How is Tucson, AZ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How is Tucson, AZ?

I am flying there in October/November. How is it?

No replies?!?!

Comment

How is Tucson, AZ?

Well, I've been there like 3 years ago, and as far as I remember, the airport itself was not that interesting. Not to many commercial flights, most interesting is probably Aero California, if they still fly there. On the other side of the runway opposite the terminal is Hamilton Co.(?), where there used to be a lot of retired a/c. Other interesting aviation spots are the Pima Air Museum east of the airport, adjacent to Davis Monthan AFB, storage for seemingly hundreds of former AF KC-135's, B-52's, F-4's etc.
      Going north on I-10, there's of course Marana (Pinal Air Park) with lots of especially 747's. As for spotting, you can get onto Davis MAFB by calling them in advance, but I believe access to Marana will be denied.
      I hope I was of a little bit of help

Comment

Tucson can be a very interesting airport to visit, but a car is a necessity. Hamilton Aviation have two compounds full of stored airliners on the west side, limited photography is possible of the inmates here, preferably in the afternoon. This area is close to the threshold of 11L and 11R, so good landing shots are possible from here if the wind is right.
        To the south of Hamilton (and the technical school, which has an ex-Air Kampuchea L1011) are the Bombardier ramps - some good shots of Challengers and Learjets are possible from certain areas around their facility, but they don't encourage visitors.
        Southeast of the terminal is the freight area, shots can be had here before 1200 or so. A mile or so past here going southeast by the fire-school is the hulk of an old Caravelle.
        The terminal area itself is not too busy, and photography after about 1200 is all but impossible. To the north of the terminal is the ANG area, chock-full of F16's - the resident 162FG provide all NATO and ANG F16 training . Their area is almost impossible to shoot, but serials can be read off from near the Hamilton compound.
        Five miles east of TUS is Davis-Monthan AFB (and AMARC, or "The Boneyard".) The nearby Pima Air & Space Museum (also well worth a trip, one of the best in the country) run coach tours of AMARC - check their website for booking and prices (www.pimaair.org.)
        Other nearby airports include Ryan Field, 10 miles west of TUS for ARDCO's DC4 firebomber fleet, Avra Valley (12 miles north of Ryan) for 2 Connies and the old CAS DC4 fleet, and Marana/Pinal Air Park north of Avra - good luck shooting anything here, though, spotters/photographers are absolutely forbidden.
        If you have some spare time (and cash) the FBO at Avra (Tucson Aero Services) will sell you an hour in a 172 - Marana is a public-use airport, and you can get some reasonably good shots from a Cessna doing touch-and-go's. IF DM are feeling co-operative you can also get an overflgiht of DM and AMARC, which is an incredible experience.

Hope the foregoing is of some use,

All the best, David

Comment

Aero California
          What is that? Where do they fly? Do they have a website?

Unfortunately, I am flying CHS-DFW-TUS on DL. I like DL, but I am sick of CRJ's! That's almost all we get at CHS, look at the flight scheduals!
          On the way back, I am flying TUS-ATL-CHS on a 738 and an MD 88 . The 738 will be comfortable for a cross-country flight!

Comment

How is Tucson, AZ?

Aero California is a La Paz, MX based airline that operates a pure DC-9 fleet including 11 85-seat -14/15s and 11 104-seat -32s. They have a codeshare agreement with AA and serve only LAX und TUS in the USA, I think from Guadalajara or Monterrey, but I don't know for sure.

Comment

If you can buy an hour in a Cessna at the local FBO, how do you find someone to fly it???

Bruce
              View my photos at JP.Net
              Home Airport: Jackson - Evers Int'l (JAN) - Jackson, MS
              Camera: Canon 50D, 100-400L/17-85 lenses

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce
                If you can buy an hour in a Cessna at the local FBO, how do you find someone to fly it???

Bruce
                You should also be able to get an instructor. Most places offer photo flights where you pay for the pilot and plane.

Comment

Bruce
                  Sweet Blessed Mary, you dug up a four year old thread to ask that!?

Comment

Since this thread is alive again just a litty FYI. KTUS is not very spotter friendly as of late. The last time i was there i noticed that some of the UAE F-16 starting to taxi. So i drove over to the terminal to get into position to get a couple of shots of them. Within 10 mins i had 3 Tucson police officers surrounding my truck and running an ID check.

I was told that if i was caught back on KTUS property for any other reason other than catching a flight i would be arrested for trespassing

This is the last shot i ever got at KTUS
                    [photoid=5700144]
                    Robin Guess Aviation Historian, Photographer, Web Designer.

http://www.Jet-Fighters.Net
                    http://www.Jet-Liners.Net

Comment

Well the reason I dug up such an old thread is that I'm planning a trip out west and i did a search for more info and found this thread. I wanted to try and get aerial views of the boneyards, and shoot around TUS. I'd also be going to PHX as well, which I hear is much more friendly.

BTW, how good are the other airports around Phoenix for shooting - the smaller ones?
                      View my photos at JP.Net

Comment

BTW, how good are the other airports around Phoenix for shooting - the smaller ones?
                        My 3 choices in the Phx area other than KPHX is:

Williams Gateway for transient Military also Allegiant and Vision fly into there

Luke AFB for F-16's

Falcon Field for the CAF Museum

Comment

Thanks for the tip on the CAF! But as for Williams and Luke, do you have any tips on shooting there??

Bruce
                          View my photos at JP.Net

Comment

Bruce,

There is a mound between the FBO and the PAX terminal at Williams that is great in the afternoon and you can use a ladder right next to the fence if you wish.

This was shot from the mound
                            [photoid=5996312]

As for Luke take a look here for spotting information.

http://www.jet-fighters.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31

Comment

Working...
                            X