Barely resurrected, already down : JETAMERICA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barely resurrected, already down : JETAMERICA

was a proposed budget airline based in WestVirginia. Back in the eighties, Jet America briefly traded in the US charter and supplemental markets, first with 707-300Bs then Maddogs.

Airline shut-downs force start-up Jet America out of business
    By Megan Kuhn

West Virginia-based startup Jet America has ceased operations on 7 April.

Low-cost Jet America would have provided interstate and intrastate service from Yeager airport in Charleston starting in 2010.Some investors, however, reneged after low-cost Skybus Airlines ceased operations, says Matt Ballard, president and CEO of the Charleston Area Alliance.

The nonprofit alliance earmarked $200,000 for the airline spearheaded by Skybus founder John Weikle.

The alliance wanted the project to move forward, but with rising fuel costs and the challenge of raising money in this economy, some public investors decided now was not time to start an airline, Ballard explains.

Charleston and Central West Virginia convention and visitor bureaus had pledged to invest $1 million from hotel and motel taxes.

Weikle raised the $3 million minimum seed capital required by 31 March.

He had expressed interest in applying for $1 million from the West Virginia Jobs Investment Trust (WVJIT), the state’s venture capital fund, but had not done so by 31 March, WVJIT executive director Richard Ross said.

Source: Air Transport Intelligence news
    Thanks for visiting
    *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
    *JetPhotos*
    Airliners*Pbase.com

Yes, Jet America was based in LGB and flew 707-300s and MD-80s on charters and some schedualed routes. They flew as far east as ORD in the end.

Resurrections are almost always doomed to fail in this industry. (Western, Braniff II, Braniff III, Pan Am II, Pan Am III, Skybus, ect)
    sigpic
    http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

I think this was as much a reincarnation of Jet America as Skybus was as the original one (which flew 732s IIRC). Jet America was to be started by SX's founder on the same business model using E-190s from CRW, a city with an even smaller O&D market than CMH. Can't imagine why that wouldn't work

Comment

And to add to the mix, of all the places to start an LCC - West Virginia is one of the worst places on the Continent to do so. Isn't West Virginia the poorest state in the United States? As far as populations go, come on - there is no real market there. What an idiot for thinking that it was going to work. I could see another airline throwing a few flights into West Virgina, but to think that an airline could be based there is ludicrious.
        Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

That's the problem with company's....all their names suck....bring back the oldies

Transmeridian Air Cargo!
          [photoid=6214478]

Pelican Cargo!
          [photoid=6211189]

And my fav: SKYTRAIN!
          [photoid=6215420]
          My Flickr Pictures! Click Me!

Comment

I belive the origional Skybus flew a very small fleet, maybe even just one actually, of 727-200s. They were flown on public charters up and down the East Coast and Carribean.

As far as I know from reading about them, they never flew 732s.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Crunk415balla
              I belive the origional Skybus flew a very small fleet, maybe even just one actually, of 727-200s. They were flown on public charters up and down the East Coast and Carribean.

As far as I know from reading about them, they never flew 732s.
              I think there may have been a couple...

About to take the runway at MDW headed to LAS-this plane was in this color scheme for less than a week!!!! - Photo taken at Chicago - Midway International (Municipal / Air Park) (MDW / KMDW) in Illinois, USA on September 20, 1985.

Comment

Yup, the Skybus I was reffering to wasn't around until the mid-late 90s...and didn't last much longer than that.

I'm pretty sure the 80s Skybus had 721s and probably 722s as well.
                sigpic

Comment

Yup, the Skybus I was reffering to wasn't around until the mid-late 90s...and didn't last much longer than that.

I'm pretty sure the 80s Skybus had 721s and probably 722s as well.
                  How many times does a name have to fail before people realize its a bad idea...

Comment

Is it cheeper to take on the identity of a previous airline? I mean is it that the copywriting, image and all other things are easier to get that way? I am trying to figure out why so many entities would assume the identity of failed airlines? All of the others that I have heard of, PanAm (and it's numerous incarnations) Braniff (and it's incarnations) and even Western - are all that had a brand image and probably could have had a brand awareness that miht have meant free advertising, or nostalgic customers. But as for Skybus and AirAmerica - no one knew of these airlines. Why take on their identities? Why not just take on the identity of TWA, or other famous airlines that have failed?
                    Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Bok269
                      How many times does a name have to fail before people realize its a bad idea...
                      Apperantly 3 and counting for Pan Am and Braniff.
                      sigpic

Comment

Apperantly 3 and counting for Pan Am and Braniff.
                        I still say Pan Am is already up to #4, and that's not counting the ultimate disgrace (Pan Am railcars ).

Comment

May my memory is bad but was there not a Jet America airline that flew Long Beach to San Antonio about 20 years ago (and was bought by Alaska Airlines)?

Comment

Originally posted by DAL767-400ER
                            I still say Pan Am is already up to #4, and that's not counting the ultimate disgrace (Pan Am railcars ).
                            Pan Am IV? Was there another one?
                            sigpic

Comment

Pan Am IV? Was there another one?
                              Per Wikipedia there were 5...
                              The Original
                              Pan Am Air Bridge (Chalk's International Airlines sold its seaplane operations to a group of investors who operated Chalk's under the Bridge name with Pan Am logos)
                              Pan American Airways (1996-199
                              Pan American Airways (1998-2004)
                              Boston-Maine Airways (operated Pan Am Clipper Connection from 2004 to February 200

Comment

Working...
                              X