Southwest to Serve KBOS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southwest to Serve KBOS!

Low-cost carrier Southwest Airlines Co. said it plans to begin flying out of Logan International Airport by the fall, a long-awaited move that could drive down airfares for Boston passengers.

In an exclusive interview with the Globe, chief executive Gary Kelly said the airline is planning ‘‘a conservative launch’’ with between eight and 12 daily departures from Logan. He said Southwest probably will initially just fly to a couple of destinations, but the airline does not plan to unveil its new routes until the spring. Southwest’s arrival in Boston, Kelly said, will result in 35 to 40 new jobs at the airport.
    Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Certainly interesting, I bet some major gate reshuffling is in the future for some airlines at BOS.

Comment

Originally posted by Foxtrot View Post
      Certainly interesting, I bet some major gate reshuffling is in the future for some airlines at BOS.
      Could be one of the places DL is reducing gates?

Comment

I believe they already fly out of (KMHT) Boston-Manchester in NH. I flew them to Vegas a few years back.

Comment

They also serve Providence (PVD).

Interesting move, though I can't say it's that much of a surprise after WN went into SFO and LGA. Still, it's a move motivated by weakness, as strange as that may sound -- basically, Southwest has excess capacity in the current slow economy, and WN is putting it where they think they can make money. And that's in the major markets/airports that they haven't previously served.

Comment

Another development to monitor, especially if the opening and eventual expansion of BOS won't occur at the expenses of PVD and KMHT. To be ctd.
            Thanks for visiting
            *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
            *JetPhotos*
            Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Interesting choice by WN, looks like they are really going after business travelers and are trying to hurt the "big boy" money making airports. Manchester, New Hampshire (KMHT) and Providence in my opinion will likely lose some service as WN grows at KBOS. Southwest has historically done extremely well at big airports like Philladelphia and Denver, so it will be interesting to see how they do at LGA and Boston Logan.

Rohan

Comment

Originally posted by uy707 View Post
                Another development to monitor, especially if the opening and eventual expansion of BOS won't occur at the expenses of PVD and KMHT. To be ctd.
                Southwest will remain committed to PVD and MHT. I predict the first flights from BOS will be used to lure business travelers into the rest of the network via MDW and BWI. Only after the business routes are in concrete will we see leisure routings down to MCO, FLL and such.

Comment

Working...
                X