long time. Believe it or not, there are are still airlines operating fleets of 732's 727's and the like which are older than 733's and 735's and they are doing fine. And do you think that most people actually have a clue about if planes are new or old?

And with the amount of A319/320 that they have why would they get 738's, and 739's and have to train pilots to fly them, when they already have the Airbus set up. You make no sense.
                      Yes I realize that people still use much older planes. There is an airline in Africa that still uses DC-3s. I was just saying that they planes are getting too old for the type of revenue that they are looking for. It is just getting to the point where they are becoming uneconomical for the routes that they are flying them on. I didn't mean to rule out the A320, 19, and 21 but I personally don't see them going with more Airbus planes. (I'm not saying that Airbus is bad I actually am a fan on the A330/40.) United has been though out history a BIG Boeing operator. The only airbus plane that they have owned and operated is the A319, 20. But then again this is just my opinion and you can disagree with me if you would like.

Comment

Well, until the late 80's when the A320 started flying, the only options were Boeing and Douglas. So of course they were a big Boeing operator. But since the A320/319 they have also become a big Airbus operator. If they are going to retire planes and replace them with new ones, Airbus would be the choice because these would give better fleet commonality and lower costs in training and maintainance.
                        Their short/medium haul fleet now comprised of the Airbus and 733/735 would become more economical if it was common which would mean A320 and A319. The long haul fleet is made up fleet of Boeings, 763, 777, and 744, which also makes sense. And the 757 fits in the middle. Getting 737NG's would be the same as getting more A320, except they would have to have different training and maintenance for them which would be counter productive since they already have the infrastructure for the Airbus. You can have whatever opinion you want, but I'm pointing out flaws in your logic. Airlines are trying to make money, which is already hard enough as it is, so they certianly wouldn't be buying planes because they look "cool".

Comment

Well, until the late 80's when the A320 started flying, the only options were Boeing and Douglas. So of course they were a big Boeing operator. But since the A320/319 they have also become a big Airbus operator. If they are going to retire planes and replace them with new ones, Airbus would be the choice because these would give better fleet commonality and lower costs in training and maintainance.
                          Their short/medium haul fleet now comprised of the Airbus and 733/735 would become more economical if it was common which would mean A320 and A319. The long haul fleet is made up fleet of Boeings, 763, 777, and 744, which also makes sense. And the 757 fits in the middle. Getting 737NG's would be the same as getting more A320, except they would have to have different training and maintenance for them which would be counter productive since they already have the infrastructure for the Airbus. You can have whatever opinion you want, but I'm pointing out flaws in your logic. Airlines are trying to make money, which is already hard enough as it is, so they certianly wouldn't be buying planes because they look "cool".
                          Ok I respect and see your opinion. And yes I understand that airlines are here to make money and not to have cool looking plans. I understand this because my Mom is a UA Flight attendent, and she has had to take many pay cuts because the airlines was not doing well. I think I'm done trying to argue about which plane is better because I can just see this turning into a A Vs. B War.

Comment

How is it turning into an A vs. B war?

Comment

How is it turning into an A vs. B war?
                              I didn't say that it is right now I was saying that if we were to continue this most likely people will start to take sides and this could get ugly. (past experience)

Comment

Working...
                              X