Should we be worried about our miles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should we be worried about our miles?

With the recent announcement that DL and NW plan to merge, there is a great deal of industry speculation as to what is going to happen with other airlines. Monitoring a few other forums (particularly airliners.net) I have seen a number of possible scenarios. Most notable is this one:

DL and NW

leads to

UA and CO

AA is left on its own, but could merge with AS

US is likely left on its own, could merge with AA, but could also fold

I presently have miles, in order of number, with AA, DL, CO, and US. When I go to the UK this Summer, US will take the #2 position, as they're all pretty close.

With a points.com account I can certainly swap out points for "prizes" if worst comes to worst and some airlines go bust. What do y'all think about what is coming to the industry? Are we looking at carriers like AA going the way of Eastern? (My grandmother lost A S**T LOAD of miles when EA when bust!)

I very much doubt that AA is going away anytime soon. That aside, if you are incredibly worried, AA does have alot of codeshare and alliance partners that you can redeem your miles on.

Speaking of mergers - I know that this seems a bit out there - but would a AA/CO merger be a good idea? I know that both being based in Texas is not that good of a thing, but with fleet commonolity and route networks being the way that they are - couldn't they make it work better than say, a CO/UA matchup or a DL/NW matchup? The only kicker I suppose is that neither carrier has a strong presence in the Pacific (which is what UA would bring to the table in a merger).
    Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

I think a CO/AA merger would be great, as I appreciate the service of both carriers. I don't think, though, that DoJ would approve.

I have all of my miles monitored on points.com. If worst comes to worst and one of the carriers goes, I will be sure to at least cash in my miles for several hundred dollars worth of Starbucks beforehand!

Comment

From what I have read so far, DL+NW will combine miles into one account. If this is really a merger, then that's the fairest way to do it. If they cancel any program, then they'll lose a lot of business. I'd be pretty mad if my NW or DL acct dropped to zero, and I don't even have that many miles!

Comment

Working...
        X