Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NWA now to charge 2nd bag $25-AA considering also.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NWA now to charge 2nd bag $25-AA considering also.

Northwest to Charge $25 for 2nd Checked Bag

EAGAN, Minn. (AP) -- Northwest Airlines says it will begin charging $25 for a second piece of luggage for flights within North America.

At Yahoo Finance, you get free stock quotes, up-to-date news, portfolio management resources, international market data, social interaction and mortgage rates that help you manage your financial life.

CHICAGO, March 27 (Reuters) - American Airlines, a unit of AMR Corp (AMR.N: Quote, Profile, Research), said on Thursday it may start charging $25 to check a second bag, a move that could spur revenue and cost savings as fuel prices soar.

If AA becomes effective along with NW, CO will now be the only remaining legacy carrier to not charge 2nd bag.

Currently all LCC charge for 3rd bag and beyond.

Alex
    Stop Searching. Start Traveling. southwest.com

Hmm, I guess it's time for me to buy a bigger suitcase.

Comment

Originally posted by cegro27
      Hmm, I guess it's time for me to buy a bigger suitcase.
      hmmm they aren't allowing more weight per bag.

Comment

Originally posted by ptbodale
        hmmm they aren't allowing more weight per bag.
        Who said anything about more weight?

Comment

If AA becomes effective along with NW, CO will now be the only remaining legacy carrier to not charge 2nd bag.
          What about DL?

Comment

DL starts charging for 2nd bag in May I believe.

Comment

I know that they can try this within the U.S. but to do this on the international routes would be suicidial.
              Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Originally posted by AA 1818
                I know that they can try this within the U.S. but to do this on the international routes would be suicidial.
                Yep, when our bean counters first started this it was going to be on all bags system wide, Domestic and International...fortunately they are now saying that International bags are exempt from the 2nd bag fee...

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaFlyer
                  Yep, when our bean counters first started this it was going to be on all bags system wide, Domestic and International...fortunately they are now saying that International bags are exempt from the 2nd bag fee...
                  When does this go into effect? Also, what happens for international pax that have a domestic connection first? I imagine that they would be counted as international, but am just wondering if they would be charged for the first domestic leg.

Comment

Originally posted by cegro27
                    Who said anything about more weight?
                    I'm no scientist, but I'm pretty sure as you place more items in a bag, the weight goes up. Therefore rather than paying the extra bag charge, you will probably end up paying the overweight charge.

Comment

Originally posted by Airbus_A320
                      When does this go into effect? Also, what happens for international pax that have a domestic connection first? I imagine that they would be counted as international, but am just wondering if they would be charged for the first domestic leg.
                      May 1st.

Alex

Comment

Originally posted by nwaA330
                        I'm no scientist, but I'm pretty sure as you place more items in a bag, the weight goes up. Therefore rather than paying the extra bag charge, you will probably end up paying the overweight charge.
                        What, you think I pack bricks in my luggage?? You think I don't know about airlines charging for overweight bags? Just because a person carries one large bag doesn't mean the bag will be overweight...a supermodel's bag?, ok maybe, but not the average person.

Comment

If your final destination is an international one, then your bags are treated as "international" as well, so no, you wouldn't be charged.

Comment

Off the top of my head I cant remember when the 2nd bag fee starts.

But for your other question, if the bag is checked all the way thru to the final destination and you are not claiming your bag at a domestic airport then it is considered international, but if you plan to claim your bag and recheck it then it is considered domestic and you would be charged

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaFlyer
                              Off the top of my head I cant remember when the 2nd bag fee starts.

But for your other question, if the bag is checked all the way thru to the final destination and you are not claiming your bag at a domestic airport then it is considered international, but if you plan to claim your bag and recheck it then it is considered domestic and you would be charged
                              I mentioned it above, May 1st for Delta Airlines.

Alex

Comment

Working...
                              X