Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delta Looking At Australian Flights

From Australian Aviation Express:

DELTA LOOKING AT AUSTRALIAN FLIGHTS AS MERGER SINKS: Delta Air Lines has reportedly made an informal request to Boeing to examine ways which may allow its 777-200LRs to fly direct services between the US east coast and Australia.
    According to ‘Flight International', Delta would prefer to serve Australia with direct flights from its hubs at New York-JFK and Atlanta rather than flying from the west coast, where it does not have a large presence. The carrier plans to use its fleet of 777-200ERs/LRs on long haul services to India and the Middle East from these hubs.
    Boeing lists the 777-200LR's range at 9450nm with three additional fuel tanks, but projections from the manufacturer put Sydney out of direct range from JFK due to winds and alternate requirements.
    This is the first indication that another US airline is looking at serving Australia since the new Open Skies agreement between the two countries was signed in February this year. No other US carriers have talked of using the new freedom under the agreement to start flights to Australia.
    Delta took delivery of its first 777-200LR on February 29.
    Separately, Delta's hopes of merging with Northwest Airlines have been effectively sunk due to the inability of both airlines' unions to resolve seniority issues. Reports from the US indicate that Delta and Northwest's pilots have not been able to reach agreement on a merged seniority system, and as a result management at both airlines have decided not to proceed with a merger.

I personally LOVE! to see Delta operate to Australia and I hope to see them here sometime soon!

Regards,

GJ
    "A pilot lives in a world of perfection or does not live at all."

hell yeah, I'd love to nonrev there sometime

Comment

That will be a tough haul as Air Canada looked at YYZ to SYD and found that the aircraft can make it, however it will be restricted on the southbound.

Comment

That would be one LOOOOOOONG flight. Maybe they could add more composites to save weight.

Comment

Or why not give SLC more hub-like responsibilities and operate the flight from there (assuming the field elevation/runway length isn't a problem). "Everything" international doesn't have to originate nonstop out of ATL or JFK...just make it a thru-flight from ATL. If they can take a chance with CDG, why not SYD...

Comment

Originally posted by cegro27
            Or why not give SLC more hub-like responsibilities and operate the flight from there (assuming the field elevation/runway length isn't a problem). "Everything" international doesn't have to originate nonstop out of ATL or JFK...just make it a thru-flight from ATL. If they can take a chance with CDG, why not SYD...
            I would love that, 777's here in salt lake...

But its not going to happen, at least in the near future.
            Will C.

Comment

Well, let's see:
              -The runways at SLC are too short
              -Limited gate space (the 764s can be a tight fit, one 77L would require 2 gates minimum)
              -Low O&D
              SLC-CDG is only going ahead because Salt Lake City is providing a $2 million subsidary for that flight.

And it should be noticed that the article mentions "direct" flights from JFK and ATL, not nonstop. Of course, it could be a journalist not knowing the difference (yeah I know, novel idea ), but nonstop DL service from either city is anything but a given, especially given current oil price levels.

Comment

Originally posted by Will_Power
                I would love that, 777's here in salt lake...

But its not going to happen, at least in the near future.

Well maybe not in the near future, but anything can happen, and it's possible. If Obama can make a good run for the presidency than surely SLC has a chance at seeing regular 777 service. Have some hope.

Comment

SLC will never work, Australian's aren't interested in flying into anywhere but LAX, SFO and JFK..ok, American folk might have a different view but filling a 777 on the Australia-USA leg with passengers who hold Australian passports would be impossible if their first destination is SLC...let alone mention to them that they have to connect for a flight which backtracks when they could've gotten on QF/UA and flown directly into LAX or SFO.

next trips
                  USA/DXB August.

Comment

Why are they only interested in flying into those three cities? Are they afraid to fly into any other U.S. city, or this just from a point-of-entry standpoint?

Comment

Originally posted by DAL767-400ER
                      Well, let's see:
                      -The runways at SLC are too short
                      -Limited gate space (the 764s can be a tight fit, one 77L would require 2 gates minimum)
                      -Low O&D
                      SLC-CDG is only going ahead because Salt Lake City is providing a $2 million subsidiary for that flight.

And it should be noticed that the article mentions "direct" flights from JFK and ATL, not nonstop. Of course, it could be a journalist not knowing the difference (yeah I know, novel idea ), but nonstop DL service from either city is anything but a given, especially given current oil price levels.
                      Yep,
                      -The master plan calls for runway lengthening, but it wouldn't be likely for another 6-10 years.
                      -SLC only has one gate that can hold a large widebody, and that is in terminal 1, away from all of the delta operations. Again the master plan calls for all new terminals, probably with more large gates, but not likely for 8-14 years.
                      -As Longreach747 said; Australians would much rather fly to JFK, LAX, or SFO. SLC may be less "hassle" but it would be tough to fill a 777.

Maybe in 20 years, there's no doubt I wouldn't love a route like that, but i am very doubtful.
                      Will C.

Comment

I wouldn't say we are 'afraid' to fly into anywhere other than LAX, SFO or JFK, but rather those are the top US destinations we want to visit. Can't say there are too many touristy things in SLC that would attract me over NYC!

Comment

Originally posted by afkabruce98
                          I wouldn't say we are 'afraid' to fly into anywhere other than LAX, SFO or JFK, but rather those are the top US destinations we want to visit. Can't say there are too many touristy things in SLC that would attract me over NYC!
                          I wouldn't say that either, but would you use SLC as a point-of-entry on your way to the Big Apple....or is the idea of using any other airport other than LAX, SFO and JFK something that makes you uneasy, or is it just not appealing transit-wise?

Comment

I wouldn't say that either, but would you use SLC as a point-of-entry on your way to the Big Apple....or is the idea of using any other airport other than LAX, SFO and JFK something that makes you uneasy, or is it just not appealing transit-wise?
                            SLC enroute to JFK would be ok if passengers were doing it in one hit..thing is that QF107 is usually pretty light as it is when it does the LAX-JFK milk run...so, I'd guess that most of the passengers terminate in LA, do what it is they do then take AA/QF later down the track to get into NYC...I don't think you'd find many Australian tourists wanting to hang about in Mormon central for a few days then head over to NYC or backtrack to LA or SFO...then backtrack to SLC in order to get home.

its about flying where people want to go and when it comes to the US Australian's want SFO, LAX, HNL and JFK.

next trips
                            USA/DXB August.

Comment

Originally posted by Longreach747
                              SLC enroute to JFK would be ok if passengers were doing it in one hit..thing is that QF107 is usually pretty light as it is when it does the LAX-JFK milk run...so, I'd guess that most of the passengers terminate in LA, do what it is they do then take AA/QF later down the track to get into NYC...I don't think you'd find many Australian tourists wanting to hang about in Mormon central for a few days then head over to NYC or backtrack to LA or SFO...then backtrack to SLC in order to get home.

its about flying where people want to go and when it comes to the US Australian's want SFO, LAX, HNL and JFK.
                              haha
                              that is utah! I am like the only one in the state that is not Mormon
                              really the only thing to do here is ski, and only in the winter (of corse)
                              Will C.

Comment

Working...
                              X