Air India terminating all code-shares with non-Star airlines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air India terminating all code-shares with non-Star airlines

AI is terminating all the code-share agreements with non-Star Alliance carriers upon joining Star. I don't quite understand the reasons behind it, since airlines have been code-sharing with airlines from other alliance, e.g. LAN code-shares with Korean Air, Air China code-shares with Cathay Pacific, etc. Is it a Star only policy that Star airlines cannot code-share with airlines from another alliance?

From Payload Asia (Mar 2008 )

Air India to terminate codeshares

Air India has announced it will terminate codeshare agreements with Air France, KLM, Aeroflot, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Continental Airlines and Royal Jordanian by March 2009, when it is scheduled to join the Star Alliance.

Meanwhile, Air India has selected Munich as its European hub, according to Civil Aviation Minister, Praful Patel. Network plans have not been disclosed.

Patel forecasts domestic Indian passenger traffic to grow by 25 per cent per annum over the next five years, with the Indian fleet to rise from 400 aircraft at present to approximately 2,500 by 2020. Th e number of airports in India will increase from 80 at present to 500 in 2020.
    Next:
    None Planned

Re:

^Well Air China codeshares with CX so it can't be an SA-only policy. Must be an AI move. Then again, it's AI we're talking about, so who knows?

Comment

This is probably because all the ignorant non-Star customers kept expecting AI crews to fix their laptops for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Foxtrot
        ^Well Air China codeshares with CX so it can't be an SA-only policy. Must be an AI move. Then again, it's AI we're talking about, so who knows?
        It's probably just an AI think. UA and US codeshare with a number of non-SA carriers.

Is oneworld courting 9W at the present moment?

Comment

Originally posted by flyboy2548m
          This is probably because all the ignorant non-Star customers kept expecting AI crews to fix their laptops for them.
          Now that you mention it, this can be a great unique value-added service that AI can offer, especially for flights to and from Bangalore and Hyderabad.
          Next:
          None Planned

Comment

Originally posted by CathayPacific
            Now that you mention it, this can be a great unique value-added service that AI can offer, especially for flights to and from Bangalore and Hyderabad.
            The things I could do if only I had the power....It boggles the mind.

Comment

Re:

Originally posted by Bok269
              It's probably just an AI think. UA and US codeshare with a number of non-SA carriers.

Is oneworld courting 9W at the present moment?
              Not really, 9W just recently announced a new codesharing agreement with Air Canada for pax flying between Indian and Canadian hubs, and a few other destination cities in each country, also via LHR where pax from either airline can transfer to the other and vice-versa.

9W also codeshares with Brussels Airlines for transfers to Europena cities to/from BRU.

Comment

Not really, 9W just recently announced a new codesharing agreement with Air Canada for pax flying between Indian and Canadian hubs, and a few other destination cities in each country, also via LHR where pax from either airline can transfer to the other and vice-versa.

9W also codeshares with Brussels Airlines for transfers to Europena cities to/from BRU.
                Also keep in mind AA has established a relationship with them as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Bok269
                  Also keep in mind AA has established a relationship with them as well.
                  Right, but AA's a OneWorld member, which he was asking if it's courting 9W.

Comment

Right, but AA's a OneWorld member, which he was asking if it's courting 9W.
                    They also have close ties to QF due to their codehsaring agreement on the flights to Australia. They are "redemption partners" with BA, but I know that this agreement will end by the end of this month, at which time I hope that BA strengthens it's ties to the airline. I think that 9W is delaying entering an alliance for good reasons, it always limits expansions. Not many airlines will expand into an alliance member's destinations due to the fact that codesharing, at times, is more fuel efficent, and so that it will not step on the toes of the member airline. I like the fact that they are agressively, albeit cautiously, expanding to untapped destinations. I would love for them to join OneWorld, but only when they are ready. To be honest, I was under the impression that they were so close to joining Star (citing their codeshares of Thai, Swiss, SAA, Lufthansa, Austrian and Air Canada).
                    Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Abruptness of the decision will also rattle the cage.
                      For
                      AI clearly shows which club it enlists with
                      Is not afraid to expendate some revenue worth agreement to better mean its drive
                      Some interesting agreement may be clinched faster than expected.
                      Against
                      Too bad for those who will keep dealing with everyone left
                      Thanks for visiting
                      *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
                      *JetPhotos*
                      Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Working...
                      X